Town protection abuse-proposal

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Mephistopheles

Town protection abuse-proposal

Post by Mephistopheles »

So I've noticed alot, is that people will attack someone banned from a city and run back in to heal, go back, repeat. This can be devastatingly unfair to the banned party.

Proposal:

Set a brief, perhaps 2 minute timer can be set on attacking an outlaw or banned character, which prevents them from going into the town. Many other games prevent you from teleporting or entering a safe zone when you've just engaged in player vs player.
Achae Eanstray

Re: Town protection abuse-proposal

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Just some stray thoughts on the matter...to add to the discussion:

This would have to also separate banned from monster which I don't believe is done now (though I may be mistaken).

Also, as far as unfair to the banned party, can't that character simply leave the vicinity of the town...there is only so much distance this can happen?
Raina Narethil

Post by Raina Narethil »

You play an evil character deal with the repercussions, sorry don't like it happening don't get caught near town or stay there to cause trouble. come on life as an evil Character is not suppose to be sunshine and roses when you get near a town your not allowed to be around.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

uhmm.. personal player tidbits aside.

The towns get everything.

Those who are banned from Roleplay get practically nothing in the way of useful features. There are consequences I agree, but you forget that my char is hardly Evil, just pissed off at what the good guys did to him for seemingly no reason.

Your venomous comments about me playing an evil character are unwarranted, since I'm simply playing the game without breaking rules or abusing features.

So my char has been "consequenced", however engaging in pvp with someone should have consequences as well, not just hit my char and run away (especially during those times when the char is being non-aggressive and simply trying to talk) and leave the unassailable guard to protect you. Realistically my char should have a chance to ghost the gate guard. But that would be unfair, because any uber strong guy can just go in and massacre people who may not even be up for conflict. So instead of being unfair, don't you think it'd be more fair to set a short timer for attacking a banned char than letting just any uber char come in and massacre. If you mean to run away, then run away.

I'm sick of this constant venom regarding "evil chars", they roleplay just like you.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Raina Narethil wrote:You play an evil character deal with the repercussions, sorry don't like it happening don't get caught near town or stay there to cause trouble. come on life as an evil Character is not suppose to be sunshine and roses when you get near a town your not allowed to be around.
I can guarantee if the shoe was on the other foot, you'd get knocked right off of your high horse.

I hate breaking characters down into black and white, but I have played many 'evil' or 'grey' characters in the past, and let me tell you that it is bloody hard, and thankless job. Literally every character, (and usually their PO too) hate your guts! Yes your guts, because even still... some players fail to grasp the basic fundamental rule of separating the character from the player.

Unless you have played 'a baddie' yourself you can not possibly appreciate the amount of extra effort that is involved on the players behalf, especially now with all this gem, and town business.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I have played Bad, Grey and White characters in ten years and I can see both sides here and I can say the solution is simply Roleplay.

For the towns, I believe that if officials were to run out to 'attack outlaws', what's wrong with role-playing first that you 'yell for the town guard' or have a 'patrol' in tow? At this time, the game mechanics prohibit grabbing and using NPC's as actual Guards in your party (Maybe Someday like Mules?), but that's what Roleplay is for! If these 'officials' were to roleplay a few guards with them to attack or even apprehend the outlaw conveniently lounging just outside the gates, why wouldn't a good RP'd Outlaw react accordingly and escape? Towns have the "Roleplay" aspect that there are many people in Town, in fact auto-messages indicate this when you enter or leave. It is totally believable if an official, Guard or other town authority Roleplays as if they have some of these 'Ghost' Guards in tow. Outlaws should react accordingly to good roleplay. I disagree that this is about who can best who.....use the purpose of the game - Roleplay it! With so few players, we need to start using Roleplay more to settle these issues.

For the Outlaws - After being banned, attacking citizens and claiming a Kingdom at odds with towns, why in the f@#& would they lounge outside the gates in a nearby field to talk and RP with passersby??? I have seen this so many times and think that's very poor RP, because any town would logically not only be guarding the gates, but also the walls, streets and even the occasional patrol across it's lands! The fields just outside Galmair are still "Galmair". The Ban would logically apply on Galmair Land too and RP'd patrols and such should be reacted to with an escape no matter how "Uber" you think you are. Not to do so is just crappy RP. It's a freaking town which is assumed to have many people in it, even if they are not seen! For now, Outlaws need to stay at the Hempy or roam the hinterlands looking for victims, or send 'doves' to people for clandestine meetings in the dark, etc. Also, what's wrong with a well-roleplayed capture once in a while? Why do you always have to win? Years ago, My character Bernie started a revolt against the Governement of Trollsbane long ago (It's true!) and was captured for it during a well-RP'd event. I didn't try to run, log-out or evade when it was in the interest of RP to follow the logical path. I had a trial and was sentenced to so much time in Jail, which I did. When the Island "Blew Up" I RP'd his "Return" and he started fresh in Galmair. You don't have to 'win' all the time to have a good time.

Speaking of which - What's happened to the RP of Galmair's Government lately? I personally think Galmair is unusually 'closed' to outlaws recently with these "Bans", and it really shouldn't be. Cadomyr and Runewick have Jails, but where is Galmair's Jail? The Prison Mine is a relatively new addition that wasn't part of Galmair years ago and it's not really "Galmair" land anyway. Why does Galmair have a Thieves Quarter and Orcish Underground and even a shrine to Ronagan if the intention wasn't to have a darker element as part of the town!! When I played in Galmair years ago, they tended to overlook criminals as long as there was money to be made. Galmair is not Cadomyr! I play my character Bernie as a Galmairian, not a Cadomyrian. If I wanted that, I would have moved long ago! The Galmair officials should review Gynkese philosophy and stop being like Modern Society. Even the "Don" borrows much of his background from the organized crime syndicates and Mafiosos of yesteryear. They never "Banned" people! You either Paid "Protection Money" or you were found mysteriously poisoned in bed the next morning! Roleplay!

Unwillingness to RP, or even poor RP is reportable to GM's - or at least it used to be. I know it's a broken record, but the mechanics of the game support the RP, not the other way around. Use your imaginations people!
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

This guy gets it. ^

It's simple. We role play together and don't be dicks, right?
Last edited by Morbius on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

These suggestions were made before unfortunately, and I won't expand on that.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Raina Narethil wrote:You play an evil character deal with the repercussions, sorry don't like it happening don't get caught near town or stay there to cause trouble. come on life as an evil Character is not suppose to be sunshine and roses when you get near a town your not allowed to be around.
Those who play outlaws have not many occasions to meet other players in wilderness. So maybe it look as poor rp, but for Bob or Hew it's compulsion to come in near towns.
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

I think you misunderstood what mephy was trying to explain. So I'm gonna explain how I see it you have a character that is playing bad and one that is good. Bad character has Kos on him from a town. Good character attacks bad but when he can't beat bad he runs into town knowing bad can't follow and let's say good took bad down to wounded and let's say bad has no healing potions. So good runs into town to heal say uses potion cause bad caught him to near death and goes out and attacks bad and let say bad healed up to slightly winded and good brings bad down to badly wounded before he runs into town to do this over until bad is dead. This is bad rp and I agree with mephy
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

Juniper Onyx wrote:
For the Outlaws - After being banned, attacking citizens and claiming a Kingdom at odds with towns, why in the f@#& would they lounge outside the gates in a nearby field to talk and RP with passersby??? I have seen this so many times and think that's very poor RP, because any town would logically not only be guarding the gates, but also the walls, streets and even the occasional patrol across it's lands! The fields just outside Galmair are still "Galmair". The Ban would logically apply on Galmair Land too and RP'd patrols and such should be reacted to with an escape no matter how "Uber" you think you are. Not to do so is just crappy RP. It's a freaking town which is assumed to have many people in it, even if they are not seen! For now, Outlaws need to stay at the Hempy or roam the hinterlands looking for victims, or send 'doves' to people for clandestine meetings in the dark, etc. Also, what's wrong with a well-roleplayed capture once in a while? Why do you always have to win?!
Agree with most except this. A king or Waring towns or bandits and pirates. Have been known to come to talk to officials. Either for peace. Terms of surrender bribes to not attack etc etc etc. Yes there is a chance for attack by citizens that are unaware of intentions. But a true guard will tell the person to hault and what business they have unless the govt has a Kos which galmair doesn't have that not officially and still if the come to negotiate. Why wouldn't towns here them out especially galmair if it may turn a profit. So for a character to just attack with out rp has and will always be dumb. And I have seen mephy characters lose that's not the issue here. It if you runaway runaway don't abuse the bann system just to PK someone stronger than you