The Galmairian Weekly

All about Galmair and its Guilds. / Alles über Galmair und die Gilden in Galmair.

Moderators: Valerio Guilianni, Gamemasters

Galmairian Weekly

The Galmairian Weekly

Post by Galmairian Weekly »

The Galmairian Weekly
The Region's First Honest and Unbiased News Publication

We live in troubling times. Black dragons fly the in the sky waiting to strike. Multiple demons have appeared to cause havoc across the land. It is in these times that the people deserve honesty. That is why the region's very first honest and unbiased news publication has been formed, The Galmair Weekly. It is our hope that this publication will operate with a rotating number of scheduled contributors. We thank all the contributors, sources, and interviewees for our inaugural edition. We also note that any opinions by interviewees or contributors are not necessarily shared by other contributors and that we do not speak for Valerio Giuliani or any Galmairian chancellor(s).
Chancellor Elections & Interview with a Candidate

The time has come again for the chancellor elections in Galmair. In less than one dwarven day three new chancellors will be elected by Galmairians based off the stated rules. For your convenience we have transcribed the rules from the Don's Hand:
It is once again it is time for the annual Chancellor elections. We meet at 1500 on 13. Ushos 46.

Each candidate for Chancellor will have to pay a 25 gold entry fee and must be ranked at least as Patrician.

Every citizen is allowed 4 votes. Three votes for Chancellors and one against a candidate.

Each vote costs a minimum of 5 gold coins, but may be extended to 20 gold coins.

The three candidates with most money voted for them win.
-Transcribed from a written comment by Oxiana
Currently only two citizens have officially notified others in writing of their intent to try to be elected chancellors: Bob and Artimer Fault. We were able to contact Mr. Fault and asked him some questions about himself and the issues facing Galmair. With his permission we reproduce his written answers below:
How would you describe yourself to Galmairians who may not know you well or at all?

To be honest, I am a fairly simple man. I enjoy working with my hands, as I have the whole of my life, even back to Troll's Bane. I have faced a number of challenges in my time, and witnessed many different threats to the various locations I have lived. I do not presume to have all the answers, but I do believe seeking wisdom in matters before acting.

Galmair has recently swept the games again, do you see anyone usurping Galmair in the coming years?

Due to the current relations with the other towns and their lack of participation, I believe it is within our sight that we could secure many more victories. If however, other towns begin to participate, then there may be more of a contest.

Do you think Galmair has any glaring needs that have gone unaddressed to this point? Do you have plans to address if you win?

We have a large number of projects that have been proposed, some pushed forward, others not. I believe addressing those plans first will be important.
If the gods simply delivered whatever we wished, I would make a stronger farming community and area, and some smaller projects in the underground to clean that area up.

These are just a few building projects off the top of my head. I would also like to see a clearer military, but this is not my area of expertise.

Everyone is aware of the tensions and effigy burning in Cadomyr. Where do you see diplomatic relations going during your next term?

Diplomacy is always difficult. As a tradesman and merchant, I tend to see diplomacy in a similar manner as I do trade. There are times when you are able to work together to form a good trade, and there are other individuals who are not interested in the offer. You continue to extend that to them however, in the off chance that they accept it. There are many individuals within Galmair who have ties to Cadomyr, and I do not believe any of us seek to cause harm between the two towns. However, there are also highly motivated individuals who would seek to cause harm to our citizens, as well as the Don. I believe those individuals are the cause of the growing divisions within diplomatic relations. I will continue to seek to maintain positive interactions with the other communities, despite it seeming to be a recent trend to throw accusations on our fair town.

The only other official candidates announced are Bob and Kyre. How do you feel about that group of chancellors if you're all to win?
Editor Correction: Kyre declined to be a candidate.

I do believe that I would be able to work with Bob, and have worked with Kyre in the past. However, if parchments that have been posted are still accurate, then it appears Kyre is not running for chancellor this season.

Do you feel the citizens should have any concerns over the recent issues with Ratmen?

The issues with the Ratmen should be monitored, to say the very least. It is my belief, based on what we found on the initial investigation, that there is another being involved with them, who has yet to reveal himself. Due to the nature of alchemy and its wide variety of effects, I believe it to be wise to guard against them. Examples of this would be to have stocks of clean drinking water, always get potions purchased checked by other alchemists, and to avoid coins left behind by the ratmen, or at the very least, thoroughly examine them.
Building Project Summary

Thanks to Chancellor Kyre for providing this update of building projects in her own words:

The biggest priority at the moment is the mage house which will be worked on by mages and friends. If you gaze at the wall begun you will see the meticulous runes we have already sketched in the mortar between the bricks. It should be a powerful building once complete. The wheel you see will lend power to aid in the portal we have planned.

Past projects: The hospital is now complete.. and should be a refuge for the town. The market place was to have been completed by Tialdin. I believe at present the idea is to wait and allow the new Chancellors to decide what to finish. The mages started by already moving the depot toward the workroom.

With the hen house and gates complete there is no further plans for this Chancellorship. We will have to wait for the next and see what is approved.

Hopefully future project: My personal project is to build just a rough skeleton of a couple of cabins, yet that is down the road and will require approval.
Hew Keenaxe Escapes

The dwarf Hew Keenaxe was accused of assaulting the Cadomyrian named Welldar Haneson. After eluding capture for some time he surrendered and appeared before a trial where Welldar Haneson was found innocent and Hew Keenaxe was found guilty. His punishment included lashes and hard labor. He was sent to the mine where he soon escaped. The scribe of House Sea Serpent issued this statement:
Hew Keenaxe did flee from the mine that all three settlements share as prison before the sentence could be carried out. According to witnesses in near the Galmarian gate the Galmarian Uhuru Prlyer was seen with the fugitive, providing ample arment for the criminal.
-Transcribed from written document of Lettarius of Cadomyr
Ms. Pryler has been heard verbally denying these allegations, suggesting a possibly connection his escape and "providing ample arment". To paraphrase, she has found the accusations to be ludicrous and claims to have given a small bag of food to the dwarf. She was also accounted for at a Galmair construction project at the supposed time of escape. No official action has been taken because these rumors are baseless and irresponsible.

Asked for a written statement Mr. Keenaxe stated his displeasure in his hearing and claimed responsibility for his own escape, but is ultimately seeking to repay his debts:
Fer tha record, I did attend tha trial, such as it were. They did hear mes out but didn't listen. I aim ta serve mes sentence once it is settled. Tha bes if'n tha one tha buys mes term dont push on mes too hard. It do bes true I did escape tha prison. I wasn't gonna waste away waitin fer them ta get back ta mes. How? Tha bes easy. If'n ya want ta keep a dwarf in a hole, don't give him a pick axe. As of yet, I aint done any work. I will once mes new owner directs mes ta. But if'n ya all think this means ya can now run all over mes, ya best be coming armed. I aim ta pay mes debt, but aint takin na shite from noone.

X
Hew Keenaxe
Editor Update: Just prior to publication it was found that Hew likely assaulted a female elf named Milui. A Galmairian War Party of Artimer Fault, Bob, Fooser, and Guy Mitchell found the dwarf and sent him back to prison.
Deterioration in Cadomyr

The situation in the desert has deteriorated this week following an earthquake sent by the Gods themselves to rattle the lands of Cadomyr. Fearing this divine warning Guy Mitchell put ink to parchment to express his concerns for the Cadomyrian people by pointing out seedy connections between Cadomyr and The Bearer's of Fire. He concluded the divine warning was caused by this "parlance with the dishonorable and vile".

Members of House Sea Serpent aggressively attacked multiple Cadomyrian citizens that offered different interpretations for the earthquake. These included petty insults and threats of violence:
Where were you and these wenches to scribble their names here? Not Sarney nor the Bearers of the fire are to blame for any earthquake
The Realms Knights Guy Mitchell and Caiah Daekash are hereby named enemies of the Third House for heresy against Mother Zelphia. They may be slain freely on Cadomyrian and neutral ground
Do these sound like Cadomyrians speaking to other Cadomyrians? Or a hostile occupation force putting down the natives? They are literally willing to kill their countrymen rather than accept other interpretations of the divine other than their own. How have they such gall to presume they know the intentions of the Gods when they send such messages to the mortal realms? It seems the average Cadomyrian is getting little out of this "relationship".

Victims of this harassment: Guy Mitchell, Caiah Daekash, and Azure Lynch are of course warmly welcome in Galmair where their safety will be ensured.

And where is the moral courage from the Queen and the Countess? How was this allowed to happen? Cadomyr has a system of ranks to ensure a level of accountability yet a Baron has been running wild. Rosaline and Annabeth were hiding from public view during the House's Reign of Terror, allowing the madness to stretch on over multiple days. And in the end ... they endorsed Civil War. The Countess writing:
After the events of the past few days, the man Guy Mitchell is no longer welcome to stay in Cadomyr as far as it concerns the fifth house. Having shown his true colors, I have decided that I will not stand in the way of anyone who wishes to persecute him.
It is no shock that people are leaving the desert land in droves. Trade is leaving. The nobility has no courage and have proven they are absolutely clueless and impotent. They throw their friends in the river. They run business out of their town. They will kill their subjects on a whim. Ultimately the Bearer's themselves had to put an end to this madness, likely realizing that allowing their main ally in Cadomyr to execute other Cadomyrians in their name would not be good for their image. So Djironnyma put an end to the embarassment that S'rny caused them by pleading for mercy on Mr. Mitchell's behalf:
Why we still do refer to endeavor in this case position is a request for mercy. We could understand the anger and the disappointment of our brothers and sisters of the House of the Sea Serpent, and we know that we who don´t have rank or nobility in Cadomyr are not entitled in any way to raise objections against the decision of the nobles of Cadomyr. Nevertheless, in the matter of this we ask for to not declare the knight who is responsible for this smear pamphlet for defenseless and so provoke bloodshed.
Banner and Logo Ideas

The Galmair Weekly is looking for artists who are good with ink and dye to develop a banner or logo to head future publications. If multiple individuals submit ideas we may rotate them accordingly.
Future Contributions

The Galmair Weekly will accept numerous contributions from others including letters to the editor, small announcements, and larger contributions. If you attach your name to the submission you will not be censored. If it is anonymous your submission will be at the discretion of the current editor. You may send contributions, questions, or complaints to this address.

Special appreciation to the following: Mr. Thibble Thibblebottom, his wife, and his five children for parchment, ink, and writing services. Also special thanks to this issue's 4 contributors/interviewees.
Galmairian Weekly

Re: The Galmairian Weekly

The Galmairian Weekly
News From the Region, From an Honest Perspective!

Following a turbulent period the Region saw a rather quiet week. Due to the lack of major events to cover we have decided to do a special edition of The Galmairian Weekly. We will designate this edition as the "Voices of Galmair", doing a total of three interviews, more than our standard amount. We hope to bring you more news in this upcoming week! We will continue to strive to bring all of our readers the most honest and unbiased perspectives.

Last Minute Candidates Find Success in Galmair Elections

Prior to the elections two candidates made formal written announcements: Bob and Artimer Fault. When the elections finally came a number of other candidates stepped forward including Evie Pryler, Sarangerel and Kyre, after being forced into the nomation by Oxiana after intially declining multiple times. Once all the gold was tallied Evie Pryler, Bob, and Kyre were announced as winners with Artimer narrowly missing the final cut. Having valuable experience, the new chancellors quickly asked him to be a consult. In a dark turn of events an evil force (a dark skeleton) visited prior to the elections. It is speculated that this creature may be a demon of sorts. Anyone with further information on this creature is directed to see Miss Kyre.

We requested a written interview with victor Bob, who obliged. Here are his responses without any edits:
When did you decide that you wanted to try to be a Chancellor?

Well, I wanted to run for some time, I am still a fairly new citizen to the city of Galmair. I wanted to push for some change for the better in Galmair during these harsh times, and so with the recent tension between the cities I thought I could try to make a difference.

-How do you feel the election went? What is your relationship with the other Chancellors?

I must say I enjoy working with the Proctor, Miss Kyre, and Mister Artimer, and I have been since before I chose to run. I was also pleased when miss Evie and Kyre decided to run at the last moment. I am glad to have earned the chancellorship by votes instead of by default.

-You are the only first time Chancellor to win this time around. What issues to you plan to bring to the forefront? What goals do you have?

I have been rather open about my goals for my term as Chancellor, I wish to see the structure of a military and guard done right to protect our citizens from the hostilities beyond our walls. I also would like to see an increase in gold flow into the city, as well as other valued resources.

-It is said that there is tension between you and Cadomyr/Runewick over the hunting of a demon. Do you wish to clarify this?

I can assure you the demon's days are limited, the tension should soon die down as well. Runewick has taken the rumor of the supposed demon very seriously, and Galmair plans to seek complete cooperation in it's destruction. It is just unfortunate that Cadomyrian leaders have chosen to accuse Galmair blindly because of a single fanatic who would twist words like the demon he hunts instead of standing by us to destroy the abomination. I am confident however, that Cadomyr will persevere and keep the peace between our cities.

-How would you describe yourself to Galmairians who may not know you well?

Each of you will see me differently. I may make enemies and I may make friends, but in the end I am here for Galmair's prosperity and wellbein
The election took place on the 13th of Ushos. Nothing else of import occurred in the region on that day.
Recent Oral Histories of Cadomyr

Following a number of emigrations from Cadomyr, we reached out to some of the new Galmairian citizens to ask about their experiences inside of Cadomyr, the conditions surrounding their exits, and their thoughts of the desert realm. Our first interviewee was Sir Guy Mitchell who has been given the designation of "Knight of Thorns" by the nobles of Cadomyr. He fled after numerous threats and instances of disrespect.
-Did you personally experience the earthquake in Cadomyr? Was it frightening?

I was within the Unicorn Lion when it struck. I was having a drink with Annabeth at the time. We both jumped to our feet and ran outside. Afterwards I checked upon Rosaline. Thankfully. None were injured. The experience did certainly wake me up.

-You theorized that aligning with the Bearers led to such a strong message from the Gods. Do you care to elaborate further to those who aren't aware of things the Bearers have done?

The Bearers have had a long history of self importance. I have heard rumors that Djironnyma was killed in a previous life. and forbidden by Cherga to pass on. As such, the Bearers were forced to cobble together a body for his wayward soul. The one we see now.

However, this is unsubstantiated conjecture. What the Bearers have done, without a shadow of a doubt. Is that they did doom Gobaith by murdering a priest within the walls of Troll's Bane. Any man there would confirm this.

The priest in question did ask for a show of respect for all the gods. Including, i shall admit The Bone Lord. But respect does not equal admiration nor praise. Respect is to have due regard for abilities. and while we do not like the Bone Lord. We admit he has strength. Strength which requires us to fight him. Strength which requires goodness and justice in our hearts. Strength which requires us to stand firm against the Bearers and Ssar'ney. For they have become what they sought to fight. Men who would see the roads run red with blood to be rewarded by their respective gods.

-When you were listed an enemy of Cadomyr, able to by murdered in the streets, what was your reaction?

I was expecting reprimand. Perhaps time in the prison mine for slander, perhaps even to be challenged to a duel by Baron Ssar'ney. To be declared an enemy of Cadomyr upon the level of demons such as Akaltur, when all i did wish to do was protect it. Was incredibly disheartening. I began to consider a move here to Galmair.

-Did anyone approach you to help after you were listed as an enemy of the Third House? Friends? Anyone from the palace?

S'rrt K'Shire, Grandmaster of the order was unavailable.
Anthar Villicon, told me to fetch some combs, and he would consider passing my message along to Rosaline.
Annabeth. Head of a house (and who by Ssar'ney's own declaration could have given me protection with a simple word )and whom i was courting at the time simply told me "You reap what you sow"

-Did anyone attempt violence against you?

Ssar'ney attacked me in the town. Where he did dislocate my shoulder and bloody my nose.

-At what point did you decide you couldn't stay any longer?

When i was ordered to pay 10 pure elements for the horrid crime of offending a lizard and given a 'title' to belittle me.

-How would you reflect on your time in Cadomyr? What do you see in their future in the wake of such wickedness?

Upon the whole. I did enjoy my cadomyrian time. If Cadomyr cannot see that the current crop of nobility is bringing ruin down upon the sands. Then i cannot begin to help them. and they cannot begin to help themselves.
Our second interviewee was Fooser, who decided to leave Cadomyr following a lengthy trip from the region to look for Vern Burnhammer, his brother in arms. Having returned to the region he decided to end his multi-year feud with the Don and settle in Galmair.
-How were your early days in Cadomyr?

Incredible. I had the privilege of being there during the time of the Great Barons of the post-migration period. That was back when Cadomyr was run by men. Tyan, Salathe, Kraex. Cadomyr had the best of everything. The best smiths, the best explorers, the best warriors. The Crimson Order was the greatest guild in the region. Coins were harder to come by then but we were all rich beyond belief.

-What is your opinion of Ss'arney?

I got along well with him. I've said nice things about him and tried to continue saying nice things about him. I was polite as long as possible upon my return but it seems the nobles would rather be petty about almost everything. I think he has changed, it's sad. I have begun to wonder if he is a false prophet of sorts, we should be wary going forward. I've considered reaching out to High Templars further in the mainland to see if they will come and investigate what he's been doing. I'm not sure if I will do it yet.

-What is your opinion of Annabeth?

Total disaster. Very forgettable and unaccomplished in Galmair and Cadomyr. There has been nothing impressive about her as a leader. She slept with Tyan, that's what everyone knew her for. I think she used him. She slept with others, I believe humans would use the word "whore" to describe her. Can anyone name a diplomatic accomplishment of hers? A guild or any other entity she controlled that hasn't withered? Success as a crafter or merchant outside of having one customer? She was with the Crimson Order and became Grandmistress not by merit but by default after all the others had left. S'rrt and Guy had to carry all the weight, she did nothing. By the time she stepped down it was close to dead. I think it's fitting that the nobles just ran out the last regular member, Guy Mitchell, and one of the longest serving. It's dead. The legacy of the old Barons is dead. To say something nice? I may recommend her as a whore. It would depend on who was asking for the recommendation.

-You blame the current nobles for Cadomyr's decline?

Completely. The citizens are great. I am still fond of Rosaline. The problem is the nobles are the voices whispering in her ear. If you only listen to incompetent people then you don't know any better. Cadomyr was great because of Kraex, Salathe, Tyan, Srrt, Guy, Erin, Sammy, Gina, Teptoc, Starling, Vern, and numerous others. Now Cadomyr is essentially ruled by a prolific whore and an illiterate. By the way, this is the real version of things and it's illegal to say in Cadomyr right now. You can't say any of this. Both Annabeth and Ssarney have a long history of lashing out against their own subjects. Cadomyr was a great place. I don't know what rock was overturned to permit these two to show up but it's an unmitigated disaster. I used to be outraged seeing the decline and how they treated others. It's illegal what they've done. If they performed as poorly as they have in any other realm of the world they would be in jail.

-Do you think Ss'arney has a point about being chosen by the Gods, and those that criticize being heretics?

I think he should be very careful what accusations he makes and how he words and handles those accusations. Cadomyr was the best realm in the region in everything. Now it's the worst in everything. Such a startling societal decline does not happen without reason. One of two conclusions may be drawn from that: 1) Cadomyr is no longer blessed or chosen by the Gods or 2) It's still blessed by the Gods but has been desecrated by their incompetence. Given the harsh punishments for much less, one has to wonder what the punishment is for that?

-Do you think any action should be taken against them?

They are petty and miserable, and I would recommend everyone avoid them to be successful and happy. As for action .. no. Their incompetence has been good for Runewick and Galmair. It's been great for me and my business. We've all done well because of them. May Ssarney and Annabeth live forever.
Special appreciation to the following: Mr. Thibble Thibblebottom, his wife, and his five children for parchment, ink, and writing services. Also special thanks to this issue's 4 contributors/interviewees.
Galmairian Weekly

The Galmairian Weekly
News From the Region, From an Honest Perspective!
Du'rokk Arrives in Galmair

The famous orc Du'rokk, known around the world for his brawling, arrived in Galmair and accepted challengers on the 7th of Ronas in the fields outside of Galmair. Having remained undefeated in all of Gynk, the orc was finally knocked to the ground by an elfess. The orc Juumajin won the day by reportedly defeating the elfess afterwards. It is quite possible that we have not seen the last of this orc as his manager, Haghal Alethane, mentioned returning at a later time for rematches.
Ss'arney Desires Streets of Blood

More citizens have begun to speak out against House of the Sea Worm, this time mysterious parchments were placed around Cadomyr one night. They began as such:
Brothers and sisters I can no remain silent. There is a blight across the land of cadomyr and it is the third house. The house of the sea serpent. A fitting name if you ask me. A serpent is sneaky and dangerous. First a Baron a high council member moves from our walls cause of this blight. And then when an old a noble night speaks his mind and a spirited young women speaks her mind. They are found guilty of a crime before there was a trail.
One thing we can be sure of is that this person will be found guilty of something and be sentenced to death, unless they are able to keep their identity secret for sufficient time. And speaking of death, Ss'arney sentenced another individual to said fate .. an individual whose guilt was not proven and are a member of another realm:
During a visit to the settlement of Galmair Tanora-Priestess Zelphyra had been attacked by the elf named Caswir. This elf is hereby named enemy of the Third House (and therefore may be slain freely on neutral or Cadomyrian ground unless the Chosen one or another House wish to stand in for his actions). Anyone handing the head of this elf to the House of the Sea Serpent will be awarded with a case of one thousand finest diamonds.
It seems the lizard has gotten comfortable demanding the deaths of Galmairians and Cadomyrians alike. Here is a sample compilation of all the individuals he has found guilty of crimes that warranted violence up to and including death:
  • Caswir
    Guy Mitchell
    Juumajin
    Ashley Blackreigns
    Ulquiorra Dreadhart
    Caswir
    Caiah Daekash
    Hew Keenaxe
    Lono
    Valerio Giuliani
    Rowtag
    Drathe Blue
Those are just the ones whose status was readily expressed in writing. There may be more that have been missed. And there are certainly more to come. This lunatic has an unquenchable thirst for blood that will not end until Queen Rosaline Edwards forces a conclusion to this madness.
Note From the Editors:

Dear Loyal Readers,

It has come to our attention that the integrity of this publication has come under attack from an ignoramus in Cadomyr named "Exelous". We would like to reiterate that while we agree with most of the points of our interviewees, they are not speaking for us. And if Mr. Exelous has issue with any of the claims that were made he is free to provide evidence to us that contradicts those claims. Does he deny that Ss'arney assaulted Guy Mitchell? That Annabeth is a whore? If not we will forever take his silence as acceptance of self-evident claims.

He has gone so far as to threaten to make his own publication that is more honest. He should not be so hasty to promise things he cannot deliver. It is impossible for an honest publication to exist in Cadomyr. He must write the official perspective of House Sea Worm like the good minion that he is. If he deviates from their perspective he will risk being beheaded. Either it will be the shortest running publication ever or he will not provide honesty.

We end by reassuring our readers that we will remain the most honest and entertaining news publication in the region.

-The Editors
Anonymous Menace Vandalizes Galmair

An anonymous individual has vandalized the fields outside of Galmair and has left odd notes regarding faith and "Tanoras eternal tide". This is likely some fanatic and anyone who sees anything suspicious should report it to the Chancellors.
We hope the coming week will bring more news and excitement than the previous quiet weeks.

Special appreciation to the following: Mr. Thibble Thibblebottom, his wife, and his five children for parchment, ink, and writing services. Also special thanks to this issue's 2 contributors.
Red_Hood

Post by Red_Hood »

i say kill the lizard man...
Galmairian Weekly

The Galmairian Weekly
News From Around the Region, From an Honest Perspective!
Trouble Makers Receive Swift Sentences

The elf "Caswir" was accused of assault against the Cadomyrian priestess Zelphyrra and was found to be guilty by the Chancellors of Galmair, who acted swifly. The elf had been fairly vocal about his dislike of lizards and has been caught causing trouble in other instances. The following sentence was announced:
Dwarven day in Prison
1,000 stone fee for prison release
3 Dwarven months probation, review after its over for possible extension
35 gold fine paid to the Chancellors or hand ( 30 gold to go to the Priestess, 5 gold to go to Dranis)
Caswir remained defiant after the sentence, refusing to pay the 35 gold coins until he receives a proper opportunity to defend himself and his name. He also accused Dranis of assaulting him multiple times. It has been reported by some that the elf had a chance to defend himself to Chancellor Evie and was inept at doing so.

In an unrelated case the outlaw Kale Drake was found guilty of attempting to burn a citizen and doing damage to the alchemy house, His punishment was:
Dwarven day in Prison
1,000 stone fee for prison release
3 Dwarven month ban from Galmair, review at that time
30 gold fine paid to the chancellors or hand (10 gold for Ispah for loss of potion supplies in the fire, the rest for repairs to the Alchemy house)
It appears that these instances of crime are occurring more frequently and we hope the town will consider measures to stem the lowlives that occasionally walk the streets.
Traveling Abroad: A Case Study

The Galmairian Weekly Presents to you our Excellence in Investigative Journalism!

As we all know the folks who run the teleporter used to charge 10 silver coins per trip. Some months ago this was lowered to just 5 silver per trip, or even free depending on where you go. We have decided to use this issue to bring you an insightful piece of investigative journalism to answer a very basic question: Is there anything worth seeing or doing in Cadomyr for 5 silver coins? We asked our contributors for a volunteer to go to Cadomyr and explore this question. We had a hard time finding volunteers so we picked straws and the shortest straw had to do this for us. We present to you his writings in completely unedited form to you below:

A gust of hot air blew up into my face, followed quickly by coarse sand in my eyes and nose. I had arrived in the Kantabi desert at the walls of Cadomyr. Having paid my five silver I was intent on getting my moneys worth for the trip.

As I reached the gate I saw a single guard there, his face covered. Nearly passing him, he suddenly belted out "get away you vile creature!" I was horrified by this greeting. It turns out he was actually yelling at an insect that was nearby. There are a lot of roaches and insects in Cadomyr. I'm not sure what smells or rubbish attract them but it's unsettling. All in all it wasn't a good start to my trip.

On the walls there were numerous banners for House of the Sea Serpent, and a lot of portraits of Ssarney as well. Not even The Don is so vain. They have a reputation for being religious fanatics. I saw a few of them in the city. I was largely able to avoid them. If they realized I was a Galmairian I feel they would be inclined to harass me (or worse!). It is said the Queen is alive but I did not see her.

Another immediate observation: There was no evidence that any other Noble House(s) exist. There are no other banners or creepy portraits hanging on the walls. While visiting I became aware of a second house, something about a Fox. This House has supposedly existed for years but not a single soul has attached their name to it besides the founder. One is left to wonder what sort of terrible, wretched, small person is involved with it to have scared everyone away. I half wished there was a way to destroy all desert foxes to put them out of their misery for having to symbolize this endeavor.

The city itself is largely lifeless. I left for a period of time into the desert to see what resources it offered. The mines were full of useless stones and far worse than those in the northern mountains. I took my meager spoils to the workshop, receiving scowls from egotistical nobles along the way. Entering the workshop I was accosted by a bearded man telling me that I had to pay some sort of fee to use the smelter. The entire thing seemed rather ridiculous since Runewick and Galmair have similar tools and nicer workshops. Cadomyrians get rich off Galmairian resources and then try to tax us and spit on our name as much as possible.

In conclusion I found this desert city to be as welcoming as Cherga's Realm, as bountiful as a Golem's crotch, and as effective as a Rothman abstinence pledge. Is there anything in Cadomyr worth seeing or doing for 5 silver coins? No. No there isn't. I suffered so that you all don't have to.
Azure Lynch Returns, Spars in Writing With Others

Azure Lynch, former commander of the Galmairian guard, has returned to Galmair after a brief hiatus to Cadomyr. He originally left having not felt respected enough during his term in the guard. Upon his return he informed citizens of Galmair that he returned only to be with his love and that he did not want others to pretend to be nice to him:
This is a wake up call to all. There are a few things I would like to address. I moved back here for someone special. So those that when I left had a problem with me when I would visit do not think we are friends. And for the one that would dare tell my fiance when I was sent to the cross and she asked if I was all right and said who cares he is not galmarian. We are not friends. So don't act like you care now. Cause honestly I don't care about false sentiment. You either like me for me. Not what town I belonged too. So you know don't ask for my help cause I will not give it.

Azure.
Others used this opportunity to criticize Azure for his possible lack of contributions to Galmair and his status as a defector.
A Response

We have received a response to a previous issue from S'rrt of Cadomyr. Our original promise was to publish all such requests without censorship unless in the most extreme of cases. So we will provide this one without edit:
As I happen to know the custom of Galmair that values freedom of personal expression, the following is not a direct response to Fooser's opinion but another point of view with different justifications. Fooser is free to believe what he wants and the people of Galmair are free to choose who to find more believable.

Based on my long time knowing her as a friend and having been there during some, if not most of her troubles, I can say that the Countess and House Noble Annabeth of Cadomyr is not a whore. There are two immediate reasons: I have never known her to take money for sexual services nor have I known her to have ever been with more than one man during her entire time in Cadomyr. She may have been courted by one or two other men, which she has turned down.

Those reasons alone should be enough but since I predict that they're not, it is easier for me to elaborate further in the next paragraph by working off of Fooser's statements. Again, this is not an attempt to change his opinion or engage in a debate but to offer another point of view. The Countess herself may not choose to pay mind to the opinion that there is of her but I take this specific labeling rather seriously.

In my opinion if a person, such as Annabeth, was only known for having been the partner of a citizen who was previously productive, recognized and skilful, such as Tyan, that shouldn't have to make them "a whore". I'm sure no Galmairian would like to be known as a whore for the same reason.
"Thinking she used him" is completely opposite of what I have witnessed to be true. Not only did Tyan cheat on Annabeth once, he used her trust in his innocence to do so again, then ran off with a woman, one out of however many he had available to him. She was loyal and trustworthy of him and it destroyed her for months to come.

If Fooser continues to try and convince people that his definition of Countess Annabeth is correct, I only wish for the readers of my opinion to remember to ask for evidence and justifications for his beliefs. I am hesitant to believe that an otherwise well outspoken and intelligent lizard would jump into what seems, to me, an illogical conclusion.

Friendly regards to readers from all realms,
~~ Knight S'rrt K'shire of Cadomyr
The Queen's ambassador to Galmair,
Ex-Grandmaster of the Crimson Order
Special appreciation to the following: Mr. Thibble Thibblebottom, his wife, and his five children for parchment, ink, and writing services. Also special thanks to this issue's 3 contributors.