Repairing Sahkyr Al'Sindur

All about Galmair and its Guilds. / Alles über Galmair und die Gilden in Galmair.

Moderators: Valerio Guilianni, Gamemasters

themonk

Repairing Sahkyr Al'Sindur

Post by themonk »

* A red lizard pins a diagram parchment on the board with a note attached*
sails%202001[1].jpg
sails%202001[1].jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 4289 times

Knowing of my sailor background the commander Bart has asked for me to oversee the repair of his ship. Starting simple I have decided to replace the damaged mast and sail first. I have made a list of estimated materials to begin preparation.

All volunteers are welcome to participate, im sure the commander and the Don will compensate and appreciate our efforts.

200 Naldor logs ( a few whole trees with braches and leaves removed ) *ticked*
100 Boughs *ticked*
20 rope /
100 white or grey cloth *ticked*
1000 thread *ticked*
100 nails /
50 needles /
20 saws /
10 scissors /

There is some flexibility on quantity as I am sure we can salvage some materials from the damaged mast and sail.

Ideas for a Galmair flag

20 yellow cloth *ticked*
5 white cloth *ticked*
1 black dye *ticked*
1 ink bottle and quill *ticked*

Room must be given at the top for a crows nest installation in the near future.

Materials complete

Brudaar
Last edited by themonk on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Uhuru

Re: Repairing Sahkyr Al'Sindur

Post by Uhuru »

My family will provide the following:
100 white cloth,
1000 thread,
20 yellow cloth,
5 white cloth,
1 black dye
and 100 Boughs

Thanks for getting this going!

~Uhuru~
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

I will supply the ink and quill

Ufedhin.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Thanks Uhuru and family also thanks to Mr Ufedhin. Please give the materials to the commander.

I have supplied the 200 naldor logs and two full bold trees.

List updated.

B
themonk

Post by themonk »

* Brudaar pins up a letter from his bag *

I will offer the 100 Nails, 50 Needles, 10 Saws and 20 Scissors.

Greetings Ranwyln

Thank you Ran, list updated.

B
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

I will donate the 20 ropes as well.
~Uhuru~
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

The mud covered Lizard was walking by when a few of the old forgotten parchments fell down from the boards.
After taking a look at it he mutters some-what angrily about ' lack of enthusiasm when there is no actual gold in question'.
He walks away; but was seen returning after having cleaned himself up with a new parchment; pins it on along with old ones.
Have all forgotten the need for this ship?
Have you forgotten the riches awaiting after this ship be built?
Rally up!! And finish it.
After slight pondering and murmuring to himself he adds another parchment.
To whom so ever it may concern,
If you have the "already-collected-things" for the ship;
Or want to contribute for the things still not collected in the list;
Contact me.
I'm taking charge of this.

~Zzrracck "purple"~
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

...seems I´m to late to spend some things ....

~Jerem
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

Citizens,
If a thing needs to be get done in the right way you should do it yourself.
With that in mind i've been travelling all around the mainland of illarion from the far stretches of Albar to Gynk n then some places (the name of which i would rather not make public) to find the perfect things for our ship Al Sindur.
The things are getting transported as we speak;some have even arrived and currently in storage.

Mast & general repair:
2 of the largest tree trunk for the mast(200 Naldor logs) **arrived**
Planks for minor repair (100 Boughs)**arrived**
mooring and achoring rope (20 rope)**arrived**
100 grey cloth**arrived**
1000 thread

Best smithed items:
100 nails
50 needles
20 saws
10 scissors

Main flag items:
20 yellow cloth**arrived**
5 white cloth**arrived**
1 black dye**arrived**
1 ink bottle and quill**arrived**

Things have been taken care of. The supplies will b handed over from the storagemaster's piles once everything has been delivered to Galmair.
~Zzrracck "purple"~
Storage master
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

A man in finest carpenter style clothes stands at the pier of the Galmarian harbor. “Where is the ship?”
The second man points to a hulk in progress next to the pier of the little mountain harbor.

“That’s no ship!” mocks the carpenter. “That’s not even a boat!”

“Come on Thomasius. I said it will become a challenge. Here is your challenge!” The Galmarian merchant in expensive cloth like armory tips the hulk that swings slowly on the water. ”I’ll show you the reason but we will have a longer dangerous walk.” With his gesture he covers the whole sea but then both walks along the riverside to the Hempty Neckty.

Within the next few hours the shipmasters mind changed from refusal to lively interest. More than once Banduk drives back Monsters to make it possible for the shipmaster to measure water deep and river size.
It is far behind midnight but the light in the Galmarian inn shines. The shipmasters desk is full of parchments with drawings and calculations. Tomorrow he will inspect the material in stock.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

Unknown to either of the landlings a lizard watches perched from the branches of tree near the marshes.
Although he couldnt hear the words over the waves , the mocking smile of the carpenter caught his eyes. Perhaps his mind was occupied by something else, it didnt affect him. Sure enough the reason became apparent, as soon as the two left he whistled in an uncommonly shrill tone of a creature..
Few men clad in dark clothes and masked started moving to the docks with heavy items on their back.
By the cover of the moonless night they started piling up more things into the dockmasters building.
After marking the stock in his ledger and throwing a pouch of coins to the leader of the group, the lizard waited till they left to put up the Parchment on the buildings board.
To one and all,
The Items are all here save a few that was damaged during transportation.
By Ushos everything will be in order.
Galmair welcomes all its carpenters willing to help to take a look at the plans in the library and to make changes if necessary. Though keep in mind the materials in stock for repair are limited when any additions are done.

Zzrracck "purple"
The Storage master.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

”But that’s much too much!” Thomasius the shipmaster looks up from his notes. He hopes the purple lizard smiles but Thoasius never feel very well looking onto 2 rows sharp teeth in a long mouth.

”Here are the …” A canvas is lifted and another point on the shipmasters list can crossed out. Thomasius respectfully nods and thinks ’Yes, the people from that mountain town may not know how to build a ship but the material they collected as well as the storage are excellent. There is no wet wood, no snarled thread or dried out paint anywhere.’

The list of open points becomes shorter and shorter. Finally just some very special items remain. There are some special twisted grown trees need for 2 wants he want to exchange and another mast. The tree here is not bad but not exact what he wants.

”Is there a very long, tall Naldor tree with a slightly curve next to the town? And some twisted trees as well?”
Now he’s sure, the purple lizard shakes his head.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

The trees arriving at the harbor today nobody would call perfect grown. Even a very slim and long naldor shows a slight curve. The others you could call crippled curved or not straight; usually people would use it as fire wood but the eyes of the shipmaster show enthusiasm.

The sound of work fills the air and the hatchet stands still just to turn the work piece. Some hour later attentive watcher can see how the useless wood slowly converts into perfect shaped wants.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

"Who the hell steals ropes?"
Banduk looks into the round but everybody shrugs.
"No ship without ropes." Thomasius folds his arms and lays to a wall of the harbor storage. "You better get new instead of crying due to the loss."

"This is sabotage. Whoever tried to hold away Galmair from the water. We cannot let them as they want. But we will proceed with the work nevertheless. Thomasius?"

After checking his notebook the shipmaster looks to the people:
"There is a mooring and achoring rope we need. We can make it from 12 ordinary ropes. And about 6 more one inch ropes each 7 meters. And a dozen of the usual half inch ropes."
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

Das Ankertau für die Sahkyr Al'Sindur wurde neu hergestellt und liegt im Lager am Hafen. Es ist um eine Säule gewickelt und mit einigen kunstvollen Knoten gesichert. Aufmerksame Beobachter mögen feststellen, dass jemand scheinbar erfolglos versucht hat die Knoten zu lösen.
Die Elfe am Kai berichtet, dass des Nachts ein kleiner Schatten auf zwei Beinen vorbeigehuscht ist.
-------------------------------
Sahkyr Al'Sindur’s rode has been made new recently and is stored in the harbors warehouse. It is wound around a pile and saved by some skillful knots. If you examine the knots closer it seems anybody tried to lose the knots but failed.

The elfess at the pier reports of a little shadow running on two legs last night.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

Waiting for hours for helping hands the shipmaster looks to the nearly ready ship. Not even a weak child or ignorant warrior has been seen.
He removed the broken want but now the hull becomes instable.
He looks to the carcass and his mind starts wandering:
’It will last another few days, but there should be no bad weather meanwhile. If not, nun the ship will sink straight in the harbor. I’d said before, a mountain town shouldn’t build a ship. They have no skill, no idea and don’t care. And if that gold blended Don is going crazy because his toy died, it's no skin off my nose.

With a few hammer hits he stabilizes the hull temporary and walks back to the town. Later you can find the drunken men sleeping on a table close to Hagar.
------------------------------
Nachdem Thomasius einige Stunden auf Helfer gewartet hat, stabilisiert er den Rumpf provisorisch und denkt.
‘Na lange hält das nicht, wenn jetzt schlechtes Wetter kommt ist das Spielzeug von diesem goldverliebten Don direkt im Hafen gesunken. Ich hab schon immer gesagt Bergvölker sollen keine Schiffe haben wollen. Die haben keine Ahnung und keinen Respekt vor der See. Egal, was juckt es mich. Vielleicht wachen sie ja morgen auf.‘

Später kann man den Mann auf einem Tisch liegend in der Taverne schnarchen sehen. Eine Alkoholfahne weht deutlich riechbar über seinem Kopf.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

Als Thomasius am Morgen zurück zum Hafen kommt, stutzt er. Das Schiff dümpelt einige Meter vor dem Steg gehalten von dem Seil, mit dem sie gestern das abtreibende Bot wieder ans Ufer gezogen hatten. Der Übeltäter hat es offensichtlich übersehen, als er die anderen Seile durchgeschnitten hatte. Das Ankerseil kann man am Grund des Sees sehen und später bergen. Es wurde gelöst.

‘Hier ist kein Zufall am Werke, hier will jemand nicht, dass das Schiff ausfährt.‘ denkt er sich, während er den überschaubaren Schaden behebt.
Dann macht er sich daran, die letzten Details zu erledigen. Planken einpassen, Rahen und Segel montieren, das Ruder einrichten, den Ballast justieren. Mit viel Liebe zum Detail stellt er das Schiff fertig, das in seinen Augen doch nur der Spleen eines neureichen Bergvolkes ist. Seine Handwerkerehre würde es ihm verbieten auch nur ausreichende Qualität zu liefern. Selbst wenn er den Sinn des Auftrages anzweifelt. Aber da ist ja auch noch die Möglichkeit das Boot über den engen Bergfluss zum Meer zu transportieren.

Einige Tage später ist das Schiff bereit zur Taufe.
-------------------------------------
Thomasius comes back to the harbor in the morning. He can’t believe but the ship bobs up and down some feet away from the jetty.

An investigation shows the culprit cut the fixing ropes and loses the anchor that could be seen on the ground of the lake. Luckily he had overseen the long line they used yesterday to pull the drifting off boat back to the shore. He is sure it is neither accident nor a joke. Somebody doesn’t want to have Galmair a ship here.

First he fixes the little damage. Then you can watch him finishing all the little remaining issues. He is mounting planks, adjusting the ballast, fixing the sail and much more. Even if he see no sense in a boat for mountain people he never would deliver good quality only. This is a question of honor. And there is the possibility that the boat will pass the mountain river and reach the real see one day.

Some days later the ship is ready to launch.