Return to the old movement system

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Ufedhin

Return to the old movement system

Post by Ufedhin »

This new movement update is simply terrible there really is no other way to describe it .I have tried for almost a week of game play to come to terms with it .It does not work .
Can we please have the old system back ,that was just fine.

Thank you.
Annabeth

Re: Return to the old movement system

Post by Annabeth »

I agree. Though have you tried tweaking the settings for movement? Like disabling automatically finding a path past objects and such? That made it somewhat better for me.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Maybe more people should have requested that option I posted on mantis, I believe I said that it was not about the movement bugs, also didn't ANYONE test the movement?? It was there, on the test server, I said it was bad, yet it appears no one else even tried, now it's implemented and people are complaining.

Yes, I have said this since it was on the test server, it is bad. Also my movement did not lag at all before now it's pretty bad and slowly driving me insane.

For this I don't blame the devs but the players, we had a period of about 3 months to put in our opinions on this movement change. Now that it is implemented people send their feedback. Now we want the change putting more work on the devs when they could be getting done with Milestone 1 and moving to magic. I simply want to point this out.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

It works pretty well for me with the avoid obstacles option off, so maybe you guys are experiencing bugs? I still use wasd-movement mostly, but whenever I use the mouse, it does what it should.
However, having options to turn off UI features you just don't like even when they are bug free, is always a good thing.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Well ive messed around with all of the options and for me its just no fun at all, if i click a spot to walk to i wander around it and around it or backwards, sideway or any other bloody way when using the mouse . Using the num pad is only margionally better as it sometimes the character does not even respond to the keys.
To be honest for me it makes the game unplayable for any lenght of time,as a non warrior type it makes any kind of movement unpredictable therefore far too risky in dangerous areas ,so im restricted to safe zones.
What i dont understand is why fix something that was not broken ??? :? what we have now for the majority it seems is far worse.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Ufedhin wrote:Well ive messed around with all of the options and for me its just no fun at all, if i click a spot to walk to i wander around it and around it or backwards, sideway or any other bloody way when using the mouse . Using the num pad is only margionally better as it sometimes the character does not even respond to the keys.
To be honest for me it makes the game unplayable for any lenght of time,as a non warrior type it makes any kind of movement unpredictable therefore far too risky in dangerous areas ,so im restricted to safe zones.
What i dont understand is why fix something that was not broken ??? :? what we have now for the majority it seems is far worse.
I have the same trouble using the mouse walk, no matter which options I check/uncheck. I can use num pad to walk with accuracy but is lags or unresponsive sometimes. Also after a long walk, it won't stop until I run into something.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I would just like an option to disable the CTRL toggle. I liked the old way of holding down the CTRL to run, it was much swifter for me. But I know others like it. I would just like the option to turn off the toggle to run.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Really can we please have this fixed? i refuse to have my character die due to this movement issue and will log off if it forces the character into a situation where death is likely.
With no other movement update ever have i ever experienced this kind of disfunction,i have checked evey thing i can think of my side ,even dumping all and redownloading and can find no issue.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Another small update ,while the character is under a heavy burden it becomes completely uncontrollable unless i step one step at a time with the num pad
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

What type of computer do you use? Probably a MAC? There are some known issues with MACs our devs cannot really tackle due to lacking test hardware.

What "old" system are you referring to, anyway? Walking with arrow keys only and moving up-left if you press up? You can activate this junk in the options, the checkbox is called classic walking or similar.

Walking will be improved with the next update. To make sure your problems also get fixed, please check the bugtracker if they are already reportet.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

I run windows vista on an old Intel ,lenovo think centre system 8) .The other movement system is most likely an incorrect assumption on my part ,rather i refer to the movement pre the last update.
Good news that its being looked at thanks for that.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I know that there are problems with the movement that is currently active on the game server and we are in progress of improving it.

But detailed descriptions of the cases where the movement currently fails would be nice.

Nitram
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Die Auto walk funktion wird beim loslassen der maustaswte aktiviert, nicht beim klicken. Das hat unter anderem zur Folge das der Char beim "mit der Maus stuern" nicht stehen belibt wenn man die Maus loslässt wie früher sondern eben versucht an die stelle zu gelangen wo die Maus war. Gut 80% meiner Probleme beim Steuern haben damit zu tun.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Das ist kein Fehler sondern eine Funktion die mit viel Aufwand und auf Wunsch eines Einzelnen (vilarion) eingebaut wurde. Meine Tendenz geht dahin, diese Funktion via Option deaktivierbar zu machen. Allerdings würde ich gern vermeiden, dass wir irgendwann 1000 Optionen haben und da keiner mehr durchblickt.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

I not sure what Rince' has said but the main troubles im having is how my character doubles back and takes very strange routes to the tiles i click on and then when/if he gets there he goes around and around never stopping.It is not so bad if i am constantly clicking while moving but trying any careful movement or slowing down it is just pure frustraition.
When he is burdened this is exagerated to such an extent he becomes uncontrolable.

Hope this helps.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

According to my observations at Gameclient the pathfinding fails even more, the slower your Internet-Conection is.
For example, if I keep downloading stuff or even youtubeing music I can feel huge difference in ammount of mistakes and useless circles the pathfinding calculates before reaching it's destination.

At the Testserver the char moves even more awkwardly with high traffic. Also my chars can't run (no they are not overloaded)

Yup i chekced the ping. I usually have 80-100 and the pathfinding does very well.
While a downlaod it's about 3000 and my char starts to walk like a drunkard.

In case you ain't figured that out yet, I will reward myself with the "Bugfinder of the Month"-Award again.

best wishes
Rince
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

English summary: It's the pathfinding an d a double used key.

Ich glaub ich hab das schon mal im Chat mitgeteilt.
Ich bin ein reiner Mausläufer.

1. Die Doppelbelegung der linken ALT Taste mit Wechsel rennen<->wandern und zeige Namen führt dazu, dass ich nie weiß, ob ich grade laufen oder rennen 'will'. Nehmt bitte eine andere Taste für eine der beiden Funktionen, da sind 102(z.B. L).
2. Bei gehaltener Maustaste bitte nur nach vorn laufen lassen. Umgeh totale Hindernisse aber weiche keinem Modder aus. Wenns nicht weiter geht weil Wand ... geht nicht.
3. Wenn Maus gehalten war und losgelassen wird, stehenbleiben. Ich weiß eh nicht wo genau mein Mauszeiger grade ist. Im dümmsten Fall hinter einem Hindernis und mein Char läuft im Dungeon zurück.
4. Numpad reagiert nicht oder nur mit Verzögerung. ALT Numpad ist ein Glücksspiel.

Da es möglicherweise ein Problem gibt zu erkennen ob ein Tile frei ist, im Client vorausdenken. Es sollte möglich sein ohne Serverrückfrage auf ein Tile zu gehen, das nicht direkt in Reichweite eines NPC oder PC liegt. Damit würden die Wartezeiten bei den Serverrückfragen drastisch sinken. Landen doch mal 2 auf einem Tile, Char zufällig auf ein Nachbartile verschieben.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

As I said we are currently working on improving the walking a lot in matters of response time and fast path finding.
The main improvement in matters of response time is basically what Banduk said. The client predicts if a move is possible or not and how long it will take and performs it before getting the "OK" by the server. In case the server rejects the move, the client will reset. If the server confirms it the client will just keep moving.

We will release this once its working in a stable way. Once that is done why can discuss how to improve it further.

Nitram
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

ich bin ein Tastenläufer und total traurig mit der neuen Doppelbelegung ist es fast unmöglich vernünftig zu laufen
Estralis Seborian

"neue Doppelbelegung" bedeutet...?
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Alt Gr:
1) Gehen / Laufen - schaltend
2) alle Namen anzeigen

- früher war es so schön
Alt Gr gedrückt: rennen + alle Namen
ohne Alt Gr: gehen + keine Namen
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

okay I am requesting once again we get a rollback or an option for the click and release type movement we had just before the implementation of this one click movement.

This is not about the bugs, this is not about the bugs, this IS not about the bugs.

I've seen quite a few people ask for this, and time and again it was shot down, why? just put an option for one click movement, theres options for everything else for movement. I know it may be complicated, but the wasd does not do it for me as I try to move and rp without getting a awwwaawwwwsssddddd, and the one click while good for some people doesn't do it for other, you lack control.

please change this, please stop ignoring the people who have openly requested this, such as Ufedhin, me, and Nathi to list just three, and obviously there are others who think the same who may not be checking to forums or mantis.
Estralis Seborian

Afaik, click and hold still works. What exactly should this option do? What shall be different if the checkbox is checked?
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

it should be an option for one click movement or not one click moevement.

As before the movement where it either took a double click to walk to a spot or click and hold where release of the mouse would stop the char. This would be the option that is not one click movement.

if the box is checked that should mean that they are using the movement as it is currently.

Thank you for considering this.
Estralis Seborian

Mephistopheles wrote:okay I am requesting once again we get a rollback or an option for the click and release type movement we had just before the implementation of this one click movement.

Leaves me confused. You ask for click and release (hold) and this was never removed. Now you ask for deactivating single click movement.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

That walking feature is still implemented, yes, however it has changed since before, when you release the mouse your character still goes to the last tile it was on. In the movement before the one click was implemented this was not so. Your character stopped moving on release of the mouse.

This type of movement was favored by a few because, for them, it provided more control. While you are in a fight or simply trying to walk anywhere clicking on a tile alot of times isn't very accurate. With the movement on a single click this movement is no longer optimal.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

It provided more control because it ignored items on the map. I've created a mantis task that addresses this problem, but it likely involves a bit of a trade off. Please review and comment.

Regardless of my suggestion there, I support having an option to switch between different movement methods if it can be done with less than huge effort. If you are concerned about too many options confusing newbies, get rid of "Use classic style for walking". Is anyone even using that?