Wishing well

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Banduk

Wishing well

Post by Banduk »

There is a Mantis for: http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=667

I think it's a nice task to do.

I'd do it with the following parameter and effects:
costs: 10 silver
probability anything happen: 10%
cooldown until next possibility: 4 hrs play time
Effects should not interfere with potions or priest magic
  • The player lookAt shows the other gender during the cooldown "A very beautifuf orc|women|dwarf ...."
  • A merchant forget to take your money during one of the next trades.
  • A merchant pays you twice during one of the next trades.
  • One of the next times you are touching the teleporter you are immediately warped to any other for free. Maybe you are where you wanted to go already.
  • You learn +1 in any skill
  • Malachin favors you, you kill one of your next monsters with a single blow.
  • You find a magic latent gem / pure element the next time you open a chest.
  • You see the position of a random char
  • You earn 1-3 rank points
  • You find an parchment or with lesser probability a treasure map opening a book the next time.
  • You find a mystical cracker.
The same effect cannot be stacked. So if you haven't killed your monster already and got the same effect the second wish is lost. But you could find a cracker.

Positions of the well: Hempty - the existing one north of the teleporter

Any concern or further ideas for effects?
Brightrim
Developer

Re: Wishing well

Post by Brightrim »

While you would obviously know when it comes to things like +1 skill or +rank points, due to getting the message belonging to such, will you know specifically what happened in cases like the next chest you open, next monster you kill, etc? Or will you just get a "You feel lucky" or similar message?

If you know, and get the message that the next merchant you buy from will forget to take your money during one of the next trades, that could be abused by buying a stack of 250 of something expensive? Should maybe be made so it only works on singular items, and not stacks.

Additionally, there should maybe be a cap to how far the +1 skill effect can get you in a skill. Like a maximum of level 90, like with the npcs that reward skill-levels.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Banduk wrote:[*]You learn +1 in any skill
Not a fan of that one.

The player lookAt shows the other gender during the cooldown "A very beautifuf orc|women|dwarf ...."
Why not change the sex? I don't really understand what it is suppoed to tell the players that the sex in the lookat was changed but not the sex of the avatar. That seems confusing. So go for the full sex change! :P
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

I think you got it wrong, Jupiter. But maybe I got it wrong and you got it right...

I think Banduk meant that the opposite gender sees your char being "beautiful". Though I am not a fan of it, since it's subjective and should not be told by the lookAt.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Thanks for the initiative.

I'd appreciate such a wishing well being about small, random effects (Nargùn style) rather than pure elements, magical gems, treasure maps, unlimited money, one hit kills and rank points. A wishing well would be a good example of a lovely feature, features that are not about numbers and profit but about atmosphere. I do not embrace the idea of players camping the well for their next chance on a gem or element. The ticket gives some first ideas but I am sure there are more simple, lovely ideas we can build on.

Also, this "next time" type of events apparently introduces dependencies between scripts, detrimental to maintainability. On a positive note, I think immediate events are much more easy to handle than hooks that e.g. are rooted in the core of easyNPC.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

So I will not do anything here until there are at least 10 possible effects fulfilling the requirements.
- Immediate action (no dependency)
- Attract player to do the well a second time again

This are the only I have left:
- Show the position (direction like treasure map) of a random other char.
- Change gender for a time (That wasn't the original idea but it works)

Since I wrote in the past already a pure atmosphere NPC nobody is using I see no idea what could people attract to use the well.