Arcane Research and other things ((CLOSED))

All about Runewick and its Guilds. / Alles über Runewick und die Gilden in Runewick.

Moderators: Elvaine Morgan, Gamemasters

Kyre

Re: Arcane Research and other things

Post by Kyre »

She was exhausted never having worked so hard and never even thinking she could accomplish what the results were. Really wishing there were more mages in town to ask for help, the witch mumbles as she pulls back the covers and crawls in bed

Should have asked Caswir for help... shows even a witch isn't the smartest. In fact it should have been me, Caswir, Evie and Raina. I can't believe I did it myself but it is done....

Kyre's words trail off as her dark eyes close in a dream-filled sleep of heads cut off various bodies, some including herself. Moaning slightly until Smith turns over throwing an arm over her before she finally can drift to a more peaceful sleep.

Proud of her accomplishment, having trouble even waiting to display her work early the next morning Kyre hurried to the market to buy breakfast and quickly helped the children dress waving as they left with Nanny. Before he left to the Crest, the witch pulled it from her bag and held it up in the light by a few of the long ebony strands of hair. Kyre immediately was dismayed as he turned white as a parchment.

Smith.. it is magic, don't worry!

As the color seeps back in his face, and they talk of the use, he grimaces placing the apparent head in his bag.

The man visiting Galmair a few days later mentions illusion as part of a blood witches magic and Kyre grins....

I have found new uses for the blood and illusions

The witch eventually sighs and wonders what use can be made of it now that it is no longer needed.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

This time, in order to keep her research secret, the witch slowly opens the door as the moons shine bright on the landscape. All appeared unnaturally quiet, possibly waiting for the chaos that Mas brings. Kyre grimaces a the door squeaks contemplating briefly if the sound was simply a laugh of Nargun berating her for living in a house versus the trees as before. Standing still, barely daring to breath, Kyre waits for any noise indicating she has woken up the house.. yet nothing. The project she is doing now is so important to her, but frowned upon by anyone knowing what it is hence her attempt to keep it very quiet. Of course it is possible the spell simply can't be done.... yet the decision is made after years of contemplation, she must try.

All the books and scrolls she could find and read were in her journal meticulously listed. For once her writing was very neat. Some she couldn't interpret but hoped to find others to help reference. The stack of books carried now were found hidden behind the desk to keep the children from blithely adding drawings to some of the parchments. Image.

One of several oil lamps were lit at the mage house as if someone had been there recently, yet the building now was empty. Kyre peruses each scroll, manuscript and book working from top to bottom making small scribbles in her journal of items she wished to return to. The witch wanted to be careful of what she put even in the journal however, just in case someone looked at it.Image so used a mixture of old elven and ancient.

The writing occasionally was so blurred she decided to set one or two aside to look at later with the sun's bright light. It was those she felt may have the best answer. After all, this hadn't been done before. The burning question was...can it be done and would Nargun allow? Image

In her element as a mage and witch, Kyre studies through the night until the first call of the morning birds, the first rays of the sun and the first miners pass on their way to get supplies for the day's work. She hid her books in a lower drawer and journal in a bookcase, just as the lamp light flickered warning of almost empty oil. Rubbing her red eyes, the witch makes her way home after stopping at the market for breakfast from a cook grateful for the early customer.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Staring at her hasty scribbles in the journal the next night, then gazing out the window, the witch ponders should she? The double moons shine back an angry light this time of year building up for the nights of Mas coming soon. Drawing the runes needed for her ritual before tucking the journal in her bag, Kyre then pens the list on a stray piece of parchment.
One pure soul, the heart of an innocent, a banana, four gems for the four corners, blood from one of old.

Frowning at what was written, she then adds to the shapes of what is needed, again copying what is written in the books muttering softly "So hard to see the blurred lines!"

Tucking that also in the bag, the witch finally stands and stretches before putting out oil lamps and stoking the fire for the next traveler entering, then leaves making sure the doors are closed to keep the heat in. Anyone awake in the middle of the night might see her run toward the gate and the house, dropping something off hidden in the bushes before entering. The next day people may see her in the workshop carving a staff taking an inordinate amount of time on just one yet unwilling to show the results simply shrugging..

"Just a little experiment"

A gruesome sight may be seen near the mine entrance outside Galmair if anyone happens to go that way anymore. A dead rabbit with singed fur and its heart cut out.
Kyre

Time for a Change

Post by Kyre »

Sighing deeply the Witch, as usual alone in the house with the children, bites her lip hard in consternation having spoken to a halfling, two dwarves and even an orc giving them all coins for their information. With little left in her bag she opens the door giving each child a quick kiss and hug, tells the nanny to get some coins from him, then leaves with barely any possessions except a couple of books and a journal along with bow and wand.

Her first errand was to inform the town of her new status and wish them all the best. It will be a weight off her shoulders to drop the mantle of Chancellor though it has been good to help quite a few. The next trip was to the depot at the Inn to get her supplies and yes, the staff. She never thought she would use it but had worked laboriously on adding each and every painstaking rune with ancient words and prayers to Nargun to impress what was needed. One may wonder, glancing at it briefly if it is possible the runes move.. yet then again..decide that is impossible. Having stored it months ago in the fervent hope it wasn't needed, hopefully informing herself she should throw it away yet unable to, suddenly realized Nargun was telling her something as he had when she escaped the cave.

Pulling off the gift of her raven necklace and placing it deeply in the depot, not sure if she would ever wish to wear it again, Kyre turns with a slight tear in her dark brown, almost black eyes to see Caswir standing watching her. Using her robe to wipe the evidence of sadness from her face, she nods to him and after they exchange greetings gets up the nerve to ask for help in accompanying her to the place that was needed to perform the ritual. Raban, her ultimate goal...where it all started.

Where it started needs to be where it will end.
Kyre

Time for a Change

Post by Kyre »

The ritual wasn't as long as the first done years ago that took all day, but was still very long filled with ancient language and old elven words. Caswir had elected to stay for the time being and quietly watched. The Witch looked up at the darkened sky wondering distractedly if she could see both moons before her eyes settled on the staff hoping for a sign. Raban was mainly disinterested in the proceedings though ignored the first one also.

More of a sacrifice, was that what you wish?

Nargun was so unclear in his instructions.. she had hoped anything but a cave and wasn't sure that is what was needed. After more concentration with extended effort, Kyre felt there was an answer after the sound of wings were heard. Yes, that was it, Nargun wished a soul. Laying the staff in her belt, she walked to Caswir still patiently waiting.

It may be time for you to go though your company was very welcome.

With an answer of...
Take Care
Kyre was alone with Raban though it was tempting to follow in the wake of the portal.

The Witch took a deep breath, settled her shaking hands, giving a brief wave to Raban and left his cove at the start of dawn with eyes facing north. Stopping finally to welcome the Shadow, the Queen and a few others that suddenly appeared to surround her. Kyre made a bold attempt to ignore the increasing pain until finally there was no more. Whispering the ritual, not sure if Cherga would kick her out, she wonders...

Is this enough to break a bond Nargun?
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Missing the children after her long trip to the Lor Angur school she had planned to teach blood magic, the witch sighs frowning ignoring any other feelings temporarily while firmly deciding to concentrate on immediate work and not delve into things missed. The Headmaster wanted her to teach soon so she spent hours and days in the library making sure her knowledge was current. One book of runes however caught her attention more then any other and Kyre tried to interpret the meaning.

Was this some message? What were other letters, maybe they would help?

The witch would go to sleep in the flickering candle of the library similar to her study desk at home... her eyes tired but mind alive with images unbidden.

Gasping, then staring at the runes wondering if they did indeed make sense or maybe she was dreaming.... was that doubt she was feeling? Were her choices wrong? Beginning to now pace the library, not disturbing anyone due to the lateness of the hour, Kyre bit her lip then began to mumble..

Are you telling me something Nargun? Did I not interpret what you said correctly?

Turning as every single candle in the library suddenly flickered out at once and a black feather landed at her feet, Kyre scribbled a quick parchment to the Headmaster, left it with the librarian and packed throwing clothes, books and journal in her bag before attempting to catch the nearest ship.

I need to find out.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

With days of research at the mage house.. only occasionally visiting the children while trying to avoid being seen. The witch finally stands on the roof and leans over the balustrade having made her decision and removed any doubt.

You were right Nargun, and I'm glad the ritual worked. Freedom can have a different but good feeling.

Throwing the necklace with a raven dangling from it over the side of the building, watching it eventually float down the river before sinking, Kyre appears extremely saddened as a few tears follow. How things could go so wrong when they were so good for a long time was beyond her comprehension.

Dark eyes gazing further upstream, wondering what the future will bring, she contemplates the possibility of the teaching position in Lor Angur, yet hesitates with thoughts of the children. Having no idea the path Nargun will bring, the witch fervently hopes the memories will eventually wash down the river along with her grief flowing for things that are no more. Falling back on her elven heritage, Kyre wishes simply for contentment.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Having returned from Lor Angur for a visit, the witch and Oxiana meet accidentally and begin to talk. Later, In the dead of night with both moons risen, she gives plenty of hugs to the children before tucking them in bed. Glancing again at her still packed bag, unsure whether to leave or stay, Kyre foregoes the empty bed to begin writing in her journal at the table using the flickering light of one candle.

Nargun, it apparently wasn't the intent at all which brings the question, why should the ritual make that big of a difference ...was there nothing there but the bond in the end?

A long mark is placed on the parchment where her hand slides down, then a great glob of ink is seen at the edge as she appears to finally fall asleep. After a long time, The flickering flames burn down and the hot wax drips on the journal burning most of the blank pages left, managing to be halted by the red ink on other pages. As far as where the witch is... no one knows.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

The Witch's eyes, almost as dark as her black hair, finally open to the sound of a ravens call. Kyre feels no pain, only relief, only comfort as she turns over in a soft bed before the temptation to fall back to sleep almost overwhelms her again as has happened multiple times. The much louder call of the raven now insistent has her finally sitting on the side of the bed shivering in the cold damp air of a cave.

A vague memory of many years past and a dead zone intrudes on her confusion... was she still there and had been dreaming? No, a distinct memory of being removed with the help of a raven came to her then the fear of caves due to her incarceration as a small girl. This time all had changed but the growling ache of her stomach. The once beautiful mage robe and skirt were now in tatters and falling off her thin body as she attempts to stand on weak long elven legs. Running her metal hand along the damp stone wall to assist her passage out, the witch realized some memories were lost however the ones that stayed were almost a ghost of promises made and broken yet Nargun was always near. Typical of the witch deciding to not ponder the lost, she was thankful her extensive knowledge of runes, spells and hexes were intact. A hoarse voice was heard...

A blood witch

Was that her? However the sudden gasp was not due to that, but the feeling of something missing, an unusual weakness in the core of her being. Did Nargun take a payment? Acknowledging her predicament she resigns herself to the truth. Making it to the entrance, the Witch looks up at the two moons shining toward her and straightening her thin shoulders realizes she would need to rebuild her past strength but eventually could. Before beginning, she ponders what will be there for her future.

A few days, weeks later the journal was acquired from a hidden place in Galmair and moved to another hidden place by the Witch.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

The witch goes to the Hemp Necktie unable to give many coins but offers an apple to each before finding her journal in the secret hiding place and spends time writing carefully on the next page. Shaking her head she sighs looking at the rune and mumbles

I hope it works

Kyre allows her words to burn their usual color before closing the journal and hiding it again.

Three years the sole Chancellor and 400 gold. Probably 50 gold owed the Don so will let him decide whether to prevent the witch from visiting her children or not. As least I saw the girls once and was happy to hear their wish to learn a few hexes like their Mama. They seem to be turning out to be very strong witches as I thought.

Yes, I have my memory back and almost wish I didn't, the pain the return has caused. Deanna has been nothing but welcoming, Aswe is helping me with my dreams of a monster but mainly Caswir. I don't know what I would have done without his support. Since this is my experiment journal I will add those I am trying to reuse in my arrows.. having lost all including my stamina when I begged Nargun to help me the last time.

This is what I'll try for now.. Nargun give me and those I care for...protection.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Kyre runs to the Inn and unearths her journal then places the rune for protection again on the parchment.

Nargun is that what you meant? How was I suppose to know ?

I belong in Runewick now...

PS. And more lessons for the girls soon!

More runes are drawn as if experimenting.

(( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42397 ))
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

A brief summary is written down on a parchment to be added to the journal after Mas,

I may have hit on another magical rune though Caswir thinks my brain just froze saying if no dragon then perhaps I was simply frightened. Two people disappeared after playing with the dice lightning.. I had just pointed out to Deanna and Orren that I was still there when two came from the teleporter. One I knew yelling "Where is she?" and the other with blue armor. I told Caswir that one looked like a monster and I didn't know what to do when suddenly I also disappeared and only woke up hours later. The question is, if no magic as Caswir believes, did I disappear really... or just freeze at the monster? If a monster arrived exactly as we stood there, and I froze... did one of the two I was with arrange it?

I'll research this more after Mas and if possible attempt to find a rune, or maybe Caswir can help me find out why I froze?

Many runes are drawn in an attempt to hunt down one...
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

The witch adds her latest parchment to the journal then gazes around frowning muttering...

Where is a safe place to put you

Finding what she considers the perfect place, Kyre sits on a smooth rock near after brushing off a few pebbles, then produces ink from her bag before opening to the empty page. The writing is neat and carefully penned as she pauses frequently to contemplate words and drawings.

Nargun, you showed me the way and even though you took your reward, you made me happy. I swore never to bond again and went against my promise to myself yet also know this is right and good for each. We learned things we didn't know and now there is contentment and sharing in the knowledge gained. I am keeping only a hint in this journal...simply death and rebirth.

Another rune is only partially drawn..

The bonding ceremony with Caswir was short but we both used our powers to make sure the blood bond could only be negated with mutual agreement and our tie will be solely to each other.

Sealing the journal with a drop of her blood on the old leather raised adornment embellishing the cover, it is subsequently safely hidden until needed again.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

An old mage ritual that I had forgotten was accomplished before I arrived in town. Yes it is true that mages change the typical rules.

A few runes are hastily scribbled

I may not be allowed to bring my girls here to visit yet that doesn't stop me from talking to them. It took most of the night but I finally accomplished the ritual. I am not sure if they dreamed or were awake but the talk was very satisfying and I was able to show them my love. I also made an attempt to convey a hug to both Teilra and Branwen promising to see them soon and give them the gifts I had for both. I could feel their smiles and giggles being able to finally talk to their mama.

I'll sleep and be happy I am a mage and witch in charge of my life.. thanks to Orren's reminder.

The witch brings her journal back to Runewick with her and finds a safe place in town to hide it. She then seems to have disappeared. No one knows why except maybe Caswir.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

A spare parchment is used in an attempt to eventually add to her journal back in Runewick:

I am learning a lot of runes here in Lor Angur.. maybe I can use, however some not immediately. As the first thing a mage is taught..

You never stop learning.

I hope all are well and miss everyone. When I was left for another woman by the Hand, and begged Nargun to take me being very hurt.. it was actually the best thing that could have happened. I was sure the children would be well taken care of.. however when I eventually returned having to build my memory and strength back I would have never thought any visits would be withheld under conditions. My fault actually for not planning ahead, for being too much an emotional witch.

My dreams here have been about all I know and the witchlets.. my daughters, Teilra and Branwen. Hopefully they are doing exactly what Mama taught them on the trips back from Runewick school the nanny took them to frequently. I'd meet them outside the gate, the Don telling me not to go in town due to threats at the time of "burning the witch"... and we'd have a picnic occasionally before going home to Galmair. At the time.. having a history of my village burning and more recent threats from the Bearers, I would remind and warn them frequently..

Be polite my babies, smile warmly like the humans and don't let anyone ever guess you are witch by your actions.

Hopefully one day I can see them again, for sure when they are older. I do miss them very much and am sure they will follow my advise, at least for now, they can be good actresses.

I hope my bond mate, Caswir who has made me extremely happy, is enjoying his glyphs and I'll send a dove letting him know I'll be back in a short time... just a few weeks. I hope Orren is enjoying his excellent skills in outwitting everyone, and I regret not telling Deanna of my abrupt departure, she had a plan and hope she continues with it. Aswe, my friend, the green haired elfess will surely find out all information from Caswir.

Many runes newly learned are scribbled on the parchment as if practicing.

Writing long into the night, Kyre's candle lit in the library finally flickers out and being very tired, her head lays down slowly while falling asleep at the table.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

An elfess dressed all in black carrying a small bag stands at the harbor frowning at the ship master.

You mean there is no ship for another dwarfen week?

Ultimately, she pays fare to hold a cabin, then searches for the nearest library. Hoping the time passes quickly, Kyre murmurs while studying an old bleached parchment comparing it to a book open near.

Planning? Preparing? Fortify?
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

A quick hurried scribble is placed on the side of a parchment with other writing..

Nargun.. you allowed a witch's brew? Help me find an antidote quickly!

More runes and hexes are scribbled as the witch works frantically.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

The old man suddenly appeared by the fire. His warm smile showed barely any teeth, his clothes in rags showing arms as thin as bones with loose, wrinkled skin barely holding them together.There was a cane near him on the log yet it was unclear if he could even walk. Kyre stopped in surprise, never seeing someone that old and feeble before yet the man's rheumy eyes looked at her while he whispered.

Witch.

Shocked he could even see her much less knew who she was, Kyre was temporarily speechless. Before she could answer, the man grabbed a stick, cleared the dirt in front of him and began to draw. After awhile, it became obvious what he drew was a rune, a very complicated one. When he accomplished the last stroke, the man pointed to her wand hanging from the belt of her robe then the rune.

I should put that rune on my wand Old Man?

At his nod, the witch studied every stroke carefully, her eyes flickering in the dark night at the fire flame for quite a few minutes before she left for the workshop. The rest of the night was spent removing a couple of runes on her wand...

Hmmm, doubt I need protection, and can remove this one I'm not sure of.

Then adding the rune the old man drew making sure each stroke was exact. As dawn approached, Kyre went to see if the man was still there and smiled seeing him, reaching for the beautiful wand with his rune engraved. The old man suddenly stood up with shaky legs barely able to support his body even with the cane. He said two words..

Thank you.

The wand then pulled up on it's own and using her mana pushed more magic power then she had ever been able to into the heart of the man. He fell smiling while the witch shouted...

NO!

Kyre looked over the area he had sat, then ran to the cross hoping to see the man there. She stayed for hours, days just staring then finally saw one thing. A small parchment with a drop of blood on it. The witch ran home to tell her story only to find out she was the only one that saw the parchment.

Was it even real? Was it her imagination? Perhaps the gifts Caswir gave didn't have the power she thought. Perhaps the unusual loaf of bread was just that... an old loaf of bread with none of the power of bringing the truth to one? Perhaps the meat had no power either... all imagination or her dreams? Cuddled up at night with his arms around her, she couldn't sleep wondering how much was true and how much wasn't. Staring at her now ugly wand with every rune destroyed purposefully by her, no longer beautiful, she vowed the next wand Caswir promised he would make would have no runes on it.. just in case.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

The last parchment was handwritten not using any runes or magic. The witch took many nights at the bar when all asleep to write and hid them all during the day. Finally ready, now knowing how many she had done, the parchments were allowed to flow on a nightly wind hopefully aimed toward the town her daughters were kept...

Teilra and Branwen Loves..

I am hoping you both aren't being held in a prison type situation and if not will get this message from your Mama. I would see you more but am prevented the contact. Finn, your brother, will be visiting soon and I'm sure can tell you all about his visit.

Just to let you know I love you both..

Kyre

She could only hope they would get at least one, maybe two and know their Mama thinks of them, Loves them and wishes to see them. Once Kyre returned home she went to the merchants and bought more pen along with parchment already planning to start on another message. Her hand ached some but it was all worth it if her daughters could even read one. Perhaps Finn could bring one to them after his visit. In hopes of that, the witch saved a few.

On the same page, the witch drew a rune hoping some luck would help her in her task then whispered...

Nargun, a little help would be appreciated.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Just a reminder this is a private journal of the character Kyre which means your character is unable to see it unless the journal is given to you. The thread is simply locked to prevent any gaffs since it is fairly old.. but look at the posting on the first one. :wink:

In the middle of the night, she sat next to the bar at the Red unable to sleep. Her thoughts churning in her head as she mumbled...

Maybe if I write a message to Nargun?

Grabbing pen and paper, Kyre begins to write without even thinking much.. just pouring out her grief and concern.

Nargun,

The message I sent didn't work well.. Not being guardian of my own children I wasn't aware they were on a trip and the letter sent to Finn is probably still at his school unread.

I'll get more parchments and make more, give me the strength to continue. Apparently some would be happy to simply visit their own children with permission...not even knowing if they were on a trip or what else is going on in their lives. I'm not that kind of Mama. Caswir and I were in town a few times and never saw a sign of them sadly.

I love my children and wish not just to be allowed a "visit" but to have a say in their day to day lives. Particularly the witchlets will need help when they are older. I may have to wait until then when they can decide on their own to come but am hoping to at least let them know they aren't abandoned.

Nargun give me the strength, particular in my hand to write more letters for my children and If possible let them smile in their dreams knowing I still love them and wish to bring them here. I'm not asking for anything but equal time so hope this favor is allowed, my raven.

Many runes are then drawn, protection for the children, one the witch hoped was love to keep them warm and know they are wanted, and a particular one she learned hoping it will work... truth.

Kyre

Post by Kyre »

((Just a reminder this is a private journal of the character Kyre which means your character is unable to see it unless the journal is given to you. The thread is simply locked to prevent any gaffs since it is fairly old.. but look at the posting on the first one))

Kyre sits in the morning dew unaware of the dampness of the grass as she leans her back on the wall outside the library smiling widely while making a quick scribble in her journal.

I realize I have been very upset lately missing my girls but my prayers to Nargun have finally been answered! It was so good to walk past and hear some giggling in the library. When I went inside being curious at the noise, I saw them, my two girls! Immediately stepping back to allow completion of their class before they saw me, I can barely hold my excitement in anticipating that soon they will be in my arms. To be able to finally hug them again will be the best thing that has ever happened and confirms my devotion to Nargun.

Thank you again raven.. anything you wish to take as payment, I am willing.

The witch tucks her journal in the bag until she can hide it again then resumes her wait frequently peeking around the corner at her lovelies drinking in the view of her daughters. Finally, as the class ends, she stands and is suddenly nervous... will they remember her, will they still love her? All answers to her questions are forgotten in the warm hugs gotten and returned..

I love you!
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Not ignoring what anyone said even though some may think so, the witch wakes in the middle of the night to get her journal. Using a candle to study a few older drawings, Kyre mumbles:

Demon protection, just to be safe...

Tearing off the page of the journal to save, the book is then returned to it's hidden spot before she crawls back in bed to cuddle whispering softly...

I listened.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Sitting alone in the bed at the Red, Kyre writes on a parchment a strange list intending to place in her journal next time it is uncovered from it's hiding place.

Cherga priestess
Runes for warding
Candles.. get black.
Any pure? Probably
Women's armor (for just in case)
Where? (look over the map, need a safe area)
Spirit wand
Best with two moons
After.. where to stay, back to the Red?
Who? (mentally challenged, volunteer or almost dead)
Problems..need a medic.
Question... How much mana to bring someone or something here?

The last two on the list are pale while the pen becomes devoid of ink and many places are left blank as the writing halts. The witch lays down to close her eyes immediately going to sleep. The candle burns down untended dripping hot wax on the nearby table and the parchment eventually slides to the floor. With a soft wind blowing in the open window, it is slowly carried under the bed.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

A drawing suddenly appears in the witch's journal: