Feedback Request // Meinungsumfrage

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Which avatars would you like highlighted? / Welche Avatare würdest du gerne hervorheben?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:09 am

Just NPCs / Nur NSCs
5%
Just Monsters / Nur Monster
No votes
Just player characters / Nur Spieler Charaktere
No votes
Monsters + NPCs / Mosnter + NSCs
No votes
Monsters + characters / Monster + Charaktere
10%
All three / Alle drei
86%

Total votes: 21

CJK
Developer

Feedback Request // Meinungsumfrage

Post by CJK »

Hey guys! I am currently working on making monsters easier to target. (http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9549)

Something I found useful while testing is to have a monster's avatar highlight while my mouse is in its target area (nameplate or avatar). We currently have it deliberately set so that only NPCs are highlighted, and they are highlighted more intensely when you are next to them.

Would you guys like it if I made it so any monster your mouse is over was highlighted? How intense would you like it? (i.e. when three steps away from NPC vs next to NPC)

I can do any of these with about 15 seconds of effort by changing this line of code: Github link.

Highlighted mob: Image
Unhighlighted mob: Image

Thanks!

###
Hallo Leute! Ich arbeite gerade daran Monster einfacher anvisieren zu können. (http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9549)

Beim Testen fand ich es nützlich den Avatar oder das Namensschild eines Monsters hervorzuheben. Im Moment haben wir es bewusst so eingestellt, dass nur NSCs hervorgehoben werden, besonders intensiv wenn man neben ihnen steht.

Würdet ihr es mögen, wenn ich es so mache das jedes Monster hervorgehoben wird, über das man mit der Maus fährt? Wie intensiv sollte das sein? (z.B. wenn man drei Schritte weg von einem NSC steht im Vergleich zu direkt neben dem NSC zu stehen).

All diese Möglichkeiten sind innerhalb von 15 Sekunden zu realisieren wenn man nur diese Codzeile ändert: Github link.

Hervorgehobenes Monster: Image
Nicht hervorgehobenes Monster: Image

Danke!
Achae Eanstray

Re: Feedback request: Highlight on avatar mouseover

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I don't see an image..
Applesauce

Post by Applesauce »

I cant vote on this until I can see what you mean.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

I'm not sure how this will help with targeting. Perhaps you could explain that part?
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

I ask that above, because even with highlight, I cannot target if my avatar is moving. Just can't be done, except for like 2% of the time. So I am not sure how having a highlight will help target if my avatar is moving.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Images fixed. Sorry, didn't realize the imgur link was indirect.

LucyP wrote:I ask that above, because even with highlight, I cannot target if my avatar is moving. Just can't be done, except for like 2% of the time. So I am not sure how having a highlight will help target if my avatar is moving.
Please take a look over the Mantis task I linked to above. I am currently working on that problem. Also, I have found through pretty rigorous testing that "targeting while either you or monster is moving is impossible" is a bit of a myth. It actually works the majority of the time (at least 75%), especially when you right click the name plate instead of the body.
LucyP wrote:I'm not sure how this will help with targeting. Perhaps you could explain that part?
Many, many, many people have complained that it is difficult to target when there is a crowd. One of the reasons for this is that they just can't see who they are targeting. By highlighting their target, it makes this easier.

Also, it would help players understand when they are missing just because of bad clicking and not because of the deeper engine problem in the mantis ticket.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Another issuing is that when you "collide" with something you lose your target. This happened to me like 30 times during the big battle a while back, and it has happened a lot in smaller fights and with monsters as well.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

ltgmkay wrote:Images fixed. Sorry, didn't realize the imgur link was indirect.

LucyP wrote:I ask that above, because even with highlight, I cannot target if my avatar is moving. Just can't be done, except for like 2% of the time. So I am not sure how having a highlight will help target if my avatar is moving.
Please take a look over the Mantis task I linked to above. I am currently working on that problem. Also, I have found through pretty rigorous testing that "targeting while either you or monster is moving is impossible" is a bit of a myth. It actually works the majority of the time (at least 75%), especially when you right click the name plate instead of the body.
A myth? Perhaps your numbers are just vastly different from my numbers. What I see is 2% of the time. I can almost never get a target lock if my character is moving. Practically impossible, so much so, I don't even bother to try anymore until the avatar comes to a complete stop. It's that frustrating for me. I'm glad you have better numbers, but I do not. Please don't call it a myth.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Es wäre nett wenn man Umfragen nicht nur in ENG, sondern zusätzlich auch auf DEU machen würde.

It would be nice to have such an inquiry also in GER and not only in ENG.
Last edited by GolfLima on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

It would be nice, if you could make your mantis link more visible :)

I see no main difference in both images. Is targetting really an issue? I've always activated all avatar names (F12 key) and usually target with a rightclick on the name. In most cases that works fine. It also works for me, if the target walks. For me, untargetting is more an issue (e.g. if your char has to stop fighting and needs to drink a potion). This has already been very annoying in many cases.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Fooser wrote:Another issuing is that when you "collide" with something you lose your target. This happened to me like 30 times during the big battle a while back, and it has happened a lot in smaller fights and with monsters as well.

This is a separate issue which definitely needs to be taken care of eventually as well.
Ragorn wrote:It would be nice, if you could make your mantis link more visible :)

I see no main difference in both images. Is targetting really an issue? I've always activated all avatar names (F12 key) and usually target with a rightclick on the name. In most cases that works fine. It also works for me, if the target walks. For me, untargetting is more an issue (e.g. if your char has to stop fighting and needs to drink a potion). This has already been very annoying in many cases.
I'll put the actual link in parentheses, thanks. It has also been my experience that hovering over names makes it pretty easy to target. Also, eventually (TM) there will be a hotkey that lets you disengage combat. But it's been put off until I do about 8 other things. :wink:
GolfLima wrote:Es wäre nett wenn man Umfragen nicht nur in ENG, sondern zusätzlich auch auf DEU machen würde.
Ich kann nicht übersetzen es gut. Es tut mir Leid. :( Wenn eine andere übersetzen kann, werde ich dankbar sein. Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

Alright, I tried that, targeting the name instead of the body of the animal. It works much better. It actually works when avatar moves and/or animal is moving. I had no idea.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Targeting is a lot easier with it set for names showing and click the name rather then the monster... very nice to know this. :) Perhaps this can be added to the newbie island when discussing bow and arrows, would make learning them less frustrating.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

Kyre wrote:Targeting is a lot easier with it set for names showing and click the name rather then the monster... very nice to know this. :) Perhaps this can be added to the newbie island when discussing bow and arrows, would make learning them less frustrating.
This would be a great idea.
Ranwyln

Post by Ranwyln »

Hey guys! I am currently working on making monsters easier to target. Hey guys! I am currently working on making monsters easier to target. (http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9549)

Something I found useful while testing is to have a monster's avatar highlight while my mouse is in its target area (nameplate or avatar). We currently have it deliberately set so that only NPCs are highlighted, and they are highlighted more intensely when you are next to them.

Would you guys like it if I made it so any monster your mouse is over was highlighted? How intense would you like it? (i.e. when three steps away from NPC vs next to NPC)

I can do any of these with about 15 seconds of effort by changing this line of code: Github link.
Hallo ihr, ich arbeite aktuell daran, dass anvisieren von Monstern leichter zu machen. (http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9549)

Etwas das ich praktisch fand, war das das Monster Bild "aufleuchtete" wenn ich mit dem Mauszeiger in seinem Zielbereich war (Namensplakette oder Avatar). Aktuell leuchten nur NPCs auf wenn man mit der Maus über sie geht, und sie sind heller wenn du nahe bei ihnen stehst.

Also fändet ihr es gut, wenn das Monster aufleuchten würde übe dem eure Maus ist? Wie hell sollte es sein ? (z.B, drei Schritte von nem NPC weg im Gegensatz zu direkt neben dem NPC)

Er kann jeder dieser Änderungen mit sehr wenig Aufwand ändern indem er diese Linie des Codes ändert: Github link

((just a lil try to translate it))
Which avatars would you like highlighted on mouse-over? Welche Avatare sollen "hervorgehoben" werden, wenn der Mauszeiger über ihnen ist?
Just NPCs nur NPCs
Just Monsters nur Monster
Just player characters nur Spielercharackter
Monsters + NPCs Monster und NPCs
Monsters + characters Monster und Spieler
All three Alle
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Danke an Ranwyln.