Multiple Small Proposals

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Nitram
Developer

Re: Multiple Small Proposals

Post by Nitram »

Problem with that thread now is to keep track of the proposals made. It's in general a very bad idea to make such proposal collection because they practically guarantee that some get lost a long the way.

How there were a few ideas that involved the possibility to resize elements on the screen. Let me tell you right away: that is not going to happen. The GUI framework doesn't support that even remotely. There is currently just no way to get this working.

Now regarding the chat log. I never had a problem with it but I usually have the client running at HD-resolution. So the part covered by the log is minor.
But I see your problem in case you are using smaller resolutions.
My idea to solve this is to implement a third mode for the chat log. We currently have a normal and a expanded version. I'd like to introduce a collapsed version that reduces the log to the input line. Now there are two ways to implement the display of the chat log at this point. Either I have the toggle button that opens the log again blinking in case there is activity in the log. Or I display the text that appears in the log for a short time on a transparent surface right above the input line and have it disappear again rather quickly. Or both... Not sure what I'll do there right now.

What do you think? Any better ideas?

Also someone feel free to create a mantis task for that to keep better track on this.

Nitram
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I kind of like the idea of it collapsing 2 or even 3 lines with a quick toggle to expand but am good with other alternatives also.

I'll be happy to add what is decided to Mantis also or at least the alternatives listed.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Ok, I am happy changes are in the works, but I looked at the proposed changes and am less than thrilled. Any text centered on my character Will block my view of the foes name and damage. If facing just one, not so bad. But many, when being surrounded, then vision will be blocked. Take spiders for example. They are small and surround. But how you attack them is important. But if vision is blocked, chance of winning goes down a lot. They are so small, they can hide behind the smallest text. Then also take this example. Today I was in a battle and was knocked down (and thanks Vern for not finishing me) and while I waited and tried to talk my way out of it, some keyword triggered an NPC to put up a paragraph. My whole screen that was important at that moment was covered with that NPC text. Limiting the background and time still would of got me killed had he wanted to. I couldn't see anything but NPC text. There needs to be an option or just be moved or eliminated. I dont need canned fight messages. I don't want NPC text blocking my screen. I do want to live sometimes, if I can. And it helps if I can see. Also, I don't want the text following me. If it is in my way, I want to be able to run from under it.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

That is the reason why I don't like proposal pools like that. The message bubble issue was addressed in another thread and a new display is already implemented. Will be there with the next update.

Also this might be interesting for some to raise opinions: Mantis issue #8458: Toggle character name box instead of show on key down

Nitram
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Sorry, that above post was meant for the "Bubbles" proposal.
And I'm surprised Achae hasn't moved it yet, since thats what she likes to do. :P
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The bubbles look a lot better now. At least I think so. I mean you can try it. The development client is able to log into the game server. You just have to switch in the launcher.

Nitram
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:Sorry, that above post was meant for the "Bubbles" proposal.
And I'm surprised Achae hasn't moved it yet, since thats what she likes to do. :P

Kind of difficult to figure what to move now.. will let you simply rewrite your proposal in "bubbles" but may want to check the dev client (which already shows the improvement) or wait for the update first....

PS occasionally I sleep. :lol:

Achae

As far as "Multiple Proposals" would the originator and/or others please list what needs to be still resolved.. it may take more then one Mantis request but I'll add it....thanks! This is what I have got already...

Expanding and collapsing the chat screen
Different text for char versus NPC/monster
Where to put the Umlaute

Was there anymore?
Jen

Post by Jen »

@The ALT Key conundrum:
Estralis is not going to like that suggestion, but what if we use Shift + Number Keys for turning around on the spot, instead of Alt then? Is Shift used for anything? :)
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Shift is used for separating stacked items. Nothing else I know of.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:Shift is used for separating stacked items.
:arrow: this is very important, i often use it
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

GolfLima wrote:
Hew Keenaxe wrote:Shift is used for separating stacked items.
:arrow: this is very important, i often use it
But you wouldn't be moving and separating stacks at the same time.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

That was my point. I use shift often too. It is very important. But since only in a menu, maybe it is availible for other uses? IDK.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Not exactly sure where to put this... I see the easier to read emotes at the top that work great...but am missing my character's health information when I press alt to look at that for the monsters i.e. wounded, badly wounded, near death etc. I know I can look at the red bar but the one for my character was helpful to me. Will this be added or am I the only one missing it? :D

I kind of like using what I am used to i.e. alt to turn around etc. THEN develop other keys for other functions, easier to remember.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Achae Eanstray wrote:Not exactly sure where to put this... I see the easier to read emotes at the top that work great...but am missing my character's health information when I press alt to look at that for the monsters i.e. wounded, badly wounded, near death etc. I know I can look at the red bar but the one for my character was helpful to me. Will this be added or am I the only one missing it? :D

I kind of like using what I am used to i.e. alt to turn around etc. THEN develop other keys for other functions, easier to remember.
Agreed. Also I am having issues with my arrow buttons since the update yesterday. I have been using them to walk/run (I screw everything up when I use the numpad). Whenever I want to go north, south, east, and west, I have no problem, but when I press a combination of buttons to go southeast or northwest it always takes me a few steps for the character to go in the direction indicated, rather than just north or south (or east or west). Does that make sense?

Also I can't use the F12 function. All it does it make my screen brighter. :/

But I LOVE the bubbles!
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Achae Eanstray wrote:Not exactly sure where to put this... I see the easier to read emotes at the top that work great...but am missing my character's health information when I press alt to look at that for the monsters i.e. wounded, badly wounded, near death etc. I know I can look at the red bar but the one for my character was helpful to me. Will this be added or am I the only one missing it? :D
No, you're not alone. I miss it too.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

i´m missing this info too

nevertheless the new system with "F12" is great