Havens within the Factions

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Kraex

Havens within the Factions

Post by Kraex »

Overview:

I believe it is time that there is an engine IG that facilitates and helps unite characters that would prefer to RP the shadier aspects of the game and lore. The gist of this proposal revolves around three fuctions:
  • Questlines: Meant to separate characters from the typical faction RP but still inherent to their background (e.g. kill a friendly NPC, bribe an official, spy, enslave a friendly NPC, collect forbidden objects for a ritual).
    • Pre-approved plots by GMs and could even be voted upon OOC.
  • Havens: A secure place within factions for players to meet who have already committed a crime or performed a deed to discuss the plot further.
    • To avoid abuse I would impose a timer once at least two players entered or a random trigger to force the players to leave or get caught by the town guard.
  • NPC Bookie: An NPC to list other plot members. Basically this NPC would tell faithful plot members who else is involved in the plot if they perform another dastardly deed or pay some substantial amount of coin.
Questline examples::
  • Cadomyr:
    • Baron Hastings Plot: Indeed an elect few characters can decide to join the Hastings to attempt another cue.
    • Slavers: Player characters are tasked with capturing friendly NPCs to be sold at the slave market.
    • Pirates Revenge: Choose to donate objects to the pirates instead of the Queen for chance to earn a double monthly reward.
  • Runewick:
    • Dark Arts: Oh you bet that super secret cult that broods right under your nose. Exchange your soul for knowledge on how to speak with demons, perform a blood bond, etc...
  • Galmair
    • Too much shadiness to even begin to list
Checks and Balances::
  • Plots should only occur in one faction at a time, until our player base grows.
  • If GMs would not prefer internal struggle within their ranks these quests can be limited to targeting other factions.
  • Depending on the plot the haven only lasts X number of days/months (depending on the complexity).
  • Again the fun is in the plotting, the players should not get caught until they actually attempt to execute the plot.
Full Example::
Faction:Galmair
Plot: Assassination of a visiting Cadomyrian Noble

Progression:
  1. Wandering "Friendly" NPC in Galmair arrives. When you talk to him he asks for your help, says that someone is trying to assassinate him. He says that the assassin said something about getting an easy gold coin and he managed to run and hide from him. Player is then presented an option to kill and collect the gold coin or tell a guard.
    1. Player chooses to tell a guard, good side in him wins.
    2. Player chooses to kill the man, he gets the gold coin, and a man from the shadows reveals the location of the haven.
  2. Player enters the haven of a den of assassins and finds another player who did the same thing.
  3. Second/Prime quest is revealed that the assassins need more muscle to take out a Cadomyrian noble who will arrive.
  4. On the day that Cadomyrian noble arrives ((OOC we can have this happen multiple times)) a message is received to all players that a Cadomyrian noble has arrived in Galmair.
  5. Now comes the fun part, if the assassins take down the target the plotters get a reward. If the people appose the assassins the player gets ousted if he is clouded and must face the Galmair judicial system.
Last edited by Kraex on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hew Keenaxe

Re: Havens within the Factions

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Just make it easier.
As an outlaw, I cant enter any town.
As a town member, you cant enter The Hemp Tie Inn.
It is a refuge for those that dont fit elsewhere.
So if you belong to any town, you can not enter. If you belong to no town , you can.
The Hemptie should have no laws, but if you are a real bad actor, maybe Borgate and his fellows refuses to trade with you. Other than that, if you feel the need for laws, go join a town.
Kraex

Post by Kraex »

As an outlaw, I cant enter any town.
As a town member, you cant enter The Hemp Tie Inn.
It is a refuge for those that dont fit elsewhere.
So if you belong to any town, you can not enter. If you belong to no town , you can.
The problem is the distribution of magical gems (unless Borgate finds the illusive magic diamond :P) and the general difficulty to bring out the less than noble sides of the factions. The idea is not to "restrict" entry, hence the boot out rule I suggested for the havens, but instead provide a "clear plot" to each created haven that can easily rotate to a different faction if the plot fails. As to focus on RP the creation of the haven should fulfill a specific purpose that is inline with the factions history and lore. I feel what you propose creates a firm/blanket player divide, you don't come here we don't go there. In case of havens players must opt in to join or feel connected to the plot that is about to unfold but may not necessary like the next plot that comes to their town.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Hew has been an outlaw longer than most. Is that fair to say?
Hew has or had gems. He got them the old fashioned way, by trade.
I do believe the gates of Henptie should be closed to those of a town, but only at the gates.
As far as as he said/she said blaa blaa blaaa. just play it out.
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:Hew has been an outlaw longer than most. Is that fair to say?
Hew has or had gems. He got them the old fashioned way, by trade.
I do believe the gates of Henptie should be closed to those of a town, but only at the gates.
As far as as he said/she said blaa blaa blaaa. just play it out.

What you are saying Makes no sense ryme or reason. You have ig reason why you can't enter town. Hempty is a neutral place. Yes outlaws go there but what you suggest has nothing to do with what kraex is saying.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

This looks like a solid proposal for the Dynamically created events which Estralis was looking to do.

http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9837
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

Kraex, this sounds brilliant and I'm totally in this with you.

It brought me to think of the covenants in Dark Souls and how they have dynamics similar to this. Nearly autonomously started personal quests progressing into more meaningful but risky multiplayer missions sound excellent.