Minor client improvement: alt-click to turn

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

snus-mumrik
Developer

Minor client improvement: alt-click to turn

Post by snus-mumrik »

Hi,
After the great feature of PlayerLookAt was introduced, I've found it somewhat hard to use because you have to double-click a player and if you miss the avatar then you end up running around like a freak.
So i thought that maybe holding some key would prevent you from walking. And it seems that having alt-click to turn your char instead of walking is consistent with alt-arrow for turning.
And then I thought that it could be a fine task for a noob like me to implement, so I did that and opened a pull-request. The goal of the changes is:
- Alt-click on tile or item or avatar would only turn towards the target.
- Alt-double-click another player would still open naming/lookAt dialog.

I'm not quite sure about the correct procedure. Should I have opened mantis bug? Consult the developers before implementing?
In any case I would appreciate feedback on the idea and the implementation.
Achae Eanstray

Re: Minor client improvement: alt-click to turn

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Am I the only one that "runs like a freak" straight at a character trying to name them also? I would think not just look-at but clicking to name would be helpful to have other alternatives?

PS I have had some tell me they don't bother to use the naming due to just that issue. I haven't used the look-at enough to know. Holding a key to prevent walking might be very helpful :)
Mirai Belisai

Post by Mirai Belisai »

Hello,

the running at happens - i think - when the looked at charakter is obstructed by something.
A table in front or something like that, so the client marks the wrong thing upon that action.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Seconded that adding an alt key to the double click will help alleviate issues with running towards who you are looking at.