Respect the conflict!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mephistopheles

Respect the conflict!

Post by Mephistopheles »

Hey, so I wanted to clear some things up for all you peace loving hippies out there.

Don't ruin the fun of others in this game, just stop it. If you dislike conflict then do your best to make peace or avoid fighting, but don't ruin the conflict based roleplayer's fun by making peace 100% of the time.

Tension and skirmishes should be okay, especially when it involves conflict based roleplayers and most certainly not Peace loving hippies or crafters and such. If you don't want in then seriously, just bugger off.

Now don't take this the wrong way, The way this conflict recently was avoided ig seemed legit, but the speed that people go to "It was ooc setup, it always happens" and then not believing anything your townsfolk say or do, or even caring for them at all is pathetic. Take Bob for instance, he's a lawful evil guy, but one who is quite good at keeping his misdeeds hidden besides for a few he's open about. He follows the laws, takes orders etc etc, but when he see's a chance to get a bit of fighting going on with the people he's sworn to be an enemy of in a setting that would benefit him legally.. yeh well it's annoying when all the roleplay he puts in is then disregarded.

Same goes if someone is attacked and they want to push for a response, our chars are people as well, when the game world treats them harshly they can turn out to be monsters. If the life of a real man and his family is threatened, he doesn't send them fish, or hide inside a city. So stop treating these characters like that's what they should do, because it's our rp and it isn't how it should be.

So it's pretty simple, don't be unrealistic in your expectations for your fellow roleplayers and they won't leave the game, quite a few people I loved to play with left because of the complete lack of any conflict, like Erin Thorstar for instance, if the po came around now she'd tell you the same. We're finally getting characters back and even some new guys in, so aye don't drive the warriors away with your boring shenanigans, because I like those folk.

anyway cheers, no personal feelings kept here just wanna play the game and enjoy it
CJK
Developer

Re: Respect the conflict!

Post by CJK »

I mentioned it when you posted to OT, but I feel similar. Inter-character conflict is hugely necessary for a game like ours.

At the same time, it makes sense for those peace loving hippies in the game (NOT THEIR PO'S THOUGH, IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE) to do what they can to prevent wars. If the PO is doing something OOC to prevent wars, that should be considered shameful. If the character is doing it, that should be a good thing. Ultimately, it shouldn't matter whether the peace-lovers or the conflict-driven win out on the final decision/outcome, as long as they can have inter-character conflict between each other to get there.

On a closely related note, something that I was recently griping about on IRC is how quick people are to jump to the "let the [Town GM] handle it!" response. Considering the "Queen" and the "Don" are GMs who have to react as both staff and as those characters, going to them to resolve conflict between characters is all sorts of entangled between being an IC thing and an OOC thing. I find it to be the most boring and unimaginative resolution possible, because you are basically exporting your character conflicts to the GM staff.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I don't wish to 'respect any conflict' ooc nor avoid any ooc...because your character should roleplay like they are themselves and not the player. Conflict is an in game matter and should be left in game. If someone wishes to set up a conflict situation be prepared for others not to do as you wish, it is all up to a variety of characters that are unpredictable.

I love Illarion because it is not a game you play against a computer. Every player contributes their part depending on their character to the whole. To accept an outcome ooc encourages the most fun in the game despite what your character may want and do. If you expect a certain outcome ooc for your char and the game... it will usually get you disappointment/frustration and oocly complaining in the end because no two chars are alike and no two players are alike.

I personally don't plan on going against my character's natural tendency to push for some ooc ideal of "needs conflict" or 'doesn't need' it... and hope no one else does either. Simply play your character and go where that leads you will reward with fun and enjoyment from the game.
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

Hey look at it this way. Be conflict or not be conflict. It is the characters choice. Azure loves conflict but he loves his wife. I was told you can't be a Moshran follower and a husband. I beg to differ. There are ways to play each side. All depends on how you play your character. So if the town leadership say no to conflict. No one says you have to listen. A lawful character follows the laws he demns lawful if a law is unlawful then he can choose not to follow it. Like achae says play your character. Conflict will be there always chose how you want to follow it. And mephy don't worry I have a feeling alot of conflict will be heading your way mwhahahahahahahaha shenanigans