Shields

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nilo

Shields

Post by Nilo »

Okay,
To add to the buttload of Proposals that we already have... :lol:

Heres another one...

Most people now use two handed weaons, since we have had the new fighting system. The shields hardly help anymore. And if they DO help, not for long.

Anyway, if your going to get hurt, might as well do as much damage as you can with a two handed weapon, rather than a shield.

I propose that you put the defense value of a shield higher. Also, maybe add a skill "blocking" or something... though we already have parry and dodge.

(btw, arent Parry and dodge like.. the same thing???)

I duno, but if you have a system of numerical values for items, then i suggest that you boost the shield's defense value.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Then it makes two handed weapons useless... :roll:
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

No, not useless. More of a variety really. The two handed weapons right now make the shields useless...
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

It makes things BALANCED not useless
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Cliu,

Which makes things balanced?
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Giving shields better defense
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Having ub3r defense is better then having none at all... eh?
Vindigan

Re: Shields

Post by Vindigan »

Nilo wrote:btw, arent Parry and dodge like.. the same thing???
Parry is where you deflect a blow. You can parry with a shield, weapon or even your hands maybe :? Dodge is just moving out of the way in time.

I don't know about the new fighting system, but it would be kinda hard to parry a war hammer without it hurting your arm, or breaking the thing you are trying to parry it with.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

And for god sake, move the cross away from the ogres :wink:
Rackere Diplomatre

Post by Rackere Diplomatre »

FooserJohn wrote:And for god sake, move the cross away from the ogres :wink:
Yeah, I almost got killed by one of them and if I went to this cross, the ogre would be there (I was near it)... So I would get killed again and again...
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Shields dont need "uber" defense, just a few more points I think. Right now shields do almost nothing....
ezo
Location: Jolly old England. Toodle-pip Heavens above! How smashing!!

Post by ezo »

If a large muscular orc swings his war axe as hard as he possibly can at you and all you have is a shield in the way, one of two things will happen. Either the shield shatters or breaks in some way and the axe continues its journey into you, or the shield stays firm and you are sent flying backwards a few yards and land flat on the floor. Now with dodge the matter is different as you can jump and move out the way of the axe swings and exploit openings in the enemys defence. I don't think shields need to be made stronger but the dodge skill become implemented to a greater effect (I think this might have even already happened)
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

I'm not proposing a Dramatic change...

If all of the items defense values were on a 1 to 10 scale, and a shield was a 6, I propose to make it a 7 or 8.

Not that much different, however, it would make a difference. if you see what i mean. :wink:
Willum

Post by Willum »

I like it nilo.....shields do need a little more protection added.
Bloodhearte

Re: Shields

Post by Bloodhearte »

Nilo wrote:Okay,
To add to the buttload of Proposals that we already have... :lol:

Heres another one...

Most people now use two handed weaons, since we have had the new fighting system. The shields hardly help anymore. And if they DO help, not for long.

Anyway, if your going to get hurt, might as well do as much damage as you can with a two handed weapon, rather than a shield.

I propose that you put the defense value of a shield higher. Also, maybe add a skill "blocking" or something... though we already have parry and dodge.

(btw, arent Parry and dodge like.. the same thing???)

I duno, but if you have a system of numerical values for items, then i suggest that you boost the shield's defense value.
Shields should obviously win in some cases, because they get defense value that the other guy doesn't. But shields should break or get ruined eventually after taking such punishment, and the two handed opponent would tear his adversary up.

Balance is being worked on, I believe. Just be patient. The trick is make a system where people would stop wearing the same damn armor/weapon combo for the technical benefits; variety makes it a lot more fun, and MUCH less of a RuneScape feel.

Therefore, I would suggest that there are only two shields: wooden, and that round heavy metal one. Guys with low strength and/or dexterity attribute wouldn't be able to wear a metal shield, but they can use wood. The defenses are raised, but the difference in metal/wood isn't too varied. No more of this [wood, metal, metal with decorations, metal with other decorations, round metal, lion, knight - higher is better] nonsense. A steel shield is a steel shield, there's no benefit from a particular decoration.
Domitrio

Shields

Post by Domitrio »

I've been playing for a long time (off and on) but I think there MIGHT have been a skill for it a long time ago "shielding" that made you block better. You could just wear two shields and not get hit, and you could do blunt/concussion damage with them. Of course that does seem horrible on RP. I don't get what people are saying about double-handed weapons. They're WAY too fast, and if someone with say a war-axe fought someone with a sword and shield it COULD be even. Think about it, the axe-man attacks over head with his SUPER heavy axe, and the shielder doesn't block totally with his shield, that would be stupid, the shield is used to knock the opponent's weapon off balance. There's NO WAY a shield could take the whole force of a blow from a weapon that big, but it can be used to divert the force off of the target and onto, say, the ground. Also after the shield has been used to defend the blow, there would be NOTHING stopping a sword from going straight through the axe-man's defences. There ought to be a skill used to determine if a shield knocks an opponent off balance. And if the skill works the next hit the Shielder does with his weapon should be a "Critical hit" there would be no defence. That would kind of even out the HELLACIOUS damage that two-handers do, and maybe make people use something other than Double axes. I don't know tho, it's always up for disscussion.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

"shielding" wasnt a skill.. it was all considered Parry.
Domitrio

Shielding

Post by Domitrio »

Well my memory is a little.. fogged. But I thought I did remember that, back in the "By bar is to the "m" in smithing" days. Ohh well maybe not.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

There's no real problem with new way shields work. Back in the old system if you didn't have a shield, you were nuts. The new system gives more weight to the two handed weapons, which makes since. Shields do some help though.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I'll admit Fooser, that could be correct. The two handers aren't getting total domination (I think).

But still, there are way too many shields that give obvious benefits in defense. I say their defense varies, or is all the same; decorations are just for whoever has the taste.

Just wooden and metal, please. There's still that neverending fad of everyone wearing a knights shield.