Rassenunterschiede - Differences between the races

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Avariel

Rassenunterschiede - Differences between the races

Post by Avariel »

So weit ich weiß gibt es zwischen den verschiedenen Rassen bisher keine spieltechnischen Unterschiede, außer dass Orks rohes Fleisch und Echsen rohen Fisch verzehren können. Das entspricht ihrer Natur und hat bisweilen Anlass zu gutem Rollenspielen oder auch Charaktergestaltung gegeben.
Ich schlage vor, auch den Elfen eine solche kleine Besonderheit zu geben. Als Waldbewohner könnten sie in der Lage sein, Beeren zu verzehren, die für andere ungenießbar sind. Ich denke dabei an Blaue Vogelbeeren, Frommbeeren, Einblättrige Vierbeeren und vierblättrige Einbeeren. Diese Früchte wachsen im Wald oder auf Wiesen und wären Teil des jahrhunderete alten Lebensraumes der Elfen. Der Nährgehalt darf dabei nicht hoch sein (wie Pilze vielleicht), es soll kein spielerischer Vorteil entstehen. Aber es könnte gutes Rollenspiel entstehen, wenn Alchemisten mitansehen, wie seltene Zutaten ihrer Tränke im Mund eines Elfen verschwinden, weil er sie als Leckerei entdeckt hat.

As far as I know, there are no differnces between the races so far, except that orcs are able to eat raw meat and lizards to eat raw fish. This is according to their nature and has given opportunity for good roleplay or character design. I propose, that elves should be given such a special food. As inhabitants of the woods they could be able to eat berries, which others cant. I am thinking of the Blue birdsberry, the Piusberry, the oneleafed Fourberry and the fourleafed Oneberry. All these fruits grow on grass or in the woods and are part of the enviorment, which elves inhabit since many centuries. The nutritional worth shouldnt be big (perhaps like raw mushrooms), so they dont get an in game benefit. But I think good roleplay could occur, when an alchemyst watches, how rare ingredients of his potions are eaten as sweets by an elf.
Mephistopheles

Re: Rassenunterschiede - Differences between the races

Post by Mephistopheles »

Elves practically dont age... isnt that enough? geez lol

some differences I see are
Lizards: Tails, can eat raw fish, and awesome accents
Orcs: generally dumb =P eat raw meat (meatheads) also fun accents
Elves: usually stuck up pansies (player opinion :D )THEY DONT AGE basically meaning you wont be forced to perma kill your elf a few rl years from now
Humans: bland.. just bland
Dwarves: Also live a relatively long life and coins tend to gravitate to them
Halflings: uhh dont really know what to say about halfers

ya Mephisbarto's guide to Illarion Races not counting drows, fairies, goblins etc. etc.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Mephistopheles wrote: ya Mephisbarto's guide to Illarion Races not counting drows, fairies, goblins etc. etc.
That's racist :evil:

But to the topic... I see your point, but I won't say it's necessary to give each race an own "advantage" or something like that. If you start to list those reasons you could ask for the possibility for lizards to move on water, because it's their native home.

So.. I disagree. Mephistopheles made (besides it's racist) a good list of "advantages" of each race.
Avariel

Post by Avariel »

Mephistopheles is right, of course, that there are plenty of differences. It depends on the player, to form his character. It is up to the player, wether his lizard or orc has an accent or not, wether an dwarf loves gold or not, wether an elf is more diciplined or not. I dont argue about that. Elfs are known as those "fruit eaters", orcs and dwarfs make often fun of. Of course, an elf could stick to Red elderberrys and that would be weird enough. I just thought, that it would increase the ... different view points between, for example dwarfs and elfs, if an dwarf alchemist has to watch how some of the ingredients, he so dearly needs, are eaten by that elf over there.

@Katharina: There is no advantage in this at all, just a difference. An orc has no advantage at all, if he eats raw meat. It has too little nutrition. As soon as he makes sausages, the meat will fill his belly far more. The same with raw fish and lizards. So there is no advantage at all, just a difference.
Tinuva Geogroda
Location: A Tree In The Northern Forest, Oh Noes, The Northern Forest Is Mine Now!! Mwhahaha...

Post by Tinuva Geogroda »

While I can see that this would be nice to me it seems like something which is just to flesh out a finished game.
When everything you want is done the team sits around and looks at each race (because there is way more to do than just eating berries for one elf).

But for the roleplay this wouldnt matter, roleplay overcomes technical limitations.
It's the accent that does it more than the berries, the trade you choose that does it more than the fish the interests your character shows that does it more than the meat, imho.

For me it is already there, no matter if I can double click the food or if I have to throw it away somewhere sneaky, my character will eat it if its acceptable roleplay wise.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

If you want engine based advantages for a race, think about one for every race. Then, one can start to think (!) about implementing those.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Mephistopheles wrote: Halflings: uhh dont really know what to say about halfers
Hairy feet?
And how could you forget second breakfast?
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

you dont really need engine based advantages in case of what Avariel is suggesting.
but yeah i would like engine based advantages if that can be done.

But the thing is for RP purposes like pissing of an alchemist; you could just emote saying that you are eating the herb.
i always emote Purple gulping down smoked fish. i might/ might not make him eat at all at that moment. and even if he eats i can just as well eat a dish or baked item. the thing is there is no emote related to what you are eating which is automatically shown so you can RP it out as you want.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Avariel wrote:
@Katharina: There is no advantage in this at all, just a difference. An orc has no advantage at all, if he eats raw meat. It has too little nutrition. As soon as he makes sausages, the meat will fill his belly far more. The same with raw fish and lizards. So there is no advantage at all, just a difference.

I said "advantage" in lack of a better word.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

uh, you start messing with herbs and your character could get seriously ill. Unless s/he is an alchemist, you just don't know what properties you are dealing with and/or mixing. You wouldn't believe what I've seen in game with herb mixing in the mouth/tummy. :)

Granted, this is all RP and there is no catalyst. No magical gem powder is added, hopefully. But... still. Be careful.
Avariel

Post by Avariel »

I know that there is no need to double click a meal while discribing, how it is eaten. I just think that there needs to be a set frame if characters want to eat other plants than those, which are created so by the engine. If anybody starts to eat anything, how can certain plants be poisonous? There wouldnt be a common knowlegde of the herbs and no common qualities or abilities of plants either. Everybody could give any possible ability to any plant. So I asked for a set frame, everybody would know. So there would be common ground.
Tinuva Geogroda
Location: A Tree In The Northern Forest, Oh Noes, The Northern Forest Is Mine Now!! Mwhahaha...

Post by Tinuva Geogroda »

That is, in fact, a legitimate thought Avariel. But to be honest I find food a strange example in this.
There is a lot of common information that should be known to characters inhabiting Illarion that we do not always know as PO.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

There are plenty of fruits available for elves to eat in the wild, red elder ,black berries,straw berries,sand berries,bananas,tangerines,apples,cherries,and mushrooms,chamingnons,herder mushrooms,red heads to name a few, i disagree elves need special foods.
Not all berries should be palatable even to elves .
Avariel

Post by Avariel »

Hm... I get the point, Uffe. There is no real necesity for such a "food ... whatsoever". The woods already provide enough for those who want to live of fruits and herbs. Well, I guess I burry that proposal.
Raelith

Post by Raelith »

Avariel wrote:Hm... I get the point, Uffe. There is no real necesity for such a "food ... whatsoever". The woods already provide enough for those who want to live of fruits and herbs. Well, I guess I burry that proposal.
The proposal itself is sound and no need to bury it but as mentioned before...

A) Don't limit it to food

B)
While I can see that this would be nice to me it seems like something which is just to flesh out a finished game.
When everything you want is done the team sits around and looks at each race (because there is way more to do than just eating berries for one elf).
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

I always liked the idea of elves not being slowed when walking on natural surfaces in the old client. But having no bonus on worked surfaces. Was always fun for me in my head.