Item pickup / Aufsammeln von Gegenständen

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Velisai

Item pickup / Aufsammeln von Gegenständen

Post by Velisai »

Before I write up a feature request in Mantis many wouldn't want, I'd like to ask you all whether you'd prefer if items you pick up with the P key for example landed in the bag by default instead of the belt.

For me, when gathering resources, having the stuff land in the belt is alright. When I fight monsters however, the loot constantly clutters up the belt and makes switching weapons inconvenient, since I have to open both bag and inventory in order to find a free slot to drop the weapon from the hands into and drag it over the entire screen. What do you think?

Of course a comment from a developer on the difficulty of such a change would be very welcome too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Bevor ich einen Eintrag im Mantis mache, den viele gar nicht wollen würden, möchte ich euch alle fragen ob ihr es bevorzugen würdet wenn Gegenstände die ihr zum Beispiel per P Taste aufsammelt standardmäßig in der Tasche statt dem Gürtel landen würden.

Für mich ist es beim Rohstoffe Sammeln wie es ist OK. Wenn ich aber Monster totschlage, müllen mir die Drops ständig die Gürtelslots zu, was das Wechseln der Waffe unbequem macht, da ich sowohl Tasche als auch Inventar öffnen muss um einen freien Platz zu finden, in den ich die Waffe aus der Hand stecken kann. Dazu muss ich sie noch über den ganzen Bildschirm ziehen. Wie seht ihr das?

Natürlich wäre auch ein Kommentar eines Entwicklers zur Schwierigkeit einer solchen Änderung sehr willkommen.
Evie
Developer

Re: Item pickup / Aufsammeln von Gegenständen

Post by Evie »

I would like the feature of things automatically going to the bag. When hunting. I am constantly moving looted items to my bag so that a belt slot stays free to swap from bow to dagger and shield if I encounter a range monster.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

I like the idea,

As a workaround unusally I block the slots in the belts by cherries or apples. It's one click now to get an empty slot for fast weapon exchange.

But the better solution would be if CTRL P(lunder) ignores the belt slot.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Please, no CTRL-P! Don't wanna print dozens of pages each day :-P.

What if the player has no bag? Shall the belt used then? Or no pick up? I also think the belt should not be used for "automatic" item placement but this must also hold for crafted items then. I think it is pretty easy to change the order of container slots that are considered by the item creation methods, but vilarion might know better.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

If there is no bag or a full bag, stuff should go to the belt, yes. As you say, simply a change of the order in which the slots are filled would do the trick. I hope it isn't too complicated to do.

While gathering resources or crafting, having the items appear in the bag wouldn't be an inconvenience in my opinion, but I might have missed something so let's leave this open for a while to see if anyone has something to add.
EnderDDT

Post by EnderDDT »

I agree that the bag would be a lot more convenient. When you are doing crafting or such there isn't a big problem with stuff going into the bag rather than the belt, it isn't like you absolutely need more screen space or faster reactions. But when you are in or preparing to be in battle, boy does that make a difference. Furthermore the fact that opening up your character screen is a one touch matter that doesn't interrupt stuff (as opposed to opening the bag) means that you want what you want there, not what gets shoved into the spaces.

Of course, no bag or no spaces in bag=>default to belt. While I think it would be slightly more convenient to put automatic item placement (from quests and crafting) on your belt, I really don't think it is worth the programing time to make the differentiation. If anyone is worried about new players not knowing where stuff is going than we can just add a half-sentance to the Noobia "pick fruits" person saying "your stuff will go into your bag, press "b" to open your bag." or something.
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Item pickup actually consists of four steps, not two and works like item creation for any character. These steps are implemented in Characer::createItem(...). Changing this order would also change the behavour for any other item creation like buying items, quest items, crafting, automatic single item pickup, etc.:
  1. Increase stacks in belt
  2. Increase stacks in bag
  3. Put items into empty belt spaces 1-6
  4. Put items into empty bag spaces 1-n
I assume we should still fill stacks first (if you have coal in your belt, you probably want your coal there?!) but switch steps 1 and 2 as well as steps 3 and 4 respectively which would result in:
  1. Increase stacks in bag
  2. Increase stacks in belt
  3. Put items into empty bag spaces 1-n
  4. Put items into empty belt spaces 1-6
There are even some possible variations (of this new version):
E.g. switch steps 1 and 2 back. (You have coal in your belt so you know what you are doing and want to increase there first.)
Or switch steps 2 and 3. (Completely fill the bag before even touching the belt.)

I am currently away and won't get to this before Sunday or Monday, but I have pointed you towards the correct function. So if anyone feels up to implementing the change and sending me a pull request on github, go ahead, I would appreciate it! :)
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Fixed by Caldarion in 0.9.1.10: http://git.io/ayyYLg