Why no new players come?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Karrock

Why no new players come?

Post by Karrock »

How this is even possible?

I as myself got 32% of 52 (the number of total active players of Illarion) in my facebook's group, gathered of people with the most uncommom mindset and beliefs of all groups in Poland. 44% from 37 fanatics those liked facebook's profile known in facebook as Illarion.org Those people I never met and I don't even know (except two of them) and I write just one post less than one month. You think this is still less than Illarion has and Illarion is very special? Let me analyze the numbers. Amount of roleplayers (players of a table rpgs) are counted in whole world in millions (all people who even once tried this genre of games). To get interest to play in Illarion you must pass 3 steps.

First.
You must want to roleplay (I told of milions people in whole world before).

Second.
You must know english or german or both.

Third.
You must accept archaic (in comparison to modern days) graphics. *

In the result from the base number you can expect in worst effect more than 10 thousands of active players.

* Illarion has only a one competitor in genre of enforced roleplaying games to be honest. All other games cannot be counted as real rivals, because they are only muds (multi user dungeons; text games without any graphics) or pirate servers of other games like in the example Ultima Online (this doesn't allow them to do any commercials, any promotions)

During of one year my page on facebook existed I got this number I presented above, fortuity? I don't think so. The target I hit is not counted in milions, but in only few thousands people in the whole world. And expect two I don't know any of them. I could interest those people by a content and they don't only like my page but also all of them, with no exception hit "observe" button.

To be honest I write this whole topic, perfectly know, that nothing will change. I'm sure of it.
Rincewind

Re: Why no new players come?

Post by Rincewind »

so you basically say... it should be impossible that illarion got so few newcomers & players based on your calculated numbers of the low competition and of amount RP-fans out there...?
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Enforced rpgs in internet are more than those 2. But except muds (games without any graphics, just text) all of them are illegal servers of other games. This situation doesn't allow those games to do any legal promotion. Those promotion those games do are illegal (to the law) or not by checked channels. Like friend's rumor to friend. And those pirate games have same number or similar number of players.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

I don't understand either why there are so few players... I like the game - it got it's flaws but they ain't as bad as many many other games I tried out for free @ Steam.

-.- it is probably for the same reason why Trump got elected for President.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

People don't play this, because this is not a game, only a chat.
Let me explain this.
Try to feel you are new here, and you are completely random person who never had any connect to Illarion.
You thought this is a game? Skipping there are no other players around or just about three, what thing would get you interest to return?
You find that there are in better time four persons around depot. Will you come to them for socializing? Do you do this in normal life to completely stranger group?
In my opinion normal people are normal, and current "game" is directed to people who easily can find them self popular and are confident in contact with completely strange persons and also they like get know new people. Even if those popular players afre popular only at internet. If you ever was at lecture (not at school) and people of the scene gave chance to give a question to the people you could easily observe that there were about one hundred people and only fev, maybe several had any question. Do you still believe they got no questions? I think they got but were to shy to ask. Common person will not return because has no need to chat with other strange people and also system does not give hit anything interesting in the content.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Karrock wrote:People don't play this, because this is not a game, only a chat.
The stuff behind this: -> Install Illarion <-
... clearly is a game. I checked.

As the whole topic has been brought up so many times before, what do you intend to accomplish here (in this thread)?

The data we have (or at least I had back when this was discussed the last time) tells that we lose the vast majority of the 2 new people per day at account/character creation.
I dare claim Illarions washout rate of new players after character creation to not being far behind of commercial free to play titles.

Answer to thread name: People come, but quit before ever logging in with a character.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Q-wert wrote:
Karrock wrote:People don't play this, because this is not a game, only a chat.
The stuff behind this: -> Install Illarion <-
... clearly is a game. I checked.
The Sims serie also has got graphics, sounds, musics content and mechanics content but academically this serie are labelled as a toys, not a games.
To call something a game this must meet requirments. One of those is to being challenge. Of course getting skills might look as if this is challenge, but in my opinion this is just a matter of a time and effort to spend for grind. In the Sims series you can also get skills, actually by this same method.
Whole economy here has no goal.
Miner get ores and sells to smith -> Smith makes sword and sells to warrior -> Warrior kills monsters by this sword.
This whole process has start and end, but has no goal. No challenge, no competition.

The data we have (or at least I had back when this was discussed the last time) tells that we lose the vast majority of the 2 new people per day at account/character creation.
I dare claim Illarions washout rate of new players after character creation to not being far behind of commercial free to play titles.

Answer to thread name: People come, but quit before ever logging in with a character.
This is correct and has been already noticed. Devs as I know work to replace character-creation system to the program. I think this one problem will be solved soon.
As the whole topic has been brought up so many times before, what do you intend to accomplish here (in this thread)?
Whole concept except enforce roleplay or other money-consuming parts must be changed remaking this from being actually just a graphic roleplay chat with some mechanics to become the real game. Without this change any attempts to attract people is waste of time. New player when logs MUST feel wanting to stay here because of wanting to PLAY. New player MUST find reasons to play even alone. System should be constructed in the way of encouraging people to spend time with others but do not punish them when they don't want to spend time with others and want stay alone. Now I think new player when logs may feel like he has came to a sect. People suddenly appear around him, treat like he was a retard and give him feeling they think they are better than him. Really read comments about Illarion wrote at other pages.

And Illarion is the legal project, comparing to those illegal roleplay servers or shards of other games. This mean Illarion doesn't need to limit its promotion to doing the same like those illegal ones.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Actually Illarion is forcing all characters to follow the one main cultural and ethical code. This is not just fight good characters vs bad characters. This is the battle against each ingame race, against each ingame culture and against each single character. Same method like Mark Zuckerberg uses is used also here. Force people to accept something normally they will not accept, by using higher argument. Mark Zuckerberg forces people to accept recognition faces script giving them argument that blind people have difficulties to get know what others place on facebook. You don't accept it? You feel as s**t. Illarion forces all to become grey, undefined mob giving argument of "We play together not against". You don't want to feel, that you are against someone. But honestly this breaks ooc-rule to do not connecting player's behaviour with character's behaviour. This rule actually really means "All our chars have same goal. Any private goal is not allowed". Of course you might say, that is not right observation, because lizardmen follows Tanora and speaks differently or orcs have own version of the common language. Orcish is dieing version of english currently.

This is the same situation like we have in the world. Globalism outwardly accepts differences. Tourists love folk outfits or to attend to local old events, listen strange dialects. But those who should wear those outfits in the common life or follow old life-style traditions or speak their dialects between them, they don't do this in their common lifes. This is the effect of the exclusion of the main culture. In the real life no serious corporation will let someone who is different to be promoted. Sometimes be employed is not possible. Only shallow differences are accepted. Deep difference is against the system. Leftists hippies have romantic visions of those excluded cultures. They would like to see them as fairground cultures. But not many people dream of being the clowns for entartaining people so old lesser cultures dieing. Heirs of the old cultures drop those , because they are people. They want earn money, be treated fair and respected. This is not their wish to become beggars who entertain tourists.
If Illarion will not remove this problem and will not remove those who insist to remain this "strategy" then Illarion will never get new players. This is because people who want to join enforced roleplaying game don't want to play the rp-chat with the same standards they know in their everyday life. Only solution is respecting each style of playing that can be made by creating new or changing old mechanics. Providing challenge and rivalry will result in getting new players. Now people log more often only when is planned event, because without events there is almost nothing to do. Skipping the mechanics also current situation of roleplay doesn't provide any good tool to achieve anything by characters who don't want to be a part of this lovely, corporate atmosphere because of using by those who control the game arguments those can't be defeated. The modern arguments.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Illarion is fine.