Rebuttal to the Dragon's Call-No. 31

All about Runewick and its Guilds. / Alles über Runewick und die Gilden in Runewick.

Moderators: Elvaine Morgan, Gamemasters

Uhuru

Rebuttal to the Dragon's Call-No. 31

Post by Uhuru »

On the 16th of Tanos, The Dragon's Call printed the following:
CONSULTATION DAY IN ELOS
At the beginning of the year, Runewick held a consultation day again. Mas was worked up and a discussion came up if the name of the "unspoken one" could be said in public.

Supported by the majority of citizens, however, the Archmage made clear that this can not be tolerated. The name of the "unspoken one" should not be said in Runewick.
I would just like to make some points of clarification from what I recall of the meeting as heard by me.

1: The Archmage explained why it was important and asked us if we would refrain from using the name and we agreed to his request. He did not forbid it or say it would not be tolerated. There in no way was any use of force or coercion as the paper seems to denote.
2: The paper fails to mention that the Bearers have been asked to teach others of the need to refrain from using the name instead of demanding that it not be used and trying to use force. Understanding why it shouldn't be used will help everyone in learning the importance placed on this and will help us all live peacefully.

Citizens of Runewick, and especially those of you who also attended the meeting, if I have missed something regarding this topic, or if there is anything you wish to add, please feel free to do so.

Also, if someone would like to write up a nice detailed description of why this name should not be used and attach it to the bottom of my note, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
~Uhuru~
Velisai

Re: Rebuttal to the Dragon's Call-No. 31

Post by Velisai »

From personal experience, it is known to me that some of the very powerful beings, to which any god certainly counts, can hear their name spoken even over great distances. It is also reasonable to assume that even a whisper on the wind might draw such a being's attention. In the case of the rightly feared, so called "unspoken one", such attention is not something most people would desire. Therefore, speaking his name, meaning risking misfortune for one self and possibly those nearby, however small the risk, should not be done. It is actually for that reason, that he is known under so many different titles such as blood god, bone lord and countless others.

As simple as this argument is, it is not obvious to those who have not heard it before for whatever reasons. In a town which places so much value on knowledge and understanding, I would find it only fitting to educate instead of dictate. Obedience to a law, the cause for which is well known and understood is almost certain, while a law for which the subject of it sees no good reason will almost certainly be broken, resulting in punishment, grief and strife that could have easily been avoided.

Velisai
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

The matter was already explained to you on the meeting by the archmage and the common people. If you have further questions you may ask the Inquisition.

Furthermore you over-interpret the written words of the Dragons call, not to tolerate something means to act if it happens - but not to use force. We as citizens of Runewick know more ways to act instead force.

Furthermore the Inquisition teach people about the evil. Example given i hold a lesson about the danger of blood magic and a book about demonic beeings is just in translation. If we have the impression that in Runewick is a common lack of knowledge about the power of names and the unspoken one we will also hold class about this topic. Anyway a single person with question and doubts is no common lack of knowledge and may ask her questions to the Inquisition in person and not call out for public lesson.

~Djironnyma,
for the Bearers of the Fire
and as Inquisitor of Runewick
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

The note has been ripped off
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Thank you Velisai, that was very well written.

One thing that did come up in the meeting, is that not everyone has the same luxury in terms of their education. We all have different backgrounds and come from different families and upbringing. I learned last night that one of our citizens was raised in an orphanage. Most of you know that I, myself, scrounged for meals to survive on the streets, homeless and learned what I could from whatever books given to me by Evie. We don't all just know automatically the same things as the next person. Please remember this and have some tolerance.

All I ask is that we work together in an atmosphere of cooperation and understanding. Not just in this one thing, but in our day-to-day lives. Together, we are strong and unstoppable.

~Uhuru~