Rituals and Illusions

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Achae Eanstray

Rituals and Illusions

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I understood that the latest approval for these were voted per Vilarion here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38905&p=682557&hili ... on#p682557 "So small magical events do not require permission anymore."

I interpreted small magic events meaning between two players in agreement that did not affect the world as a whole... this of course can be up to interpretation. I also didn't think illusion was included. This is similar to making a bandage into a bird and seeing it fly away.
I have now been told ANY magic event not engine controlled requires GM approval. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hence the proposal is to again follow the rules of the poll Vilarion set.

Two issues this addresses... allow more freedom of roleplay, and not have to wait for the one GM we have to approve small issues agreeable between two players that would not affect the world.

Would appreciate to hear ideas, suggestions, areas to alleviate and allow freedom of roleplay.
Also would appreciate back to following the latest poll. I realize the rules of the game don't mention this poll but think it just wasn't placed there after the poll.

It could be also this simply requires clarity.....
Estralis Seborian

Re: Rituals and Illusions

Post by Estralis Seborian »

The rule as per poll result (viewtopic.php?p=682557#p682557):
"A gamemaster's permission is needed for all magical and divine interventions as well as supernatural properties that cannot be realised by the engine and affect the game world or other players."

The rule as per game rules page (https://illarion.org/illarion/us_rules.php):
"A Gamemaster's permission is needed for all magical and divine interventions as well as supernatural properties that cannot be realised by the engine and affect the game world or other players."
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

This is the entire rule as posted per Vilarion:

„A gamemaster's permission is needed for all magical and divine interventions as well as supernatural properties that cannot be realised by the engine and affect the game world or other players.”
So small magical events do not require permission anymore.

Which would leave more room for creative roleplay. This actually is what a lot have been following hence my question. :D
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Even the rule you quoted clearly says "You need a GM permission for magical and divine stuff that's not covered by the engine and affects the sourrunding or other characters."

An example:
Making your belongings hover from your depot to the ground. Fine.
Getting divine help from a god of your choice. ASK a GM.

Or another:
Holding a small flame in your hand to light your char the way. Fine.
Teleporting without a teleporter or a portal book. Nah.

/E: In the past, I have seen people setting up magical rituals without asking for permission before doing it. They then left it up to the GM whether or not their ritual, they came up with, was successful or not. So far, I did not see Slightly denying well rped rituals (for example Artimer's ritual to break the ground beneath the pond in front of Cadomyr).
I think thats a very nice way of dealing with it. Make a ritual - even if the GM is not online - and then tell the GM what you did and what it is supposed to do. He then just needs to say "Yes, okay." or "Nah, that's too powerful". Problem solved.
Custodio

Post by Custodio »

I think the rule should be pretty obvious... Engine can't do it, so you have to emote or describe doing it yourself? It also affects your surroundings or other characters? Ask a GM permission.

So called "small magical events" would include lighting a fire spark or briefly hovering an object. Nothing big, nothing permanent, nothing that affects your surroundings or has an effect on other characters. And they should always have a basis in what the engine allows. Fire spark? Fire wand magic. Hovering? Air wand magic.

So not something like, say; using divine intervention to steal someone's pet dog from them without neither GM permission or the permission of characters involved.
Nor something like casting major spells that can "teleport" your character away in order to avoid the death of your character in a dangerous situation.
Want to cast magic to make a bridge out of water, for you and your party to cross a river? Ask a GM.
These kinds of things are not possible by the engine, affect other characters or the environment, or just plain break rules when a GM's permission is not involved.

It should be obvious that these things need permission, especially when they regard another player's consent on top of that, but somehow that doesn't always seem to be the case for everyone.