Animals running away

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Q-wert

Animals running away

Post by Q-wert »

To keep it short and simple: How about shy animals (foxes, deer, ec.) running away from player characters (and possibly hostile monsters, too)?

Why?
That is what they do in real live and therefore what players expect them to do. It is more immersive if you don't have a deer feeding on grass while ones characters fights undead just a pace away.

While I am unfamiliar with the code behind it, the movement behaviour of backing away is already implemented for hostile ranged creatures.
Jupiter
Developer

Re: Animals running away

Post by Jupiter »

Once we have a proper monster AI, that is planned. I am not sure if we have a mantis task for that but I think it was consent in the staff that monsters should act more naturally.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I started some development in that matter. How ever I did not get far. The code I have basically broke the server, because for some reason the monsters build aggro against each other and wolfs and stuff started attacking and running away from other npc monsters. That generated that much load on the development server that you could feel the slow down on the game server.

The code for that is still around, but is requires some more development and especially thought. Check it out on GitHub

The idea behind this way that the monsters build aggro. Negative aggro means the monsters run away, positive aggro means that the monster attacks. My idea was that the monsters would ignore you at a large distance, decrease their aggro in case you get to medium distance and increase aggro once you get too close. So they would try to keep a medium distance to the player and only if running away is too slow or fails go to attack. But as I said that did not work perfectly fine.

In any case the required API to build very complex behaviour patterns is around. One just needs have a good idea how to implement it. In the end that is a very cool development topic. The influence of a advanced monster AI is massive and the pure amount of code required is not that much. You just need some good ideas how to get this going.

Best regards,
Nitram
maryday

Post by maryday »

anschweißen<->waidwund

((UNDER CONSTRUCTION))
20 minutes from my side:

definitions:
-aggro: (var; -100 to 100)
-equality (...)
-similarity (...)
-temperament (preset; natural aggressiveness of any creature
temperament->approach 1: preset modifier -10 to 10 used to multiply vars
temperament->approach 2: preset actual ammount (-100 to 100) to be modified by another ((yet unknown parameter ; ) ))
-kill satisfaction (...)
-survive satisfaction (...)

behaviour:
-let`s define aggro as a var between -100 and 100
-set monster behaviour to frenzy if aggro = -100 OR 100
-if frenzy creature attack last target or any (closest) target, until death (own or opponent),
depending on temperament -> satisfaction may apply or not (...)

((oops, time out ; )... for now))