One capital city

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Omarcomin

One capital city

Post by Omarcomin »

Hi everyone,

I don't have time to fully flesh out this proposal at the moment but I'd love to hear what some of the veteran players here think about the current server population being spread over 3 cities.

My proposal would be to consolidate the population by creating or naming a capital city with embassies for each of the factions so mechanics don't need to change.

It may be a timing thing for me but often when I am playing there are 5-10 people online but I have difficulty finding anyone to interact with. I assume this is because the population is spread across the whole map.

That would be great if the stable population were higher but it just feels a bit sparse right now.

I dunno - I just think running into people more often would be great. :)
Karrock

Re: One capital city

Post by Karrock »

This is bad idea. The towns difference to each other much. Some players can't play in some towns even when they tried. In Cadomyr you have strict hierarchy with opened ways to advance, in Runewick strong dictature and Galmair remains somewhat democracy. There was opinion that we rather lack one town or settlement for those who are bandits or similar. But for another such town are too few characters (or players). Please try to get know game closer, especially relations between characters and towns. You will notice this idea would be much trouble making for characters.

Read this -> http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... wn+instead
Omarcomin

Post by Omarcomin »

Thanks for the reply. Do keep in mind this proposal is coloured by my impressions as a brand new player. The biggest detractor for me so far has been the infrequency of interaction with other players. Perhaps there are places people congregate I don't know about yet. I guess I'd be more interested to hear more about the benefits of organizing players into rigid silos. I'm sure there have been great results.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Mostly characters gather close to depots or they stay in workshops. If you can't find them there that means they are in mines, fields, forest, hunting etc gathering materials or skilling combat or they just want to be alone to rp in small group.
On page at right side you have description how many players are online. WHen you click it you will get list of chars but also list of current group quests/events. Some chars appear mostly on events.

Consider also if your char wants to be alone hero or just join to group/guild. There are "official" guilds and not formal groups of friends.
Playing a char who has good relations with everyone is very hard.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

The link provided by Karrock leads to a rather profound discussion on adding a fourth city or changing the overall setup to just once city. We also had a voting inside the team on adding such a fourth place and it was clearly declined. Main reasons are that we do not want to spread the current player numbers over four instead of three cities and of course the workload required. It is not a bad idea of course but was brought up previously and declined already.

There is a central, neutral place called the Hemp Necktie Inn. It is not a faction or city but a place where players can meet outside their city without being hassled by monsters. In regular intervals, market events take place there. We all know it is not a replacement for a central, neutral city but you might add the Inn to your daily places to visit. It can be a rough place from time to time, though ;-).
Omarcomin

Post by Omarcomin »

Perhaps what we need is a mechanical "reason" for players to congregate there. If you recall in Vanilla WOW there was only one Auction House for each faction and therefore that city became the defacto 'central' location.

Considering the necktie's reputation for unsavory activity - perhaps an auction house (I realize this is an enormous undertaking to code) exclusive to here would attract more travellers at more regular intervals as they seek out rare and ... illicit items? :)
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Hello and welcome, Omar.

Regarding your immediate issue of having a hard time finding players:

Have you tried IRC? A lot people tend to hang out there while doing boring stuff IG (and are usually hungry for RP).

There's also this thread: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 0&start=60
Which is sadly seldom used, but it's a good idea in theory.

I hear turning up at IG events (regardless of if you're invited or not) is good for finding players too.

If you wanna organize some group RP with a couple of players people are usually open to that idea too.

Or if you like orcs, you can join the Blacktusk Clan. :wink: