Slow connection - Fire Fields

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Sskakzk'krr

Slow connection - Fire Fields

Post by Sskakzk'krr »

Me and my bro were messing around and found out that the crosses go poof to so we casted fire fields(bout 200 each) and my god lol Sounded like a jet was beside us but back to the prob. Well it keep kicking us off from slow connection.I don't really think someone will cast 500 fields like us but thought I'd post ne ways.

MD
Bror

Slow connection

Post by Bror »

I guess you were casting the fields fast one after another? Doing VERY MUCH more actions than your character speed allows, during a short time interval (mostly by using macros) will also cause the "slow connection/macro error"
Damien

Slow connection

Post by Damien »

Many fire fields seem to cause a bit lag, not only to the caster, but to the people near them. But that must be MANY fields... hehe.
Sskakzk'krr

Slow connection

Post by Sskakzk'krr »

hehe just ask kyu we were on a roll with the fields lol.

MD
The Brother

Slow connection

Post by The Brother »

Bror,

YOU CAN USE MACROS?! Why didn't someone tell me?! LOL j/k

Anyhow, yes It was Fun Brother, but I think our protests went in vain.

The cross is such a.... HUMAN symbol.... I find it disturbing.

Bro
Elminister

Slow connection

Post by Elminister »

Back to "SLOW CONNECTION"...
Today there were 15 users (with me) online and a group of 5 men (one of them was me ;)) I think went to the cave with the beholders and so on...
But when I tried to do something, there was a veery great Laggg... I died 2 times just because of the lagg... I think that (when more people play it) this would happen more and more...
Bror

Slow connection

Post by Bror »

The lags are mostly created by the server network connection. The server should be able to handle about the 10 times the players like now (and it is only a 233 MHz Prozessor). The server is located in our university network and if some people start a huge download from somewhere, the server speed goes down to nothing. We checked what the price for an own connection for the server would be, but even for the current amount of players we would be charged about 500 US$ a month to keep it running.
Damien

Slow connection

Post by Damien »

University network is okay. In nighttime, not many ppl will download from there hehe...
And most (bigger) Universities enlarge their connection every some years. Just to play with the new tech i guess sometimes, but it's needed hehe, you all know.
I worked in a University tech part some time, and hell it's really annoying when Napster downloads become as slow as standard ISDN connections due to network traffic so you can't download more then 10 things at once in the breaks while eating  *ggg*

(Edited by Damien at 1:19 am on May 2, 2001)
Bror

Slow connection

Post by Bror »

We have even a larger traffic at nighttime. In this university the students live in the university area and do their downloads at night...
And the connection speed is not increasing as fast, as the size of the downloads increases (two years ago, most people downloaded about 10 MB per day, today they download whole 2 hour movies...). A faster connection needs more money and the german defense funds is almost empty (which is responsible to pay our connection).
Sir Draken

Slow connection

Post by Sir Draken »

ya...even 20-30 fields cause lag for me *g*
Dax

Slow connection

Post by Dax »

I'm alittle ignorant on network server connection computer things..

IS it possible to build one? If so what would you need I may be able to help.
Bror

Slow connection

Post by Bror »

Yes, it is possible to build one. To get one of the quality we have right now, it would be about 500 US$ a month (player base may not rise then)

The problem is, that the server is located in the university. The network is shared with many others, that might even have a higher priority (so Illarion lags). When we will leave the university in about a year, the server must be reallocated anyway, but as you can see, internet connections are expensive. The server itself is no problem, since the hardware is our own.
Dax

Slow connection

Post by Dax »

SO in a year, If illarion doesn't have a surcharge it may not be here?

Maybe you could look into "dreads saying the word" a sponser or advertising pitch to help.