Relocating depots/common area

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Hew Keenaxe

Relocating depots/common area

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

It was pointed out to me that there is a lot that has to be done to have one town only. There needs to be all static tools, all NPC traders and quests in that one town. Plus there is the bad feelings that some will have if their town is not the one chosen.
So for a temporary fix, why not put Borgate in the storage business. Remove all town depots and relocate them to Necktie Inn. This makes everyone have to visit there sometimes. Makes it so they don't have to pack and move all their stuff. Gives a purpose for being at Necktie. And transportation there is already free. Sure it adds more steps to accessing our supply's but is a small price to pay to create a common area that may facilitate RP, and should be easy for the developers to do.
Estralis Seborian

Re: Relocating depots/common area

Post by Estralis Seborian »

... Remove all depots in the towns? Are you serious?
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Of course I'm serious. It really isnt as big a hardship as you may think. For resource gathers, farmers and adventurer's they actually come to the portal before they do a town depot, transport is free, then just a short distance to a depot. Only crafters will be made to walk farther. Having a central depot provides a natural player run market place. It's a spot where thieves can lay in wait. Those wanting to be noble guards can provide security to an fro, or take up station there to protect innocent travelers.
But it is an all or nothing proposal. If even one depot is left in town, it will be used and Necktie will remain vacant.
Or you can do the work to provide a one town system, or just leave things as they are and continue to listen to the crickets.
Just my suggestion. Would love to hear any feedback or better ideas. But this is easy and should help get the player base together more often.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

mmmh - first I thought this is not a really good idea. But the more I think of the more I like it.
Along with the market events it could really improve RP and gathering of players.
A real central point for spontaneous happenings, too.

Well you get a +1 from me Hew
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Sorry but this idea does not make much sense, having the one place to store items in a single place you have to walk or tele to, which say if war broke out people would just kill each other at the only depot in the land.. maybe try something different, we want this Market place or something. Well why not make an auction house or something like that there in the Hemp Necktie.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Since we rarely have enough players on at one time to make one army much less two, I must admit, war is something I never thought of. It could be a problem, or a game of capture the flag. :twisted:

So I can see how non- combat players may feel intimidated going there. Especially in times of strife. But this does help support those that offer there services as guards. Right now things are just too safe. But that is another topic. :wink:
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

* to replace all depots to the Hempty is totally nonsens for me
* as a smith you cant work than (for high level things you need a lot of materials - sometimes you can only carry the materials for 1 product only)
* this is the best way to kill crafters
* this will drive some more players away
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

If you want to make going to the Inn more attractive, you should make going to the Inn more attractive. Having to go there for any depot access would be highly inconvenient. So this proposal hurts more than it does help.

Better: Add positive reasons for going to the Inn or different towns such as daily quests, events or delivery missions.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Estralis Seborian wrote:If you want to make going to the Inn more attractive, you should make going to the Inn more attractive. Having to go there for any depot access would be highly inconvenient. So this proposal hurts more than it does help.

Better: Add positive reasons for going to the Inn or different towns such as daily quests, events or delivery missions.
Maybe its a bad idea, I like it, but the last thing we need is more quests or missions. We need more ways to get as many of the players as possible in the same place at the same time. but we need that to happen at all times, not just when something is planned. and as far as it is too far to walk, really? If all you want to do is stand and craft in a damp basement, maybe an RPG is more your style.

It's fine with me if this gets locked. I'll accept that it isn't the solution you are all looking for. But please, someone come up with one. This map is too big. Somehow we need have something that draws us together.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Uhm but what about doing all the three towns depots at Hempties and leave the town depots beeing? That would encourge some players to go there for trading, like for greater masses of goods, but also because it is comfortable. Not to speak of the new rps that couldengage....
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

and once again

* you cant force people to rp with you
* why making the producing of goods so hard ( -> killing crafters) - is there any reason for that?
* think this is the best way to cast out some more players
* may be i did not understand you´re intentions
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

GolfLima wrote: * may be i did not understand you´re intentions
No, I don't think you do. And I don't understand yours. Lets just agree to disagree.
I've said my piece. I'll leave any further comments to others.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:No, I don't think you do. And I don't understand yours. Lets just agree to disagree.
I've said my piece. I'll leave any further comments to others.
:arrow: it is realy helpful if you dont explain what you´re meaning.Thanks a lot. :cry:

my points:

1) depots only at the Hempty means crafters has a lot to carry between the towns and the Inn
2) for example: smithing means - mining different ore + coal -> melting + gathering a lot of other materials -> smithing --> that means a lot of work and long ways for "nothing"
3) to push the Inn as a "meeting place" does not mean that the char there want to rp with you ( i hate the idea to be forced to something )
4) the Hempty as "meeting point" may be helpful for fighters, but not for crafters
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

This proposal is a very dirty solution to the problem we want to get rid of, if it is a solution at all. Just imagine how weird it would be that the towns have no storage and leave all their depots at the inn. Why would any sane town ruler put up with that? Teleporting between depot and town workshop 50 times a day? That may be okay in some really messed up scifi scenario, but in Illa it would seem very out of place. This is no proper alternative to a one town setting.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Hew said already it is probably not a good idea - I was fond of it, too. But yes I didn't see the craft/politic side.
But how about Sammy's proposal ? - sounds really nice for me.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Sammy Goldlieb wrote:Uhm but what about doing all the three towns depots at Hempties and leave the town depots beeing? That would encourge some players to go there for trading, like for greater masses of goods, but also because it is comfortable. Not to speak of the new rps that couldengage....
Is there a negative to this? Would it encourage RP by trade?
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

I don't see anything seriously negative with Sammy's, but let's imagine this gets implemented. What would actually change?
- easier to transfer items between towns
- getting banned from a town doesn't come with loss of items stored there

Would this encourage players to visit the Necktie? Yes, but probably only for item exchange when they have agreed upon one through other channels. If you want to make the Necktie a good spot to meet people for spontaneous trade and chatter, you need to give people a reason to spend time there even when nobody else is around. Otherwise, people will go there, see no other chars and go back to their towns or the wilderness for crafting or fighting some monsters.

I'd also like you all to consider if pulling players from the towns to the Necktie is a good idea in the first place. It is not an obvious place for newbies to visit and newbies should arrive at a populated place so they have the chance to get help and RP as easily as possible. Also, what is the purpose of having three towns if the goal is to concentrate activity in one location?
Ranwyln

Post by Ranwyln »

Borgates is as i know some sort of "outlaw" place, add merchants there that buy items no other merchant takes (liek icebird amulets and so on), and maybe add a merchant that sells random items at random times (like pures, "fun" items, rare herbs whatever, a real blackmarket), or add static tools that can be used by outlaws (in the cellar only accessable through "points" gathered from Borgate for whatever (ye only can get those points without beeing member of a city, or use the tools only at random times), or a merchant where ye can exchange goods...like 2 pure earth for a pure fire or ten iron ingots for 1 gold ingot and so on. If we want to keep all the towns...and make the Hempties more the central one make it interesting...or an annual fair that happens there...
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Ranwyln wrote:or add static tools that can be used by outlaws (in the cellar only accessable through "points" gathered from Borgate for whatever (ye only can get those points without beeing member of a city, or use the tools only at random times)
No. We don't want outlaws to be something like a fourth faction. Something which can be only used by outlaws is not an option.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I like Sammy's suggestion. Immensely. The only reason I don't trade with other towns is because it is such a pain in the arse. I adore the Inn, I think the setup is really nice. I would like to see more activity there, as I rarely run across anyone when I'm in that neck of the woods.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Sammy Goldlieb wrote:Uhm but what about doing all the three towns depots at Hempties and leave the town depots beeing? That would encourge some players to go there for trading, like for greater masses of goods, but also because it is comfortable. Not to speak of the new rps that couldengage....
This might have promise, but only if we can build new depots. Not move existing depots. And it would make it easier to move resources from one town to another (I know I miss my old mule), which may encourage people to work in other realms more. Especially if we can get the fees taken off for using tools. I believe Galmair already has removed their fee. It would be nice to see some new folk in town working.

As to Velisai's comment, regarding outlaws, getting to their valuables, that were once untouchable. That is quite true. Being banned from a town came with a steep price, losing access to all possessions. This would be a huge change in that regard. However, the banning is meant to keep citizens safe, correct? Is the access to possessions a consideration? It was a good motivator in getting the outlaw to try and return to good standing. Something to consider.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Uhuru wrote:

As to Velisai's comment, regarding outlaws, getting to their valuables, that were once untouchable. That is quite true. Being banned from a town came with a steep price, losing access to all possessions. This would be a huge change in that regard. However, the banning is meant to keep citizens safe, correct? Is the access to possessions a consideration? It was a good motivator in getting the outlaw to try and return to good standing. Something to consider.
Not only do you lose your chance at getting new gems, but lose those stored up. And lose almost any form of making money other than being an outlaw, robbing people.
If you want to be able to ban, then there also has to be a way for the banned to continue or they will just quit. And I think outlaws bring color to an otherwise bland game.

Just two coppers from an outlaw.

Edit by Dji. Please no Insults
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Maybe I'm missing something important, but I also don't see the problem with having outlaws as a fourth faction. If people don't like the available choices, take it or leave it is kind of a crummy policy. Does anyone remember when Trollsbane depots were in every town on Gobaith? The simpler solution is to put a depot from each town in all towns. And sure, toss one of each into the wilderness.

Why this talk of forcing outlaws into a pattern of behavior that only adds to the boringness? How is a bunch of people grinding warrior and crafting skills and all lovey and getting along merrily a fun game?

Edit: As long as depots are the topic, another nice solution would be to put depots into the mines and other places where resource gathering takes place. That way resource gatherers could get their hideous tasks out of the way and then spend more time in town crafting instead of running back and forth gathering up supplies.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Kamilar wrote:Edit: As long as depots are the topic, another nice solution would be to put depots into the mines and other places where resource gathering takes place. That way resource gatherers could get their hideous tasks out of the way and then spend more time in town crafting instead of running back and forth gathering up supplies.
Wouldn't that be grand! Depots right where people would need and use them! We actually had this in Silverbrand. However, I believe this would lead to less interaction as people would hideout in the caves and other holes. Admit it miners, you'd never come above ground for days on end. But such is a miner's way. Bringing mules into caves was commonplace. I would personally rather not see this again, but it would sure make gathering resources less stressful.

But if we put depots in caves, do we also put them near fruit trees and mud pits and animals? Where does it end? Once we start moving the depots out, people will want them everywhere. I have to vote no on this one I'm afraid. Nice idea, grand even, my characters would love it, but just not practical and where to draw the line? Why be nice to one group of gatherers and not all?
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I think the real question is, what's the ultimate goal? To make things equally difficult for everyone and keep the map nice and clean and empty? Or is the goal to loosen up some of the drudgery and get people logging in and hanging out in predictable places?