"Roleplay" work package

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

snus-mumrik
Developer

"Roleplay" work package

Post by snus-mumrik »

When I look at the work packages at the progress page, I feel there is a lack of a "roleplay" package. "Immersion" is a somewhat related package, and it clearly states the motivation for my proposal:
Illarion competes with other games. To stand out as an indie game, it needs features no other game can offer.
But things proposed there (building a house, improving atmosphere), while very attractive and important, do exist in other online games.
The true unique feature of Illarion is the focus on true roleplay, and it should be enhanced as much as possible.
I've suggested this on one Sunday chat with the team, and I was asked what specific features can be implemented. Now I start this discussion in order to gather proposals on this specific direction.
The goal is to organize a list and prioritize between the proposals, and also put it on the "progress" page if it has enough volume.

I myself did think a little about it, and in the following post I put my two cents for the start.
Last edited by snus-mumrik on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snus-mumrik
Developer

Re: "Roleplay" work package

Post by snus-mumrik »

First of all, I think role-play can be of different "degree", for example:
  • simple smalltalk when accidentaly meeting someone
  • group events, like feasts and elections
  • gm-lead plotlines
and everithing in between.
So proposals for this work package may try to improve on any of the above.

Second, I think that RP-related features could be divided in the following groups:
  • Self-expression - features that allow the characters to show who they are, and express their actions, thoughts and feelings in a convenient way
    • Chat is an obvious existing feature here.
      -- One proposal that I've seen here is languages.
    • Emotes are enother feature that already exists
      -- One improvement could be "state" emotes, like sitting or sleeping or reading. Not something too urgent though.
    • Character lookAt is a recently added feature, and it is really cool, but can be improved much more
      -- Personalized descriptions, like the ones on the web.
      -- Look vs stare.
      -- Logging of the information, perhaps in some kind of personal diary.
    • Traits that were proposed recently
  • Promotion of casual RP - features that encourage interaction between players
    • Mental capacity is here to discourage 100% time grinding
    • Player-to-player trade
      -- A dedicated dialog would help
    • Player repairs that were added recently
    • Priests that need followers, as in Ars Magica
    • A random idea: teaching of skills player-to-player
    • Ability for town officials to give some rewards to players for performing tasks. E.g. rankpoints or gems. (suggested by Djironnyma)
  • Plotlines - features that help GMs and regular players to organize quests
    • Currently there are GM tools. I'm not a GM so I don't know if these need improvements
    • I would like to see more regular (non-GM) players leading plotlines, and I'm not 100% sure why it doesn't happen now
      -- On the chat there came a proposal for "GM-light" toolset that would give some specific abilities per player quest, like spawning one type of monster
      -- What I think is needed here is to come up several types of quests that could be organized and then see what is needed. E.g. a "thieves vs cops" quest would need the ability to hide, "search for a lost person" would need items that rot slower for leaving clues
      -- Also some quests neeed actors and I haven't yet seen a player quest with actors, so I guess there is something wrong with that. Now, of course you can create a char for a quest, but he will have no skills and no equipment (you could transfer equipment from another char, but that's against the official rules). And another issue with such char is that once the quest is over and the char is deleted you are left with nothing: almost no one knows who played for the char, no points of some kind are collected.
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Re: "Roleplay" work package

Post by Charlotte-ate-wilbur »

This is reeally good. I wanted to try a proposal like this myself.This is spot on as to what we need.