Display Correct Gem Bonus on Weapons

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Q-wert

Display Correct Gem Bonus on Weapons

Post by Q-wert »

Turned out more unstructured than I hoped. Anyways:

Right now, from looking at the game, it seems like gems to a percentile multiplier on the effect a weapon (damage) or armour (armour value) have. If a piece of armour displays 20% Bonus, it receives a 20% Bonus. If a weapon displays 20% Bonus, it receives... well... something. Actually its not all too easy to calculate its percentile modifier as it is related to a load of variables.

The two interesting lines of code (rest over here: Link):

Code: Select all

//Armour (Line 439)
armourValue = armourValue + armourValue * GemBonus / 100

//Weapons (Line 588)
Globals["Damage"] = GlobalDamageFactor*BaseDamage * CritBonus * QualityBonus * (100 + StrengthBonus + PerceptionBonus + DexterityBonus + SkillBonus + GemBonus)
Back in the day (script was the same in regards of weapons) Banduk did some testing, measuring that for his character (with rather average, not maxed stats) the bonus received equalled out to about one tenth of the displayed value for weapons. While I personally don't care how effective gems are on specific items, I do believe the value shown ingame and calculated behind the scenes should be the same. Everything else is simply misleading.

My (admittedly simple) proposal: Make GemBonus the percentile bonus it claims to be.

Either change the Bonus to a percentile multiplier as below (just change the line of code)

Code: Select all

//Weapons (Line 588)
Globals["Damage"] = GlobalDamageFactor*BaseDamage * CritBonus * QualityBonus * (1+GemBonus/100) * (100 + StrengthBonus + PerceptionBonus + DexterityBonus + SkillBonus)
... or calculate the percentile bonus actually received and display that on the weapon (might be trickier).
Jupiter
Developer

Re: Display Correct Gem Bonus on Weapons

Post by Jupiter »

There is a mismatch between the displayed and the actual effects. We already have a mantis task for this, see http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=10548

Best is if you write your ideas down there.
Q-wert

Re: Display Correct Gem Bonus on Weapons

Post by Q-wert »

Done. Thank you for the hint.