Ranks again.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Karrock

Ranks again.

Post by Karrock »

Before VBU was made some people had an idea to create a three archetypical towns for three main classes. For warriors, mages and crafters. The concept said that politics should be placed in a lasting system. The experience from Gobaith shown that government ruled by players change even day after day. Big number of players miss the time when they could lead their politics like they wanted. If they could not stand in Trollsbane they move to create own towns, settlements. But this had also the bad side. Most settlements were empty. I consider devs used the rule of "Okham's razor" -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
This is how we have three mechanical-class towns. And the idea of division is still lasting and developes. Each town have own crafts and own names for ranks. To unite this all three systems in the one system they put inside also the magic gems. People are forced to trade them to invest in their characters strenght. This summarized system in my opinion has the wrong fundaments. Why characters must be forced to make good relationships with the people? I don't understand this. And with the ranks. If you want create a warrior then your last thought is to join Runewick. Similar if we speak of mages and Cadomyr. Mage in Cado might last though. In the history nobles used knowledge and wisdom of a wise people. With a little imagination you can also create a warrior in Runewick who is not scholar. The main problem are names of ranks. If you play warrior in Runewick you would not introduce your char I am George, doctor: Fight me!
Besides each rank below high-list has no real meaning. I read something I can agree also: the idea that npcs give ranks is not interesting. This is the truth. Ranks should come after character's activity. Perhaps each rank (except the lowest) should be obtained after rp. Not like now doing quests. Maybe players could have possibility to pick up name of the rank they have from a list? (like three names for a rank knight: knight, royal scholar, royal craftman).
This is not a proposal but a brainstorm how the game can make ranks look more logical and fun.
I invite to discuss.
Estralis Seborian

Re: Ranks again.

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Thanks for the input. The rank system is under discussion in the team, so any feedback is welcome.

Though, I am not entirely sure what you propose. The rank names are oriented on trading (Galmair), scholarship (Runewick) and nobility (Cadomyr). This ties in with the lead motives wealth, wisdom and honour. But there are no classes associated nor are "classes" generally restricted to towns.

If you want to propose different names for certain ranks, please have a look to the current names and propose specific changes:

https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... ctions.lua

You mentioned the description of factions in the tutorial. Please have a look at these two NPCs and check what should be modified and how:

https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... willow.npc
https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... aficht.npc

Thank you!
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

I read those links. I have not found any wrong information (except one out of the topic). Perhaps I based on the informations what existed a few years ago. I do remember that when a curson is placed on the teleports there some texts appear. Or were they signposts? I remember that somewhere in the newbie island (perhaps in the past) were informations about characters of the towns. I mean an informations what should not be represented, because this should be result of pcs rp. Like Runewickians are very proud and despise rest of the world -> such info was there sadly.

The wrong information I'm writting of is hummi->race. This is not true saying that specifical races live or like to live mostly in the definited towns.

Further.

I just think that simple ranks in the each town should have a division to the three forms of being called but still keep character of the realm. So any class character could find there own place. Unless one wants to become high-ranked. I placed before the example for Cadomyr. Let me show a different example for Galmair. This can look like: Patrician, Champion, Counselor. For Runewick: Docent, Guardian, Technologist.
The nature of the towns is kept but also being a member of a different class is still interesting.

To the giving the ranks. This should go from the town's leader to below. Town's leader promotes a highranked people and they promote a medium ranked people and a medium ranked people promote those below them. Just a few border ranks give possibility to rank those below. Not all ranks give possibility to rank up. This makes everyone important in the politics and in the towns. Let players do this. Rp is the key.

Thank you for your reply.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I created an issue for Hummi Olaficht:

https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... issues/105