The Undertaking.

All about Galmair and its Guilds. / Alles über Galmair und die Gilden in Galmair.

Moderators: Valerio Guilianni, Gamemasters

forty

The Undertaking.

Post by forty »

It was an unusual offer. The stocky old dwarf in golden state armour felt extremely generous this day. He was pleased with his new toy. The ruler of Galmair stroked his beard.

"Will you take the position?"

The first thing that went through the newly established watch captain's head immediately went to his lips:

"Don, ya a hard man, I respect ya, an' ye sure wouldn't respect me if I wasn't honest. But look, I am a mercenary. I've killed a lotta people ta earn dis title, an' I gotta be treated as one.
Huntin' folk down, aye, dat I can do, but handlin' tha dead ones...."

He spoke, and immediately realised he had done so too soon, as Don rolled an impressively sized stone in his fingers. The pay was too good to refuse. And there was something else.
That feeling he shared with only three people in Tir Darganfod. The paying of the debt, the redemption. To Her. For the lives he sent before their time was due. The huntsman was never sure if he truly did right or wrong by the Gray Lady. On one hand, if his quarries were not meant to die, they would have prevailed or evaded him. On the other hand, perhaps he was indeed defying her will.

Suddenly, this came as a message. The mercenary, albeit rarely admitting of it, was a faithful follower of Cherga, for his entire life was surrounded by death, and death fed his belly, and it caressed his life. Streams of gold and gems came into his pockets, guided by death. Perhaps this was a chance to pay penance.

These thoughts he spoke outloud. Don smiled.

"Do we have a deal then?"

The sellsword nodded.

And thus the job began.

13th of Findos he had to do his first duty as Galmair's undertaker. It could have been a lot uglier than this. In fact, he was lucky, and thankful that the first ceremony was so easy and dignified. Still, it felt strange. The man was used to forgetting a person exists after putting a sword through their innards. Now he had to care for and work with what remains after the fact. A penance, indeed.

On 13th of Findos, Hargen Roselli, also known as Brog The Rouser was celebrated in his final departure. This stout mighty dwarf, his eyes closed, looked like he sustained a lot of damage in his life, and his body was worn plenty. Listening to the prayers and the stories, Bronn learned that Hargen had been shot through the eye with a crossbow bolt once, but even that didn't kill him. Old Hargen died by drinking himself to death, and eventually, once his liver said 'no' enough times, he collapsed on the table, in the midst of merrimaking. Those feasting in the hall didn't catch on that he was dead for a long time. It was next morning that they found Hargen, an expert warrior, miner, and minter, dead cold.

Because Hargen was of a warrior family, and had served his duty faithfully and honourably, without ever having failed the name, his body, arms folded on his chest, and his sword in his hands, was rested upon an oak made rectangular float of tied together logs, with a bonfire structure constructed over him and treated with coal.

The float was let downstream, just south of the Well of Dreams, where the friends, dwarves and humans alike, said their words. An arrow was lit in a ceremonial brazier, and upon the final consent of the priest, Bronn aimed and fired to pay Hargen his farewell. The arrow struck true, and the floating pyre lit the evening sky, its reflection bright in the rippling waves.

Bronn felt something, somewhere deep, something started tumbling inside his head, as he stood there a few moments looking at the flaming pyre, yet the result of this tumbling could not be properly framed at this point. The feeling was so raw that all he could think of is just feeling it.

He was greatful that his first task on this job was not to dig a half rotten woman into the ground, or to burn a corpse of a plague victim, or deal with a halfway decapitated man, trying to decide which is more dignified, remove the head and put it next to the body, or leave it dangling... Bronn had seen many nasty deaths. He was greatful that this day, it was a peacefully resting dwarf floating away on a burning pyre, to meet his ancestors.

The mercenary slept well this night. The cart felt extra comfortable.
Last edited by forty on Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ufedhin

Re: The Undertaking.

Post by Ufedhin »

A parchment written in bold if somewhat erratic hand is pinned to the board!

It has come te me notice that the mercenary Bronn Ironhelm has been made undertaker of our beloved town,
an' i has be tol' o' his first job.
Far be it fer me te cast doubts on the Dons promotions but fer pitys sake! a mercenary?
How has this mercenary tricked the Don?
This block head has just condemed a dwarfs soul te be fereverlost in the foul watery wastes !
WHO HAS EVER UNTILL THIS DAY HEARD OF A DWARF TE BE BURNED AT SEA FER BURIAL!
as though he was some sort o' northman Barbarian!
Dwarfs arr always interred in stone or failing that stoney earth,this is pure insulting desecration!
I would strongly suggest if the mercenary wishes te continue in his
new roll he familiarise hisself wit propper burial customs!

I would also suggest if he dont want the family o' the Roselli's te wring his neck he arrange
a payment o' gold te set there minds at peace afore they get wind o' this horror.
To the dwarfs wot witnessed this abomination when i find out why ye did na ' stop this i
will hold yer names shamed and demand ye also pay a guilt fee te the Roselli's.

Ufedhin Copperhand.Master alchemist & Physician.
Last edited by Ufedhin on Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
forty

Post by forty »

A reply is pinned in unruly handwriting of poor commoner caligraphy, but written in proper common:

Calm yourself, Ufedhin. It is not I who decides how the dead should depart. I have done as the family bid.
The Rosellis came to us by sea, from the the shores beyond the Khadgar mountains, far in the north of Tir Darganfod, from beyond the wall. They were warriors and seafarers, and their clan came among the first northern pilgrims who ventured to discover the world. They took residence in Galmair, but every warrior who died well and with merit in their family is sent back to the Khadgar shores, to be swallowed by the icy grottos of Kjelt and reunite with their ancestors in their ancient homeland mountains. The flame would light his path home, until the cold extinguishes it. It is their right to have this belief and I dare not defile it with any philosophy, as none is needed here. I do not insult their tradition nor dictate how they wish to see their dead go. That is not the job. Be rest assured, that when you die your final death, I will do with your remains according to your wishes, and no old alchemist will persuade me to do otherwise with threats. I am hired, and I do the work I'm bid.
Bronn.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

A new parchment written in a bold erratic hand is pinned to the board.

The Rosellies a clan o' seafarers huh? how quaint and wonderful ,i cant wait te meet 'em! along wit " the batwinged golem men of the far
reaches",we could all go down te the sea tegether an' have a pint o' great troll beer an a sing song.

Wos na threats in me writting lad so dont grasp at straws ,twas warnings o' wot ye could expect if ye woz dealing wit proper dwarfs.
Ye other scriblings be of no worth fer a comment.

Ufedhin.Master alchemist & Physician.
forty

Post by forty »

23rd of Findos, year 39.

This one was usual for Bronn. Barek Mudboot was slain in a skirmish, which resulted in an argument with his cousin. A duel was accepted, and the family did not get involved. The merc did not know the details, but Barek's family made the wishes clear. A traditional burial in the cemetary. A stone sarcophagus, a stone mask, prepared by the family as well. Barek wished to be buried with an axe of stone, adorned with three obsidian gemstones, and clad in a granite armour. As tradition had it, Barek's gold was removed off his person and kept with his relatives: wife and niece. For, gold was the metal of life, and one could not take it with them beyond. Barek had no children, and his wife was sad to see him go. She spoke a lengthy prayer to Irmorom, and by the end of the ceremony, the mercenary just wished to be back in the sun. The coffin was lowered in the ground, into a stone bay, and the lid of the tomb was closed. Hopefully, forever. Undead are not a pretty sight.
forty

Post by forty »

11th of Naras, year 39.

Renton Finn, a human fur trader, passed away on the road. He was found breathless without any traces of violence, just out of town. The man had no immediate family, but his apprentice Rufus mentioned that Renton spoke of death once, and should he be slain or pass otherwise, he wished his remains burned, placed in an urn, and buried outside the walls of Galmair, but still close to town, to commemorate his love of the wilderness, but state his relation to home town.
The undertaker did not question the will of the dead, and found a secluded spot for Renton to rest just outside of town.
forty

Post by forty »

19th of Elos, year 40.

Ubric Flatfoot, a halfling citisen, had drowned in a river near town due to fishing slightly more drunk than usual. A massive powerful salmon proved stronger than him, but he did not wish to let go of his quarry. According to the official version, he was dragged underwater, and held on for his dear life, until the salmon ran him into a rock, forcing him to lose conscience underwater.
Ubric's body floated up the day after, coloured pale, his face blue, and his hands tense in a rigor mortis, fists clenched. Bronn noted Ubric's last face expression. It was - determination.

According to the family's wishes, Ubric Flatfoot was buried in a grove by the river next to a tall weeping willow, overhanging the water. The ceremony was held by the family and there was much merrimaking afterwards, to commemorate Ubric's life accomplishments, but Bronn did not attend it.
forty

Post by forty »

11th of Zhas, year 40.

To the shock of his entire family, a dwarven gambler Ashkat Grotaxe hung himself at his flat. It was rumoured that he was a follower of Ronagan and Nargun, and many stories were spreading about him. Ashkat's family, however, spoke the true story as they knew it. Ashkat, when he was alive, sometimes resorted to loaning money and thievery in the past, when he was down on luck. After having been caught, judged, and punished for stealing money, he decided to straighten his behavior and resort only to loaning money from more wealthy citisens. Perhaps, someone called in a loan that could not be paid, or perhaps something else drew the gambler to leave his wife and seven children? The undertaker did not ask.
A pair of dice were carved of stone, and Ashkat Grotaxe was no more, but a name on a cold stone slab. Not having been a noble not a warrior, nor a respected citisen, an armoured cast was not made for him. But a stone sarcophagus, with symbols of Chaos and Shadow.
forty

Post by forty »

12 of Zhas, year 40.

An orc was found dead beneath the shadow of the city's east wall. The orc was thin and appeared to be malnourished. No open wounds were inflicted to his body, with the exception of a big bruise on the forehead, which was determined to have caused the orc's death. The notary recognised the dead one as "Sarm", who appeared to be a feral outlaw. Bronn gave the orc a small and individual funeral. Nobody attended. His body was burned, and the bones and ashes lowered into a pit in the ground. A small stone with a word "Sarm" on it was placed on top.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

11 Bras, year 40.

The body of Simeon that was laying in the dark ally under the Guard house has been bundled up and taken away down into the
beggers catacomb.

The undertaker.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Its has recently be brought te my notice that a plague might be a brewing, i would like te reassure all that i will do my best if this is the case .
If my advanced Physic's do not prevail then my low cost, cheap burials for 45 silvers each should be taken advantage of .

Ufedhin Copperhand ,undertaker .Caring for the comunity
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Of late a dwarf hooded and robed in black followed by a group of ragged towns folk pulling a cart can be seen collecting the dead from the various battle fields around Galmair.
The various partly decomposed bodies are mounded up, covered with logs and burnt .The Hooded dwarf can be seen to be chanting out loud from a
ancient looking tome while sprinkeling a powder that burns with a dark purple flame into the funeral fires.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (26.74 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

The black robed dwarf can be seen to limp slightly as he goes about his work directing villeins to gather and burn the countless dead.
No time for rituals or customs to be observed,the hard fought battle has left mounds of corpses to be disposed of .
Galmair victorious ,due mainly in part to a few that held the massed army of the pirate Flynn at bay all day untill the arrival late that night
of the Armed forces of Galmair and other towns .

The dwarf takes a drink of strong spirits while pausing to let the villeins rest and reflects on the day long battle."how can he afford the mercenarys!
hundreds perished this day and for wot? we shall never pay his ridiculous ransom,an' the fool must ha' spent thousands o' gold on his armies."
The bottle is placed back in belt bag next to a heavy runed hammer on his belt ,the gems catch the light briefly and fires dance over the hammers massive head before the cloak is drawn over it hiding its power.
Attachments
Battle of Galmair.jpg
Battle of Galmair.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Tossing the villeins a handful of silver at the end of the day the black robed dwarf hefts a large sack of spoils from the pirate mercenarys, rings ,necklaces , coins and surveys the surounding area.
Apart from the odd body parts here and there left for the crows and dogs and a lots of blood splatters the area around Galmair was mostly free of corpses, the huge funeral fires still burned sending clouds of black greasy smoke into the air. The dwarf turns with a mutter "the crops and grass will grow well around Galmair for a long time".
Sending the villeins back to their hovels the dwarf trudges back through the gates of Galamir whistling a jaunty tune.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Ufedhin dressed in his dark robes and with his lowly villeins can be seen hauling a cart around town collecting the bones from the destroyed undead.

The bones are neatly stacked and the skulls piled up on the cart. Ufedhin chuckles and says to the broken skulls "my how ye has set the little birds singing pretty tunes,but thats all they arr pretty tunes and singing birds attract snakes ".

The bones are taken out side the town walls to a prepared fire and burnt to ashes .

Ufedhin ponders over the ashes then says "well lets not waste these ashes i shall use them te distill out the essence of the secret fire "
Yells orders and cuffs the odd villein into action .
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

I Ufedhin entombed the dwarf Belegretor Sapphiridge today in the small cave above the tunnel entrance . The chancellor Purple and the elf Ally Demelli assisted in this much to my benifit an' attended the entombment, the dwarf Groktan assisting with costs wos also appreciated.
Iromoroms blessing an attendance wos evident and it would seem the father was pleased with the ceremony.

May Belegretors body become one with the mountain and his spirit guard the great tunnel.

What follows is a phrase in dwarvish.

What is stone turns to dust ,what is iron turns to rust ,all goes back to the mountain at the feet of the maker.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

It was a strange procession.
The silent lizard lead the way while a human carrying a wrapped human-sized bundle followed him in somewhat agitated manner. A dwarf could be seen closely following bringing up the rear.
Anyone awake at the wee hours of the night could hear the Dwarf and the human arguing all the way from the farmlands to the herb house.

A note seemed to left pinned on the corpse bundle which was left in the corner of the herb house.
Master Copperhand,
I've embalmed the body with oil for preservation and covered it with cloth and leather. The Brother of the deceased has asked for the body to kept preserved to be later taken home or done with as decided by the head of the family.
I've done what i could to preserve it for a short while, In the meantime you might want to take whatever measures to preserve it for longer periods.
Be advised this is the corpse of the guard who was part of a foreign delegation to Cadomyr

~Zzrracck "Purple"~
A similar handwritten parchment was left at the Proctor's table.
To whom-so-ever it may concern,
A death has occured in the Farmlands.
The deceased is Rostam Arash, The guard to a delegation from Albar to Cadomyr.
From the scene it seems to have been a death by violent combat.
Question Kia Arash(the brother of the deceased) and Vern Burnhammer(Cadomyr) for further details.

-Concerned citizen
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

If one was able to watch the proccedings one would notice the old dwarf drag the corpse while muttering about the needs of a" good slave to help etc etc"...into his work room ,after placing the body on the slab he begins his work.
Complaining all the time about no coin forth coming again no doubt, Ufedhin wastes no precious ungents or resins or preforms any complex preservation techniques.
After removing the clothing ,washing and sewing the body back together with cheap hemp twine he then dresses it in a simple grey robe and ties the body with rope into an almost a fetal position. With much effort and straining he forces the body into a large clay urn so it's in a seated position with its knees drawn up under its chin and the arms wrapped around the shins.
Pouring in a large amount of cheap vinegar untill it fills the urn over the corpses head he stops then places a wooded lid on the urn and seals it with beeswax.
Taking a length of strong twine he ties this around one of the urns handles and clamps a copper tag marked with the bodies name to the twine .
Puffing and grunting with effort he drags the urn into an out of the way area in the herb house...."need a bloody morgue an' me catacombs he mutters as he wipes his hands on the front of his robe and pulls a sausage from his pocket for a snack.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

A dark armored and crimson cloaked dwarf is seen quickly putting up a note along with the trademaster's.

I had overseen Honorable mortal combat between these two brothers. Apparently fer tha honor of their household. Kia Arash has walked away tha victor.. taking his brother's possessions and leaving. They knew wot they were doing, by tha Honor of Malachin I dared not interfere. May Rostam Arash feast in Malachin's halls by night an fight tha hordes by day.

Vern Burnhammer, Knight of her majesty.