Workshop revamp

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Vern Kron

Workshop revamp

Post by Vern Kron »

Galmair has mentioned a few times wanting to add three more tool stations to the workshop, due to their high usage.

The current layout is this:

Currently we have many people standing around a single carpentry table, and lots of usage on the furnaces and anvils. These items not only do not make sense to be shared, but I am not sure that it is even possible for two people to use it at the same time IG.

As a result, I propose this:

The statue represents the carpentry npc, and the sheep corpse represents the npc previously standing by the furnaces. This solves a few problems:

1. It blocks a shadow area.
2. It creates a more logical flow of work to be done, and will meet current demands of Galmair.
3. It does not hinder or effect the flow of goods, as Galmair already has access to these tools, it simply makes the workshop more effective for the large amount of new players who are stepping into Galmair.

Because this involves tool stations however, I figure it is worth asking before moving ahead to gather materials and such.
Annabeth

Re: Workshop revamp

Post by Annabeth »

Placement of npcs are bad in regards to auto-messages of npcs in regards to your position when crafting. It would cause spam both when initiating crafts at nearby tool stations, and if trying to roleplay whilst crafting at said stations.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

The only one that would be triggered is the npc near the carpentry table, who is already triggered.

Besides, looking at mantis, all those npc's are supposed to be rolled into the shopkeepers, I think. It could be that neither exist in the near future.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Vern Kron wrote:The only one that would be triggered is the npc near the carpentry table, who is already triggered.

Besides, looking at mantis, all those npc's are supposed to be rolled into the shopkeepers, I think. It could be that neither exist in the near future.
The sheep is by the glassblowing oven meaning it would be triggered by anyone working that.
And the carpenting npc is currently in a position where its possible to position yourself so you dont trigger it, in your new build it gets more difficult to do so. So it would probably be more convenient to find different spots for them to avoid that.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

There are a number of reasons why I like the original the best... most have to do with graphics (less busy look, less "production" look) however some has to do with roleplay. A number of times my character has "shared" the carpenter table.. and I have seen "sharing" of other tables including one almost fist fight over one which was hilarious!

Of course, I won't object if the majority prefer the change.. will be just a little saddened.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

Annabeth wrote:
Vern Kron wrote:The only one that would be triggered is the npc near the carpentry table, who is already triggered.

The sheep is by the glassblowing oven meaning it would be triggered by anyone working that.
And the carpenting npc is currently in a position where its possible to position yourself so you dont trigger it, in your new build it gets more difficult to do so. So it would probably be more convenient to find different spots for them to avoid that.
Two NPCs, nearly side by side will trigger wrong when trying to talk to one. The other may trigger instead. They, therefore, cannot be placed so close together. Please look at the marketplace to see spacing needs of NPCs to discourage this poor behavior in the NPCs. If possible, perhaps one or both could be moved outside if you are going to move them anyways? Just keep in mind that roof overhangs will hide NPC names and this would be bad and, sadly, NPCs cannot be placed on the same square as a wall.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

npcs can't be placed close to each other because they might trigger each other and end in an infinite loop...
Samantha Stoneridge

Post by Samantha Stoneridge »

Is the crate nearest the gem grinder a necessity? Move the barrels there, and put the furnace NPC where the barrels were? Plenty of space between the NPCs then.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

That has the gem cutter npc.
Samantha Stoneridge

Post by Samantha Stoneridge »

Vern Kron wrote:That has the gem cutter npc.
Right, that's why I suggested moving the water barrels that are between the furnace and the oven (which I'm assuming might have a purpose?? I have no smith chars) over by the gem cutter NPC, then put the furnace NPC between the oven and the furnace. Perhaps my wording is off?
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

Can't put an NPC where the barrels are, that is a wall space. Sorry.
Manron

Post by Manron »

Why is there a dead sheep in the corner? O.O
Matron

Post by Matron »

The statue represents the carpentry npc, and the sheep corpse represents the npc previously standing by the furnaces.
Somebody should call PETA. I like the proposal though.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

The two npcs can not stand that close together. I would suggest moving the carpentry and smithing npcs both outside of the workshop. As far as addition static tools, I will check with Estralis and make sure that these are in line with our craft distribution plan, otherwise I see no issues with the map change. Note, in the future we hope to have anvils and smelters where they can be used by multiple people, however this is in the future sometime (TM).
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

That's fine, put them outside or something. I don't particularly care where they go, I was simply trying to head off the issue of where the npc's would go. Other ideas are cool.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Can we replace them with blackjack and hookers?

On a more serious note though, another grindstone would probably be nice as well. Not because it's not possible to have many working on it or that it's used too much, but WHEN there are two people using it it kinda looks ridiculous if you think about how one would actually be used realistically :D

Though just like a second carpenter table there's no actual need for one, unlike anvils and furnaces.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Are you asking us to reinvent the wheel, Annabeth?

Be sure to tip your waiters folks.