*.itx and *.wav files license

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nikita_Sadkov

*.itx and *.wav files license

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Hi! Can I use the graphics and sounds from Illarion in some other game, say a turn-based strategy?

The license section says "maps and game content are released under AGPLv3". Does that apply to only to *.lua scripts, or also to *.itx, *.wav and *.mid files?

If yes, whom should one credits for these files and are the original 3d models available?

Thanks!
Nitram
Developer

Re: *.itx and *.wav files license

Post by Nitram »

Hello,

First off: Where did you find *.itx, *.wav and *.mid files? Neither *.wav nor *.mid is used anymore in Illarion. And I don't even know what *.itx is supposed to be.

Now regarding the license. As of right now only the map and the source code is licensed as AGPLv3. The graphics, sound effects, music und 3d models are closed source.

Best regards,
Nitram
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Nitram wrote: First off: Where did you find *.itx, *.wav and *.mid files? Neither *.wav nor *.mid is used anymore in Illarion. And I don't even know what *.itx is supposed to be.
itx are the pre-rendered graphics. I found them as part of Illarion-Website website repository:
https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... n/download
Nitram wrote:The graphics, sound effects, music und 3d models are closed source.
Yet they are marked as "license": "AGPL-3", if we believe the
https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... poser.json
and "Homepage: Source: Open Source" in the
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=35766

There is no indication, they are not the part of open source release. Besides these *.itx, site repository has lot of other artworks, including the preview of itx in png format:
https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... pics/chars

so that should give me the right to use them under AGPL-3? :twisted:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The things that are part of the website repository are indeed AGPLv3 unless otherwise specified on a per file base.
There are some libraries in that repository you found that may be licensed differently. This mostly applies to any *.jar file with embedded license information.

The graphics you found on the website are left overs someone forgot to remove. If you want to use the graphics there, feel free to do so. But we are not using that format any more.
The ITX files are as far as I remember simply the uncompressed RGBA textures as they are send into the OpenGL driver. Very simple format.

The newer versions of the client use simple PNGs. I guess there is not much of a point creating a new decoder for that. :wink:

AGPLv3 mostly allows you to do what ever you want with the sources. But we are always thankful for any credits to our project.
And good luck with your project. :)

Best regards,
Nitram
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Nitram wrote:The things that are part of the website repository are indeed AGPLv3 unless otherwise specified on a per file base.
There are some libraries in that repository you found that may be licensed differently. This mostly applies to any *.jar file with embedded license information.

The graphics you found on the website are left overs someone forgot to remove. If you want to use the graphics there, feel free to do so. But we are not using that format any more.
The ITX files are as far as I remember simply the uncompressed RGBA textures as they are send into the OpenGL driver. Very simple format.

AGPLv3 mostly allows you to do what ever you want with the sources. But we are always thankful for any credits to our project.
And good luck with your project. :)

Best regards,
Nitram
Thanks you for the answer. I will share these ITX files at https://github.com/saniv/free-game-art crediting illarion.org. They could be useful to some people during prototyping. Although there is no attack animation for any of the mobs.
Nitram wrote:The newer versions of the client use simple PNGs. I guess there is not much of a point creating a new decoder for that. :wink:
What is the point of using PNGs, when JARs already compress graphics using the same zlib? It is like you double the decompression time.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Correct the old graphics don't contain any animations aside from the walking.

Regarding the PNGs: Since you are writing a decoder library you should know the difference between PNG and a simple deflate compression. PNG uses pre-filtering and pattern recognition to reduce the raw data size of the image before it is passed to the deflate algorithm. And that makes a lot of difference.
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Other questions: if maps are open source, does that mean other people can create games or novels set in the world of Illarion? I've noticed Illarion-based RPGMaker game already.
Nitram wrote:Regarding the PNGs: Since you are writing a decoder library you should know the difference between PNG and a simple deflate compression. PNG uses pre-filtering and pattern recognition to reduce the raw data size of the image before it is passed to the deflate algorithm. And that makes a lot of difference.
Still a waste if placed inside jars. Although I'm sure, ZIP has uncompressed files support. Dunno If JARs supports that.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Hello,

yes the map is OpenSource and subject to constant change. If you want to use it you can do it. If you want to improve it and loop the improvements back to us you can do so to. :wink: The map is licensed as AGPLv3 as well. So you basically can do what ever you want with it. Crediting Illarion is not required, but always appreciated.
Spin-off games/stories can be created too, such as the two Legends of Illarion games. How ever those are not part of the official story and background of the game unless specified otherwise.

In addition to the "novels" about the game: Illarion is a roleplaying game. A considerable part of the game is the stories the players create both in the game and on the forums. The world of Illarion that was created is meant as a foundation for stories like this.

Best regards,
Nitram
Damien

Post by Damien »

The spinoffs, however, refer to the old background (which is mostly not used anymore nowadays, and the small parts still in use have undergone some changes). Both spinoffs are very well done and very worth a play on their own.