Depots at Primary Harbors

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Vern Kron

Depots at Primary Harbors

Post by Vern Kron »

Idea:

Add a depot to the Cadomyr, Galmair, and Runewick harbors.

Reasons for desire:
  • Harbors are currently mostly underused.
  • Provides atleast some minor support to 'outlaw' characters, operating near towns.
  • Helps provide some support to 'secondary' crafts (brickmaking in Galmair, fishing and bananas in Cadomyr, farming in Runewick).
  • Provides the roleplay environment of trade being possible at these harbors.
  • Could encourage use of these areas as opposed to their current barren nature.
Possible problems:
  • Characters being punished by cutting them from town centers could still receive some form of support in this manner. (This isn't terrible from an ooc perspective in my mind, but maybe it is.)
  • May encourage more isolated characters using the area for skill grinding rather than roleplay.
  • Could disrupt the 'central focus' of different regions and towns, (Yewdale may grow in importance for farming, Galmair might be looked to for brickmaking, Cadomyr might be useful for fishing, even though the fish are a little further away.)
I realize that there is a tight control of depot placement and how that interacts with the game. I am fully aware that we do not wish to unbalance the current set up, or any future set up, in any further manner. However, it seems that many of the players have expressed a desire to make at the very least Yewdale more accessable and useful, and for Cadomyr to have some proximity support for the fish that are nearby. This proposal would provide atleast minor assistance to those seeking those answers, while also providing some minor support to the woefully unsupported 'outlaw'.
Uhuru

Re: Depots at Primary Harbors

Post by Uhuru »

Do you see these depots being tied to their respective towns or not? I ask because some other proposals have asked for depots that have no tie in to other realm's depots.... stand alone if you will.

So if a depot in Galmair harbor links to a depot in Galmair town, I am not sure how I would feel about that as it would be too easy to move goods around. Same with the other realms. Gather everything outside of town and presto, it can be accessed inside of town.

Something to consider.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

In my current proposal, I would see them as linked. As it stands, there is an event that occurs with fair frequency that a person could just walk five steps to move the bulk of their goods from one town to another. At least in it's current stand it would take 10 silver per trip to move things, and suddenly moving someone from one town to another can actually be a form of RP instead of playing 'find the portal and run as fast as possible'.

If the concern is on the level of being able to gather a great deal of resources too swiftly, there are currently a couple of factors that limit this: the restock time on said resource, and the abysmally low value that raw resources are worth.

This is not because of the amount of the resource that exists, but because the prices of the game and market are so low that these things are not valuable. The biggest risk of this that I could see, is that the Galmair mud pits are fairly close to the harbor. However, after digging them all up, (let's say, that is 160 bits of mud), transferred that mud to a different town (because Galmair doesn't purchase mud), and turned it into bricks, you would have spent 20 silver, to sell at a total of 128 silver. The result would be a profit of 1 gold, that would take roughly 30 minutes to do. As far as I can tell, that would be the largest resource that could be farmed under the current proposal. Farming vegetables would still take a horrendous amount of time to accomplish (8 gold for 1000 cabbages at the market, and so that is 80 silver of profit).

I understand that convenience comes at a premium. I would fully expect these depots to have to be generated at some expense to someone IG. One of the things that makes games 'games' is that there is an element of risk and reward that happens. That the trade off, on some level, is of value. The current trade benefits of the harbors, and their local resources, is close to 0. In reality, adding the depot won't likely make it significantly better, but it atleast gives some small support to Yewdale, while still maintaining a form of balance with the other towns, and not requiring a new script and client/server work to legitimize these locations. If we were talking about putting a depot for all of the merinium deposits, that links directly to town, that would be a different story.

They take too long to get to, for too low of return.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Interesting where your mind went and mine goes to completely a different place, naturally!

The profit in resources isn't in selling them, but in working them and then selling the results. Like digging sand, making glass products, and selling the products... etc. Farming fruit at the cado harbour, making piles of pies and selling to anyone would be huge income. I don't mind any of this, it all just needs to be considered and the dev team will.

Linked depots would make it super easy on those who are banned from towns, making it much less of a hindrance to be banned.

However, it would encourage people to utilize the money sink of the ferry more. This is the most expensive form of travel we have for a single person.

*shrugs* This is an interesting proposal. It will be interesting to see what happens from all the depot proposals.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Hello,

just as a additional idea because it fits well in this context.

How about a harbour depot for each city that reads something like "Runewick (Harbour)" that is a proper depot that is NOT connected to the town depot.
In addition to that there could be a NPC that is able to transfer goods from one harbour depot to another (for a fee :wink:)

This would add a easier way to transfer goods from one town to another and a adds a proper purpose to the harbours.

Just as a additional idea. The content developers may have additional input in this regard as something like this may effect the game balancing.

Nitram
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

I agree. In my opinion adding a depot which is not connected to any towns depot is better idea than adding towns depot out of towns.
But what do you think about adding vendors out from towns also? In example in Yewdale (or in near of Yewdale) should exist food/cook vendor I think.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I'd rather go for such a conception regarding merchants outside the towns:

http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=10855
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Karrock wrote:But what do you think about adding vendors out from towns also? In example in Yewdale (or in near of Yewdale) should exist food/cook vendor I think.
:arrow: in my eyes this would support Runewick to much
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

GolfLima wrote:
Karrock wrote:But what do you think about adding vendors out from towns also? In example in Yewdale (or in near of Yewdale) should exist food/cook vendor I think.
:arrow: in my eyes this would support Runewick to much
I can't agree. Same vendor is in Runewick and npc is quite short way from kitchen and depot. And second depot is pretty short to fields. But I agree this is not most important idea. I only hope that there will be a good solution how to move items from out of town depots to vendors (even if they are in towns).

How I see this:

It's my goal (or my character's goal) to make Yewdale ultra mini faction which will be depended on Runewick (Like early America to England). Yewdale should be independent in only one craft -> cooking. And has easy way to sell foods to vendor or players and depot there foods. I'm opposite to add there additional tools (not connected to farming-cooking) or to make this village completely independent in politic (there always will be archmage as major leader).

EDIT: It's similar idea to Cadomyrian monarchy. Based on feudalism with only one lord. Sadly in Cadomyr everything is based you're noble or knight or you're none in rp. In my opinion serf can be much more colorful char in rp than always cold, far and directed to war/fight knight. And in game fights are boring and game should be based on relations between people. I read many about feudalism. It's rise and causes to rise. I don't know why people while thinking about medieval always focus on kings, princes or dukes. There are more fun with simple lords and their relations with their villagers. Besides it's possible to add feudalism to game and none will notice huge changes (there are really will be a little changes, you're in guild, you pay a little tribute and have possibility to use tools), but capitalism is not possible to add (Imagine who will be working and give most of his done work to other char for low payment). In game actually we have something I call barterism.

TO BELOW: I tried to explain by this why depot is needed in Yewdale and why it won't break in game policy.
Last edited by Karrock on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

This is so off-topic...

But I agree that depots at the harbors (independent from town depots) are a very nice idea and the npcs to transport stuff from one depot to the town depot are nice as a money sink.