Character descriptions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hew Keenaxe

Character descriptions

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

I started this game shortly after applications were needed. i am sure many of you wish I had tried just a bit sooner. But, I am asking for a change in the character profile. It seems to me now, all that happens is a pic is added. We know what you look like, it is now paperdolling. I can see your hair or armor. What I want to know, is WHO ARE YOU? That is the real reason for the description part of our log on. I am not asking for a test to see if you qualify. I am asking that you know your character. Do you know who you are playing?
GolfLima

Re: Character descriptions

Post by GolfLima »

at the beginning i had a char description in GER but i deactivated one day and since than no description is to be seen

am Anfang hatte ich eine Char Beschreibung, die ich aber eines Tages deaktiviert habe und seitdem ist nichts mehr zu sehen.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

First problem with long description for me is hard with translating all to english. Second problem is if even I would write long description it's really hard to remember all informations gathered there and play right to them. From time I made my new char Titus Marcelius I changed some details while playing be sure that playing true "evil" char is not possible for me. I'm trying also to not put informations about feelings or beliefs in description on web be sure that can be also changed by me. But general base of char still exist not changed. I wish to answer you better if you could precise what know you have in mind.
If of course I didn't answer you fully.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Just for an alternate viewpoint, I won't read anyone's long character description. If you want a reaction on something in game, I need to see it in game. Then I'm all over it.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

I have a look on everyone's character profile when I come online and there usually is no ingame encounter with a description I have not already read. I like less well written character descriptions better than none, for I am curious what kind of interesting characters people come up with. And due to the relatively writing-discouraging text fonts ingame and the preparation advantage I won't find as much descriptive text in game as in the descriptions.

For my own characters (yes, there are, or at least were, more than Ssar'ney - there are also some few catching dust on other roleplay shards) I wrote rather elaborate texts* with backstory, motivation and stuff and also put considerable work into finding and editing pictures. Then again, I am one to also put quite some effort into fleshing out pen&paper characters.

*The englisch of my older texts is of questionable quality, but hey.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

It's totally up to the player what they want to share ooc with you about their chars and what not. I never had a public char story for my character because I simply don't want you to know it just by ooc means.
I used to have descriptions for both my main characters but after they were deleted by accident two times I didn't find the motivation to rewrite them for a third time yet.
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

Its simple in my opinion and everyone should do this.

I like to read a brief description of a characters look/style - it shows creativity, thought and initial development.

I don't want to read about every tiny wrinkle - or how every strand of ivory hair, glistened with jasmine oil dances in the breeze when ever she passes wind like grass on the open plain.

I like to read a little blurb of a character - just like on the back of a book cover. It gives you an idea/flavor of what its about but doesn't tell you the story.

I don't read life and times the almanac - TLDR
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

I actually deactivated the descriptions and the stories for all of my characters a while back. I realized that I'm not a writer and that I can't write those things without them being extremely cringe worthy. 5/7, will continue to do again for every game I play.

However, I also do read all of them.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Now that you've all been talking about it. Can someone rate this profile for me?

http://illarion.org/community/us_charpr ... d=47f5ee16
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

5/10

Too much yak yak and the picture is goofy.
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... NFLdj2RzOg

Please tell me what you think to long or just right I'm interested in what people think. JC?
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Azure I have not read it now but I read it before. I like your description because it's not so long. For me it's hard to translate all because I still use translator. I know I'm imbecyle coz I play this game following year and still my base of words is poor. So If you would write too much in description I won't read it.I see no excuce to read it with these amount of letters. Anyway I won't rate content.