Customizing Items

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Zephyrius

Customizing Items

Post by Zephyrius »

Right now, the only way to have an item with a special description is to make a request from a GM. I think such items are really nice for RP since they add a bit of atmosphere to the game. I also think there is potential for fun with player groups adopting symbols to represent them.

With that in mind I wrote up a concept for a proposal to introduce such a mechanism to the game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zglr3m443427g ... t.pdf?dl=0

This is a draft of what the tool could look like.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1ud88t5i1j0x ... l.png?dl=0

Zeph
Vern Kron

Re: Customizing Items

Post by Vern Kron »

I'm not sure if this is completely accurate, but before the VBU I think such a tool existed, in terms of an NPC. It was a pretty solid gold sink. Obviously, since this game is PG-13, and we only the most appropriate of players, no one would use this item for nefarious purposes. I think however, if an inappropriate item is found, or is perhaps used as an insta-win item, then perhaps some sort of hefty fine should be in place. Like say, 40 gold and items equivalent worth.

Otherwise, I completely support this idea, as it was in the game before. I think.
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

I personally don't see much of an application for this unless a character drops the said item on the ground for others to see. Until we can see the character description by hovering over the characters, and perhaps the customized item description with it, I don't think it would bring that much immersion.
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

I think this would be great really. For example if you want to make a special gift for another char. People would not have to go to a gm with that every time.... :D
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I like the special gift idea but particularly will like with furniture and housing. :D
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Personally I dislike the restricted descriptions of the linked proposal.
I do not see how one strictly structured sentence with limited attribute-vocabulary will be able to describe an unique item as wanted. A free text put in by the player would offer far more variety.

"The heavy woolen cloak shows a deep blue, its lower right quatrer a bright crimson. The centre of its back sporting a fine embroidery of a circled rearing black serpent on white ground."
Taking a example of a custom cloak of mine in the making now, this is something I would find close to impossible to realize with the proposed system.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Q-wert wrote:A free text put in by the player would offer far more variety.
And that opens a huge door for abuse of any kind.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

Jupiter wrote:
Following that same logic, should we get rid of speech, emotes or bottle labels because some troll could abuse freely typed text?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Velisai wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Following that same logic, should we get rid of speech, emotes or bottle labels because some troll could abuse freely typed text?
Bottle lables are, as you said, labels. They are written text. If someone writes gibberish on a label, that is no harm. But the kind of description we talk about here are not written text by the character but tell what the characters can see.
If someone labels a bottle with "Totaly immortal and invisible making potion", then this is what the label says. It is not an actual description of the item, but just of the text on the label. Where as "A golden hammer smithed by Imorom himself. You feel it beating heart throw the metal." are not words engraved on the object but a description of the object itself.
We already need the gms to take care of inappropriate roleplaying. Do we really want them also to care about the items the peoples have?

EDIT:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3813 ... lf_png.htm

That is a first idea how the first step of the creating could look like
maryday

Re: Customizing Items; Approach to a system of pre-sets;

Post by maryday »

((Written and posted at recorded time;))

@ Jupiter; As far i can remember the first time i can fully support one of your ideas. :D Almost.
Do not show every single step in the menu. Instead show the different possibilities / classes of "FINISHED" deco / object in the FIRST CHOICE.
Your example is good, yet it kinda scared me, looking at all those brackets.
I think it would be much more fun for every player to explore the different possibilites by her / himself.

W = weapon, T = tool, S = shield, A = armour, D = dress;
NONE = free space, means the adjective / description will not appear. NONE will always lower the price of the individualisation;

Have fun!

Code: Select all

The 9 general categories (CHOICEs) used in this post are:
-FINISHED (above)
-SIZE
-SHAPE
-COLOUR
-STRUCTURE->SYMBOL or DEITY ->COUNT
-SOCKET -> STYLE

->SECOND CHOICE; Set the general SIZE of the object / deco ((will impact on price));
->THIRD CHOICE; Put the geometric SHAPE;  ((NONE applies; CHOICEs continue normally. NONE-Example: "...big black etched three eyes"))
->FOURTH CHOICE; COLOUR can be chosen; ((NONE applies; CHOICEs continue normally. NONE-Example: "...small engraved rabbit"))
->FIFTH CHOICE; ADD STRUCTURE classes which represent the production / appearance of any symbol:
((NONE applies; If NONE is chosen, the CHOICE of SYMBOL and COUNT will not appear. Instead "symbol" is prompted. NONE-Example: "...tiny red triangular symbol".))
-smithed
-finesmithed
-engraved
-driven
-cut
-etched
-carved
...((The following are only adjectives to add a little more information and flavour, they do not alterate the price of the individualisation. I have not counted them as individual category. You might do so. EXAMPLE: ))
-scratched
-corroded
-rusty
-shattered
-smeared
-blood encrusted

-> ADD a difference between pre-set SYMBOL possibilities or DEITY ((No examples for DEITY-symbols in this post.))

->SIXTH CHOICE: ADD preset "SYMBOLs", prefferably split up in different groups again, like:
((NONE applies; If NONE is chosen, the CHOICE of COUNT will not appear.))
BODY; -eye, -lips, -hand, -skull, -crossed bones, -skelleton hand...
SIGN;-circle, -cross, -square...
ELEMENT;-flame, -wave, -wind, -mountain, -crystal...
ANIMAL: Yes, all ;)

->SEVENTH CHOICE: ADD a COUNTer for the number of symbols shown (the symbol set in the step before):
-one ((Any number higher then "one" will heavyly influence the price of the deco / object upward))
-two
-three
-four
-several ((Any number higher then "several" could only be implied by GM-help. Fixed prices should be set.))

->CHOICE No. 8: ADD gem SOCKETing spaces. ((->Biiig bliiing-bling needed here))
((The current socketing of magical gems is OK. Here i mean socketing spaces for regular jewels.
Also ADD the possibility to specify the STYLE of a socket in the CHOICE No. 9.))
Examples could be: ((SOCKET and behind it, STYLE))

((NONE applies both to SOCKET and to STYLE;))
-ringed (-light, -heavy)
-clawed (-simple, -complex)
-squared (-light, -heavy)
-fanged (-plain, -symmetric, -cruelly)
-bracketed (-light, -heavy, simple, -complex)
-multiple (-double, -triple, -quadruple, -several) ((Again, as above, any EMPTY socketing slot with the marker "several" could be expanded to any number with GM-help.
Fixed prices and rules should be set.

Here my thoughts that i have specified as not-helpfull-to-the-main-topic;

Code: Select all

Beside that, i`d like to suggest different "angles of view" for any look-at command separated by distance (only examples, metric):
-far = Any char within spotting distance (15m+) will be able to perceive the general size, structure and kind of any object worn or carried by another char;
-vicinity = Any char within a specific distance (8-15m) will be able to perceive size, structure, shape, materia and kind of any object;
-close = Any char within a specific distance (5-8m) will be able to perceive size, structure, shape, materia, kind, symbols of any object;
-at hand = Only the char carrying the object or a char standing closer then 3m (if object on the floor) will perceive the full information about any object;
Furthermore the size of a decoration could matter here.

Second, i want to suggest ADD "item modules" as "FINISHED" item possibilities / classes; 
((If you do not introduce "item modules" in the first step, think about setting up / layout at least the foundations / engine-links for such a system!))

->knob (W / T) Any staff could be fitted with two different knobs,
->handle (W / T / S) additionally any staff could be fitted with two handles (of the same kind, if different knobs where chosen);
->long handle (2-handed W / big T)
->blade (some W / some T) Any blade can receive either / and an individual STRUCTURE and COLOUR + a SYMBOL with an idividual STRUCTURE and COLOUR.
->head (some W / some T) ((Concussion W and T)) Any head can receive either / and an individual STRUCTURE and COLOUR + a SYMBOL with an individual STRUCTURE and COLOUR.
->tip (Arrows and Bolts) Tips can only receive: SHAPE, COLOUR, STRUCTURE, SYMBOL; ((A whole stack is individualised at once, for example: 20))

->boss (S / A) Any shield can have only one boss. Any Armour can have up to two different bosses.

((Following limitations to numbers may be alerated by GM-help.))
->plating (S / A / D) Any shield can have up to two different platings. Any Armour can have up to four different platings.
->tassel (W / T / A / D) Any weapon can have only one tassel. Any armour can have up to two different tassels. Any dress can have up to four different tassels.
Enough for now!?