Another Pk idea

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Lord Dark Sunrise

Another Pk idea

Post by Lord Dark Sunrise »

I think this rule taken from Legend of Mir is a good idea for PKs. Maybe something similar would help solve some problems in illarion

…..
PK rules from legend of Mir

To return in normal status from PK status you have to wait a certain amount of time without doing any further PK.
When you die in PK status, the probability for dropping items you wear is 3 time higher than normal character.
We classify PK as followings.

PK value               \ 0 - 99\100 - 200      \ 201 -
Character color\white\yellow      \red

If you do PK when you are in PK value 101 the new value will be 201 and you will revert back to yellow very soon. But if you do PK again at this moment this value will become 299 or over. In this case you will need a lot of time to get back normal status from PK status.
* we would not restore your character at any case when you become PK, so you should solve your problem yourself
…..
Dyluck

Another Pk idea

Post by Dyluck »

I've seen a similar system in the game in the last game that I played
The problem was people would get "normal" alignment characters to bug and attack other players so that they would kill them and turn "pk" status. Then people would try and kill them out of "justice" or hope to get their item drops.
sean

Another Pk idea

Post by sean »

hey hey LOM i was soo good at that game, but then it went PvP
Astral

Another Pk idea

Post by Astral »

We need to do something serious about PK's, not just rate them!  How is the server going to develop a just way of deciding PK's?  It is a roleplaying game.  PK's are non-roleplay killers, and it defeats the purpose of the roleplaying idea when we recognize them IN-GAME for PKing.
Korwin

Another Pk idea

Post by Korwin »

yes you would have to have some way of telling "PKing" from an in-game killing
or even dueling.
RagingSpirit

Another Pk idea

Post by RagingSpirit »

A game called Lineage has a perfect pk system.

If you kill someone lawful or neutral, you will automatically turn chaotic.
Anyone who kills a chaotic person will gain alignment.
Anyone who attacks another person that is lawful or neutral can be targeted and killed within a certain amount of time with no penalty.
Chaotic people can turn neutral and lawful again by killing monsters (should be evil monsters) or killing chaotic people.
Chaotic people drop more stuff than neutral and lawful people.  The more chaotic, the more things you drop.  Opposite for lawful people.

Well, maybe not completely perfect, but the chaotic person only has a very small problem.
Dyluck

Another Pk idea

Post by Dyluck »

That was the game I was talking about.

The difference is that Lineage is a completely different kind of game and this is a roleplaying game where we can't justify that a person who kills a "lawful" or "neutral" person should become chaotic. And as I mentioned, people use "chaotic alignment" as an excuse to attack people with that alignment and motivated of course from they will have a high rate of dropping items, OR here they may use it as an excuse to be evil and kill people when they HAVE that alignment too.
Caranthir the great

Another Pk idea

Post by Caranthir the great »

and then there would be the foreverlasting problem, the "good" bullies, good guy annoys and picks figths with other good guys and makes them to attack him, they turn chaotic and he kills them without any penalty.
Sabrina

Another Pk idea

Post by Sabrina »

If there is anything to be done about PK's it is to punish for PKing out of roleplay reason, and then educate them.

Secondly create a solution in game with characters, an organization or GM's

Honestly PK's add alittle to the game IF played well. However if played well you wouldn't be called a PK but maybe a Villan of a thief or scum.

I believe once new land items and creatures come into play PK will dropd ramatically and "hopefully" at that time someone will begin to create a centralized underground "Mafia"

If played right it would be interesting.. I've been tossing the idea around myself.

Happy gaming.
Astral

Another Pk idea

Post by Astral »

A roleplaying Pk is sort of contridictory in its terms, but we know what is meant.  Like i have said, we need the GM's to deal with the Pk's, not other players to kill them.
Bror

Another Pk idea

Post by Bror »

I doubt any of the suggested systems are any good (I doubt there is ANY good system).
The problems (already mentioned) are:

Who is defined a PK?

Where does your ?alightment? (good/neutral/evil) come from?

Just a few thoughts:

Is a person who kills another player a PK?
Someone who defends against a thief is a PK?
An executioner, who kills a criminal, legalized by law, is a PK?
Is a peace loving person, who is called a pig by someone and kills the person for the word "pig" a PK?
Is an unstable person with angry temper, who is called a pig by someone and kills the person a PK?
How can a computer determine if a behaviour is in character or out of character? This must include taking a look at the background story, at the things that happend to the character, perhaps a few weeks before.....

Who is good/neutral/evil? Do people define this theirself? What about someone that defines himself good, but who is going into a killing spree every few minutes.
How could a computer define who is good or evil?
Is someone good, who donates money for something? Is he still good, if he doneates the money for the assasination of the high priest? Is someone evil who donates money for an assasination, but who is being threatened to be killed if he doesn't donate?

For those who don't know about programming: Computers seem to be smart, but they only do EXACTLY what the programmer tells them.
If I tell them a PK is someone who kills, every person who kills a skeleton would be a PK.
If I tell them a PK is someone who kills players, the executioner and the one defending against a thief would be a PK.
If I allow thieving as a kill reason without beeing a PK, someone would be justified to kill a poor peasant who takes a cherry from a rich person who has loads of food before him.
(Nevertheless it is also practicaly impossible to judge what is stealing for a computer...)

To judge a PK can only be done by humans (well, maybe dwarves and elves too, definitly no orcs)