Startling lack of player choice or input.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

rakust dorenstkzul

Startling lack of player choice or input.

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Why do people say this game is open ended, and the player can do what he likes?

I've seen a lot of praise for Illa, due to open ended nature of the game, and how you can do what you like. But this isn't true. I feel that the players are boxed in from the very start. At first, it seems alright. You can go along however you feel is the right way. But it all starts when you first die.

"Your deeds on Illarion are not over"

For me. This represents a deliberate design choice by the devs to specifically fall into the ideals of destiny and predestination. This eliminates any sense of choice the player feels, damaging the sense of building something through the choices you make. It pigeonholes us into the one path for the time we play the character and truly limits my enjoyment of the game.

I hope this gets addressed in a later patch.
Jupiter
Developer

Re: Startling lack of player choice or input.

Post by Jupiter »

I am not getting your point, especially the death thing. Could you try to explain it, please?
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:"Your deeds on Illarion are not over"

Good grief ! just close your eyes next time you die then your downward spiral into destiny and predestination will be stoped right at the very begining and you will be free, FREE! :lol: .
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Yes, but you as the player get to choose your destiny, so its still the players choice, not the gods =)
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

Advice: When Cherga sends you back even if you would like to spend the rest of your life with her, turn around, look deeply in her eyes and say to her: "My dear, I am going to die tonight." Then open your account, select your character, klick "Delete Character" and BAM, in your face, Cherga! We are united until the end of the world! :wink:
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Not sure if trolling or ...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I don't seem to get the point...
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

What i'm saying is that the dev team's focus on destiny vs free will renders all of our choices as players irrelevant.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I am also not understanding where you are coming from...give a concrete example where there is a focus on destiny versus free will. If using going to Cherga as one..the player has more free will then if there was perma....there is a delete char function and we are all about the roleplay. You can roleplay different then "your deeds are not done". Nothing is set in stone. There is no rule that says you must come back from Cherga.
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Don't feed the trolls.