Dyluck's "Old School RPG" Of Illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Dyluck

Dyluck's "Old School RPG" Of Illarion

Post by Dyluck »

Edit: April 26, 2004: Dyluck pretends to be a newbie, writes a poem to assure he's not, and says hi.

Edit: Sept 01, 2004: Added installation instructions and manual for "Legends Of Illarion" to first page of this thread.

Installation Instructions

MS Gothic Font is needed to play the game, unless you want to play with a screwy looking font. Download it here if you don't already have it:
http://www.wafu.ne.jp/3dlogo/fonts/msgothic.ttf
(Put it in the /Fonts/ subdirectory of your Windows dir) You may have to reboot afterwards, but maybe not.

1.Download the zip file and unzip all the files to a folder (You might get some message about long names, but I don't think it matters). Double click the setup.exe file that you get from the zip file.

2. Select the folder to install the game to. I think it might be best to keep it in the same folder. Two additional options that can be selected are create start menu shortcut and add uninstaller. Click [Begin] and the installation will start.

3. Begin playing by using the menu shortcut or the RPG_RT.exe in the folder you installed it to.

4. Enjoy the game.

Oh yeah, and you download everything at your own risk, etc etc.

Controls:

(Up) > Up arrow key, [K] [8]
(Down) > Down arrow key, [J] [2]
(Left) > Left arrow key, [H] [4]
(Right) > Right arrow key, [L] [6]
(Decision Key) Talk/examine/select > [Enter] [Space] [Z]
(Cancel Key) Open/Close menu, cancel > [Esc] [X] [C] [V] (B) [N]

Note: Numbers refer to keypad

[F4]: Toggles between full screen and window mode.
[F5]: Toggles between normal size and double size in window mode. Sometimes, if the game is slowing down, toggling to normal size or vise versa may help.
[F12]: Returns to the title screen.

By the way, you can usually save anywhere.

Player's Guide
Not exactly spoilers, but maybe you just want to figure
out every little function on your own? If so, don't read on.

There's also one important piece of advice at the end, but if you're feeling confident, then just ignore it.

Edit: I've blackened out the text, so highlight it if you want to read it.
:wink:

Basic Battle Commands

Fight: Attacks with weapon
Defend: Damage taken is halved for duration
Item: Use Item
Escape: Attempt to escape from battle

Some Special Commands (with not so obvious uses)

Invoke Chi: Use Chi skills. Hit rate is not 100%
Archery: Uses skills from arrows possesed in inventory
Might: Attack with doubled power, but halves defenses for a while
Disinhibit: Changes stats for the battle, but lose control of character

Final piece of advice:

Some of the functions of the moves under "Conquer" may not be obvious at first, but you'd better figure them out quickly if you want to live. :)
Last edited by Dyluck on Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neonfire

Post by Neonfire »

Nice to see you around.
Drogla

Post by Drogla »

so...Dyluck is back..
yay
Galim

Post by Galim »

:shock:
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

Who the heck is Dyluk?
hehehe..just kidding. Welcome back.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

OMG who let this n00b in?

Just kidding, welcome back ol' boy.
Caranthir the great

Post by Caranthir the great »

Welcome back.
Gurik Elvenstar

Post by Gurik Elvenstar »

welcome back!
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

It makes a change to be typing welcome back... :D

So, welcome back!
Shukk

Post by Shukk »

Oh no, the master of all those mages is back! :shock:

Welcome Back, anyway :lol:
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Does this mean there is going to be a mage academy again.

*Begins drooling*
Damien

Post by Damien »

Well, i join into the ranks of those saying : it's good to see you around again.

...YEEEE-HAW ! :D
Moyáve

Post by Moyáve »

Dyluck, dear! Don't you dare to ever get lost again. :)
Turnupto

Post by Turnupto »

Welcome back Dyluck :)
Mishrack

Post by Mishrack »

Good to see you again, old boy, but will you be staying over or is this just a cruel one night-stand to get our hopes up?
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Ah, you're a sharp one aren't you Mishrack? :)

In a way I suppose I must have been missed, and at the same time not been missed, all by the same people that is. To be missed and say that I had left you, would require to say that I had been here in the first place. However, even before I had left, my actual presence was less than frequent and most of my work had been on the boards. My last days here were spent mostly making trades and spying from the sky. The last time I was actually frequently in the game was probably late 2002. Many of you who were new then and consider yourself old now have probably met me not more than once in game.

So am I here to stay now? Well, first comes the bad news. No, I won't be actually playing the game, or even playing on the rpg boards anymore. For me to properly emmerse myself and my stories back into the game now would require me to use twice the effort than before because of reasons beyond my control, and it just doesn't seem worth the effort to me anymore. These and other more specific reasons however, I will not discuss at this time.

Now here comes the good news. I'll still be board trolling around here and see how things go. I still may play the game once in a rare moon if they get most of my characters fixed, though I probably still won't come in as Dyluck.

And now for even better news yet. I may not play the game now, but instead I'm going to work on making my own single player rpg game based on Illarion, and some nay a lot of your characters will be in it! :D Oh and of course you'll be able to download and play it! In fact, I'm planning three games right now, though I'm just being ambitious and really just a beginner at this who will be lucky to complete the first game.

Here's the plan so far:

1. The first game will be based on the beginning of Dyluck's life in Illarion up to approximately the first time I left Illarion. The main character will probably be Dyluck either alone or in conjunction with someone else.

2. The second game will be based on approximately my first return to Illarion up to present day. The main character will be someone other than Dyluck, probably a newer character. This will obviously be harder to make due to my lack of actually experiencing many key events first hand in game. I might just combine parts of this game into the first one, or just leave this one altogther.

3. The third game will be based on the world of Illarion 20 years from now. The main characters will be Roke, and girl named Faye, and a third person to be determined later.

More information to come soon!
Dhalsim

Post by Dhalsim »

Nice to see you Dyluck, old friend :)
veralion

Post by veralion »

Aye Dyluck! Good to see you around. You havnt forgetten about your old friend Ver...I mean, Colossus, the dwarf, have you?!
Oh...do you remember what happened to our pal Gurdman??
Good to see you on the boards again. :)

Chiefy
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

I think Gurdman left for another game a long time ago.

More information on my new game! :lol:

I've finally completed a full recreation of the town of Troll's Bane! Doesn't look exactly the same but I promise it'll feel just like home. :D Now I just have to populate it with characters.

Playable Illarion characters planned so far in the first game: approx 25
NPC Illarion characters planned so far in the first game: approx 100

I'd tell you which characters are playable, but that would spoil the surprise.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Heh, when will we get to play this game...and what exactly are you making it with?
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

I hoping to to be done by the end of maybe 1 or 2 weeks? But that's probably wishful thinking. Things will most likely get more and more difficult as it goes on.

I'm using a program called rpgmaker2003. I've heard that it isn't the greatest thing in the world, but the alternatives are even worse. So this will do for a beginner like me.

That being said, if anyone knows what rpgmaker2003 is, I could really use some help finding battle char sets, char sets, and avatars for orcs and lizardmen. Right now I'm stuck with a cheesy lizard in a visible box for the lizard char set and Chrono Trigger's Frog as the lizard avatar. :shock:
Mishrack

Post by Mishrack »

Right now I'm stuck with a cheesy lizard in a visible box for the lizard char set and Chrono Trigger's Frog as the lizard avatar.
LMAO :D

I gave RPG maker 2000 a try some years ago, was fun but very constricting. Haven't seen the 2003 so can't help, but besst o' luck :D
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Can you put your own graphics in it? I might be able to give you hand.
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

Yes you can, but you gotta make a char set. I use to use it but I got bored and just made crap little cut scenes and that is the farthest I got.
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

Where can you get rpgmaker2003?
Is it only for buying or can you download it?
martin

Post by martin »

Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

You can download it, but since people seem to always start/stop translating various versions, it can become a hassle to track down a working link. So you're going to have to search for it yourself if you want to try it. I should also warn you that a serious desire to make a game will result in days of head banging and desk smashing to figure out how to properly use the program's functions.
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

I found some great forums to help when I tried to make it. Like how to make variables so you can't read certain books without a certain int. lvl and so on.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Update:

-I finally finished figuring out how to program a little mini game after slaving from 2am to 5am last night refusing to give up on it, thinking that I finally succeeded in the end, only to find this morning that I did not, but only thought so because I ran a test improperly, and finally getting it right after another 2 hours this morning of figuring out the program's damn inexpressive names for its functions.

What this all means, is that I'm going to make the mini game somewhat harder to solve than originally planned, just to justify my pain. :P Not that it means much to anyone right now.

-Amazingly somehow I finally managed to remove the box around the previously mentioned lizard char set. But maybe someone good with graphics can help me on this one:
http://www.geocities.com/first_impact/graphics.html

The pig set seems to have some sort of transparent background color or something which is supported by rpgmaker2003. I need to make the orc set have a similar background properties but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. If someone could do it for me, that would be really great.[/url]
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

The pigs look great.