Client developmnent VM

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

snus-mumrik
Developer

Client developmnent VM

Post by snus-mumrik »

Setting up the environment for client development can be rather painful, so I thought that maybe a VM with preconfigured IDE could help.
This VirtualBox image (based on Kubuntu 17) has IntelliJ IDEA installed, and a clone of Illarion-Java imported into it. Building and running the client works. Other things were not tested.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIDQUP ... sp=sharing

One issue is that running the client from inside the machine is rather slow - the animation lags. You could try;
- Use smaller window for the client
- Play with VM settings like video memory etc
- Build inside the machine and then run otside

There is also a text file on the desktop with steps that were needed to create the machine.

If this proves useful, I would appreciate if it could be copied to some other location (instead of my google drive).
Seajiha
Developer

Re: Client developmnent VM

Post by Seajiha »

Thanks from me for this. This really speeds up setting up the development environment.

Could you think about creating the same thing for developing server code? So, a VM where the server code can be compiled, deployed and started as reachable server?
snus-mumrik
Developer

Post by snus-mumrik »

Seajiha wrote:Thanks from me for this. This really speeds up setting up the development environment.

Could you think about creating the same thing for developing server code? So, a VM where the server code can be compiled, deployed and started as reachable server?
Good to hear it helps.
I am almost sure that server build can be done based on the Illarion local server VM: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... ldKV0Z2SXc
It needs several packages installed to make the build work. I can check and post a list of commands that make it work. But I can't promise when I do this.
snus-mumrik
Developer

Post by snus-mumrik »

I've managed to build the server inside "local server VM". Things that I've done to make it work:
  • Download and run the VM, connect with PUTTY, as descibed in README.
  • Update all software:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
    sudp apt dist-upgrade

• Reboot (because there was a kernel update)
  • Install missing packages (I iteratively tried building and installed one-by-one when build failed. Not sure that every package is strictly necessary):

sudo apt install libtool automake pkg-config libboost-all-dev liblua5.2-dev liblua50-dev libluabind-dev lua5.2  libpqxx-dev libgtest-dev google-mock

• Get the server source code (e.g. clone from github or clone on host machine and map the folder).
  • In server source dir run:

./bootstrap
    ./configure
    make

• Update the illarion database

cd /home/user && ./update database

• Run the compiled server (I've replaced the /usr/bin/illarion file with symlink to the build, and then started it regularly):

sudo mv /usr/bin/illarion /usr/bin/illarion_original
    sudo ln -s <your-build-dir>/src/illarion /usr/bin/illarion
    /home/user/start

Disclaimer: I am not sure if I've missed some step, and I don't know if this is the optimal/easiest way to make it work.