IG Doves

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Mr.Oldie

IG Doves

Post by Mr.Oldie »

FIRST OF ALL:
I know this is an old request for getting Doves inside the game..
AMNT talking about sending items..
Got this idea when one of the GM used some command and "send a dove" to one of my characters.

am asking for a !dove command :D enabled for all characters ig
Syntax:
!d <To Character name > <Message>
Effect:
**** writes on a parchment, ties it to a dove and sends it flying (#me effect automatically enabled on entering the command)
**** sees a dove flying towards him and it settles down on his/her shoulder(#me effect enabled automatically on receiving\when the command is entered by the sender)
You hear(or read):<message>
(this part is what i got when a GM used to get my attention, which i assume can be paired into this !d command which can only heard by the single pearon who is recieves it not the people near him)

This would be very helpful if people get lost or something during some Quest/adventure...
Now sometimes we use IRC for such things which needs both of the party to be logged in on it.. which if not prearranged isnt possible.
Or forum messages which is bad since if the pages are not refreshed no notifications is recieved for the new PM
I think most would support this idea..
If you are afraid of spaming or it being used as a world chat put on some limit to it like no more than 2 doves without any replies from the other...
OR no more than 3 in an hour or such... I dunno...
Annabeth

Re: IG Doves

Post by Annabeth »

Mail system already being worked on as mentioned in a few previous topics.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

As i said....
I know that already..
And amnt talking about that...
Mail system that is being worked on is about sending items as well as messages from a fixed point using an NPC which is going to be charged and used as a money sink..
Am talking about just simple doves.. which we can send from middle of forrest when we are lost...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

And how many people do you know that carry around doves all the time? This proposal is strange...
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

I quote Estralis on this matter : :D (or was it Vilarion?)

"WE are not looking for realism in this game.."

anyways... RPing to get/catch a dove out of the sky or tree etc etc can be done..
I proposed this to make it more convienient for people who get suddenly logged off due to crashes and such. the rest of the party could move on insted of waiting for him without knowing whether he/she might come back.. any player could just log in after that ask for the whereabouts and such..
Also this will lead to more RP by bringing people to a common place..
Alt -TAbbing can be avoided to send simple messages

It has more and greater advantages to this... that i dont know of yet :D
Enabling this and then controlling the disadvantages or abuses would be better... i think

If you want.. you could limit the characters and make sure the messages stay small..
Also as i said before provide time limit if you are afraid of this being misused as something similar to "world/public chat" in other games
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Catching fully trained messenger doves out of trees and the sky that knows how to deliver your messages to people. Logic.
We may not reach for perfect realism, but there are /some/ things too unreal.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Avoiding strangeness does not imply realism. I don't know why people always think that.

I fail to see any need for that and something like this "!d <To Character name > <Message>" is ugly anyway. We try to move away from those kind of chat comments. We certainly won't make new ones.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

The syntax i provided was of mock format...
DEVs are at liberty to make the syntax as they chose.. it was just to explain the concept in my mind that i used that syntax..

Hunters, really good ones, in certain Fantasy stories has been known to keep atleast one dove with them near by some where if not on them.
In a world that right now uses even Slimes trained in bottles, and which some characters are known to use as messengers instead of doves; i dont think its strange to keep one or two doves or even "Wraith/Spirit" or anything that could fit in a bottle or such and use them as messengers..
And if strangeness need to be totally avoided or atleast to an extent, dove chambers or cages could be dotted all through out the map... may be linked to the "Explorer Guild stones"
This could even take away the neeed for creating commands..

Not trying to annoy anyone here... just thinking its worth a try, thts all :)