Greeting and running away // Grüßen und wegrennen

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jupiter
Developer

Greeting and running away // Grüßen und wegrennen

Post by Jupiter »

I have noticed that is has become a common habit of just saying a short "Greetings" to someone you meet and then run away to go on with your other doings. It starts to feel as if meeting other characters is some kind annoyance that you want to overcome as fast as possible so that you can continue to craft/fight/gather resoruces.
I might be wrong but I have the strong feeling that this wasn't as bad in the past as it is now. I guess this might have to do the possibility of running. It happend more than once to me that I greetded someone, the person greeted back, I was typing something else but before I was finished, that person was already gone. Sometimes, I can't even write two words before the other person feels. PreVBU it took you longer to get away from someone else so he had a chance to say something addtional to you. Nowadays, I sometimes get the expression that "Greetings" is nothing more but an alibi, an excuse. "Well, my char is not ignoring him! He does greet him!". But roleplay should be more than "greetings".
This is not directed at anyone in particular but a general phenomenon. Also, I do not exclude myself from this critique.

Sometimes, you are doing something and maybe you want to finish to get an other load of e.g. coal before stop playing, but this is a true roleplay game after all. Especially since we are just a few players now, we should cherish the encounters with other players instead of running away from them.

So I would like that we all take two principles to our hearts:

1. Do not simply let your char say "Greetings" and leave it at that. Add an other phrase, ask the other person how he its, insult him or whatever. But you could also add an emote. If you are busy working, why not indicating that? Describe what your chars are carring, how you look. Working in mines will leave you dirty and sweaty and fighting maybe with some marks of your foes.
But don't just run and give the other player(!) the feeling that you run away from him and roleplay.

2. Give the other players time to react.
I don't think that needs any futher explanation.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ich habe festgestellt, dass es eine allgemeine Angewohnheit geworden ist, nur kurz "Grüße" zu jemanden zu sagen, wenn man ihn sieht und dann gleich wegzurennen, um mit anderen Dingen weiterzumachen. Es fängt an sich so anzufühlen, dass das Treffen anderer Chars eine Art von Beeinträchtigung ist, die man so schnell wie möglich zu überkommen hat, um mit dem Craften/Sammeln/Kämpfen weitermachen zu können.
Vielleicht irre ich mich, aber ich denke nicht, dass es früher so schlimm war. Das mag vielleicht daran liegen, dass man nun rennen kann. Es ist mir mehr als einmal passiert, dass ich jemanden grüße, die Person grüßte zurück, ich schrieb etwas, doch bevor ich fertig war, war die Person längst weg. Manches mal kann ich keien zwei Worte schreiben, bevor sie flieht. Vor dem VBU brauchte es länger, um von jemanden wegzukommen. So hatte der andere eine Chance noch was zu dir zu sagen. Heutzutage bekomme ich manches mal den Eindruck, dass "Grüße" nichts mehr ist als ein Alibi, eine Entschuldigung. "Mein Char ignoriert den nicht! Er hat ja gegrüßt." Aber Rollenspiel sollte mehr als "grüße" sein.
Das ist gegen niemanden betsimmtes gerichtet sondern ein allgemeines Phänomen. Auch will ich mich von dieser Kritik nicht ausschließen.

Manchesmal tut man vielleicht etwas und man möchte z.B. schnell noch die letzte Ladnung Kohle bekommen, bevor man ausloggen muss. Aber das ist immernoch ein echtes Rollenspiel. Gerade weil wir so wenig Spieler sind, sollten wir jede Begegnung mit anderen Spielern wertschätzen, statt vor ihnen wegzurennen.

Daher würde ich es mir wünschen, dass wir uns alle zwei Prinzipien zu Herzen nehmen:

1. Lasst euren Char nicht einafch "Grüße" sagen und es dabei belassen. Fügt etwas hinzu, fragt die andere Person, wie es ihr geht, beleidigt sie oder was auch immer. Man kann aber genau so gut etwas emoten. Wenn man am arbeiten ist, warum weist man nicht einafch darauf hin? Beschreibt, was eure Charaktere herumtragen, wie sie aussehen. Arbeitet man in der Mine, wird man schmutzig und wenn man gekämpft hat, trägt man vielleicht noch einieg Andenken von seine Feinde mit sich herum.
Aber rennt nicht einfach weg und gebt dem anderen Spieler(!) das Gefühl, dass ihr vor ihm und Rollenspiel davonrennt.

2. Gebt dem anderen Spieler Zeit zum Reagieren.
Das Bedarf wohl keiner Erläuterung.
Ultoris

Re: Greeting and running away // Grüßen und wegrennen

Post by Ultoris »

Das erinnert mich sehr an ein Erlebniss meiner Schwester als sie zu einem Elternabend im Kindergarten muste.( vor gut 20 Jahren war das )

Die Kindergärtnerin bat die Eltern doch ihren Kindern wenigstens das Bitte und Danke beizubringen .
Ein Großteil der Eltern stand auf und sagte : Das haben meine Kinder nicht nötig und gingen .
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Jupiter wrote:Ich habe festgestellt, dass es eine allgemeine Angewohnheit geworden ist, nur kurz "Grüße" zu jemanden zu sagen, wenn man ihn sieht und dann gleich wegzurennen, um mit anderen Dingen weiterzumachen.
Immerhin wird Dein Char. noch gegrüßt - manchmal wird man einfach auch NUR ignoriert, weil man in der FALSCHEN Sprache grüßt
:cry:
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Lets not get into a discussion about who gets ignored the most here.

I do agree with Jupiter, he makes some very valid arguments. I have greeted people and struck up conversations only to be completely ignored and have nothing said in return. This is, of course, their prerogative. You cannot force someone to interact with you. I have been told this many times.

So, on that note, Jupiter, you cannot force people to interact with you. They have every right to run along if they wish. Just as everyone has the right to switch to old and block out all us new speakers. There is no difference.
Lia

Post by Lia »

Ich stimme Jupiter zu.

Die paar Sekunden um wenigstens zurück zu grüßen und kurz was zu emoten sollte man haben, wenn man nicht gerade dringend off muß. Selbst wenn der Andere in einer anderen Sprache grüßt. Dann erwiedert man den Gruß auf seiner Sprache, wenn man die fremde Sprache nicht gut spricht. So weiß der Spieler wenigstens. "Aha er spricht meine Sprache vieleicht nicht gut."

Vor dem VBU blieb man wenigstens noch stehen für ein kurzes Gespräch. Zumindestens ist es im Vergleich zu damals der Unterschied doch sehr auffällig gewurden.

Man kann es auch wunderbar in das rp einbringen.

zB. Markus steht an der Truhe als Hans angerannt kommt.
Markus: Grüße Hans
Hans: Hallo Markus, entschuldige ich habe es eilig. ich will ein Sack Kohle noch aus der Mine holen.
Hans klopf sich etwas Kohlestaub von der Kleidung.
Markus nickt. "Dann bis später."
Hans nickt und rennt wieder los.

Das dauert nicht lange und es wurde genau das gemacht wofür der Server gedacht ist. Rollenspiel.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Uhuru wrote:Just as everyone has the right to switch to old and block out all us new speakers. There is no difference.
sometimes it is much more easier to play in old than new :arrow: playing in old is NOT an attack on new speaking players ...why new speaking players expect that old speaking players have to change to new language when new speaking players are joining? Sorry ... i dont like to be pushed to speak a foreign language .... it should my personal private decision to do that or not.
Slightly
Gamemaster

Post by Slightly »

Some really good suggestions there Jupiter.

The speed of the game has changed and I know at times I have slipped into calling out a quick greetings when doing something else.
Sometimes it just takes someone standing up and making the point for you to stop and think about how the way you play might have changed so thank you. :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Da sind ein paar wirklich gute Vorschläge dabei, Jupiter.

Die Geschwindigkeit des Spielens hat sich verändert und ich weiß, dass es mir auch schon paar mal passiert ist, schnell zu grüßen, wenn ich gerade mit was anderem beschäftigt war.
Manchesmal braucht es jemanden, der aufsteht und dich auf etwas hinweist und dich bewegt, nachzudenken, wie sie deine Spielweise geändert hat. Daher danke. :wink:
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

@golflima

It is a private decision.
However, try to do it as a courtesy to other players.
Especially if majority of the players around you know New.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:
It would improve chances of more RP.
It would eliminate the need to explain whats going on.
If its a quest/event people would feel left out. (Unless it has already been mentioned as being in old, in which case majority of players joining will know old)
It also creates the feel that the others are talking behind ones back/ a third wheel.

Thanks to all players who are mindful of this and are already doing it. :)
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

@Greeting and running away.

Yes same here, i have also noticed that i have been doing it myself sometime back.

Things become obvious when its done to us
After some of my keys started getting stuck, this became too obvious.
When i finally finish typing, which would be like a few seconds more than usual, there would be no one around.. :D
It made me think about how many times my chars must have rushed off too, leaving the others with half written sentences.

I should say, that once i started RPing while in a rush myself other characters has been responding well to it and they themselves do it back the next time if they are in a rush.
One of the good things i love about illarion community is that they are quick to adapt to such things to improve RP.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Mr.Oldie wrote:If its a quest/event people would feel left out.
thats what i feel sometimes if all only speaking new ...but seems this is not so important. Sad. :(
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Rules are important to create a good roleplay atmosphere, but no rules can describe how players should behave towards one another. This code of conduct forms a set of guidelines to show the kind of game climate and culture we would like to create in Illarion, where players are respectful, considerate and lenient with one another
This game was made and will always be for two languages which makes it unique and a great opportunity to know and learn of neighbors across the world. Yes your char may be angry, or rude but keep in mind that shouldn't be the player. Allow for limitations, even if it is as simple as a slow typer...Ask yourself a question, are you kind to your fellow players? Why are you playing this roleplay enforced game if not to roleplay? Let's all work together. :)
Lia

Post by Lia »

Ein Spiel mit zwei Sprachen , gerade ein Rollenspiel, erfordert einen gewisses Entgegen kommen.gegenüber den Anderen.

Bietet euch als Übersetzer an. Macht das ruhig ic

Wenn ihr wisst das aus der gerade vor euch stehenden Gruppe alle deutsch sprechen und nur einer deutsch nicht versteht. Dann bittet jemanden zu übersetzen oder übersetzt selbst für den Einzelnen.

Anders herum genauso.

Als schlechter Englischsprecher ist es für mich immer anstrengend, wenn, sobald ein Englischsprachiger dazu kommt alle Englisch weiter rpn.
Wenn dann jemand sich anbietet mir zu übersetzen wäre das toll. und man kann es wunderbar ins RP einbauen.

Geduld gegenüber Leuten mit Sprachproblemen.

Ich sehe Leute die versuchen etwas deutsch zu rpn. Find ich super, erfordert aber auch Geduld wenn man auf einen emote oder Say warten muß.

Ich selbst freue mich über jeden Englischsprachigen der mir die nötige Zeit gibt auf englisch zu reagieren. Wenn man eine Sprache nicht gut kann braucht das etwas Zeit.

Und wenn wir aufeinander immer etwas Rücksicht nehmen kann man auch miteinander rpn.

Egal ob Konflikt oder anderes rp.

I will try to translate it to englisch. And i hope you can unterstand it.

A game with two languages, just an RPG requires a certain Contrary to come towards others.

Provides you as a translator. Does the quiet ic

If you know that all speak German from the standing just in front of you and only one group does not understand German. Then ask someone to translate or translated itself to the individual.

The other way around as well.

As bad English speakers, it is always tough for me, when as soon as an English speaking comes to all English more rpn.

Then, when someone offers to me to translate would be great. and you can install it wonderful to RP.

Patience with people with language problems.

I see people who try something German to rpn. I find great, but also requires patience when you have to wait for an emote or Say.

I myself am looking forward to every English-speaking gives me enough time to respond in English. If you no good can a language that needs it some time.

And if we can successively always take some consideration to rpn also with each other.

Whether conflict or other rp.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I am surprised how the discussion went. The problems that we have with two languages are quite old and well known. However, this topic was not meant about those issues. The problem I tried to describe has nothing to do with English or German, since it happens with German speaking and English speaking players a like.

Ich bin überrascht, wie die Diskussion verlaufen ist. Die Probleme, die daraus entstehen, dass wird zwei Sprachen haben sind alt udn bekannt. Jedoch war dieses Thema nicht über diese Probleme. Das Problem, das ich beschreiben wollte, hat nichts mit Englisch oder Deutsch zutun, da es sowohl mit englischsprachigen wie auch mit deutschsprachigen Spielern passiert.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

I never meant this discussion to turn about language. It was just a comparison. People have the right to make their own decisions about things. Which language to use was just my example.

Just as a side note, something maybe you don't know, in the USA, we are offered to learn German, but very few do. Most take some other language and learn it poorly. Foreign languages here aren't something learned well because they aren't used. So many forget them. It's a sad thing, but true. In my extended family, only one cousin chose to learn German. I have often wondered if he ever had cause to use it.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Uhuru wrote: It was just a comparison. People have the right to make their own decisions about things.
I also have the right to just go on with my own affairs instead of holding open the door for the person right behind me. Yet, that is still poor behaviour. There was no mentionig of rules or forcing people to a certain behaviour. I would just like that we remind ourselves that this is a roleplay game and that we should embrance the interaction with other players rather than going away from it as fast as possible. I believe that this is something all can agree on. If not, I would consider it sad.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I'm in the US and was never given an option to learn German. The school system where I work offers Spanish and Arabic. The school system where I live offers Spanish and French. I had an opportunity to study ASL too but I went to a school that had a lot of deaf students so I think that was probably a unique opportunity. Just saying ...

On topic: I see a lot of people running past. I consider myself lucky to get a quick greeting before I see the back of them. I don't get the sense that people play to RP. I can't figure out what everyone is doing. Maybe running back and forth from fish shoals?
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

guilty
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

I just want to say that i may have done this once of twice. But only because i was in a rush to log off.

I always have time for RP.

and so should you.
Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

Gibt es nicht die Möglichkeit "standartemotes" in der jeweiligen serversprache auszugeben, evtl selber zu kreieren? Mein Problem war immer weniger das Wechseln zwischen englischen und deutschem RP, wenn ich keinen Bock auf englisch hatte blieb ich halt einfach beim Deutsch, aber ein Emote sollte ja schon wegen der Höflichkeit dem POs gegenüber von allen verstanden werden. Das war doch zB bei der der "Erscheinungsbeeschreibung" damals möglich, right?
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I'm not 100% confident I understood that but I read it like a suggestion for a saved emote to display instead of an actual typed one. I'm not sure I see the advantage there. If someone is going to run past with a canned emote, I'm just as happy with a "greetings" or with nothing at all. That said, I'd like to see the saved description return. I'm too lazy to type out my description and most players are too lazy to wait for me to do it. The rest of the saved emotes I can do without. It became a sloppy way to emote an attack and was abused in the old client and no fun at all.

An emote for politeness as a player runs away is the same to me as just running away without an emote. If you're a runner, just run. :lol:
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

I make every effort to stop and communicate or even emote most of the time but I'm also fully aware of some people not making that effort with me because they don't like me or my character. I don't blame them as I'm probably guilty of that too.