Marisha's Travel Guide

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Kristine

Marisha's Travel Guide

Post by Kristine »

OOC: Hello, first I was thinking to open this thread in Newbie section, as this map can help to new players but then I thought that older players may like it too. (Though they already know all the NPCs and places and not only in Troll's Bane, but for RP purposes this map is not so bad I guess).

I didn't open this in RP forum for same reason. But if I did it wrong, I ask moderator to move this thread where it is more appropriate.

So this is the first notebook entry of not-yet-famous traveler Marisha. There is detailed map of NPCs, interesting spots and overview of Troll's Bane. (I plan to do more for other places too, though it took me about 4 hours to make, so don't expect me to make them everyday.

I understand that there may be mistakes and something may be missed, but it is ok RP-wise because travelers (especially in medieval times) often had not so correct information and maps with many "white dots", though their works are now regarded as valuable things anyway. Look at this entries not like made by some girl sitting in front of screen and torturing Photoshop, but as entries made by traveler who lived long ago and tried to overview the world around her as she saw at that moment.

So, here we are:

P.S. I have wider resolution version too, if anybody needs just PM me. Didn't want to post it here to not stretch the thread and I don't like to post minimized versions.

P.P.S. And I will be grateful if anyone gives little feedback to it too. :)
Djironnyma

Re: Marisha's Travel Guide

Post by Djironnyma »

I like it :D good work
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Thanks, glad you liked it :)
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

The Seahorse is no longer the Government's headquarters... but nice map nonetheless.
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Thanks, I tried :)
Junior Giant

Post by Junior Giant »

No.3 is referred to as the Theater.
No. 9 is the jail but I like guest houses better. :D

Very good work. This map should be included with the others of Illarion mainland and Island of Gobaith.
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Shame I didn't know about theater, It would be good addition to city really. Thanks for info
Well, and I suppose jail is in the lower chambers of what I called "Guest House" because I saw some comfortable beds on the upper floors, that wouldn't be for prisoners for sure :)
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Welcome to Illarion! Nice to see you get involved so quickly, it's heart warming.

Graphically, if you're aiming for something more medieval, you might want to slap some hand-drawn effects on those merchants' portraits. :P In Photoshop, try Filters > Artistic - fiddle there. :3

Otherwise, content-wise, it looks pretty cool, good job.
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Thanks for welcoming and thanks for the advice :)

I don't have Fiddle effect under artistics in filters on my PS though :-|

I was planning to make all backgrounds like with Nebaar... transparent. This way the effect of hand-draw would be maximum, but I'll be honest, some backgrounds would take pretty much time to clear, so I got lazy and decided not to :p

I know, tis no good for such a great adventurer, to be lazy, but well... Not her fault, bears attacked the camp during the process and she had no time to finish :D
Fianna Heneghan

Post by Fianna Heneghan »

That's completely awesome! *envies*
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Kristine wrote:I don't have Fiddle effect under artistics in filters on my PS though :-|
Image To fiddle is a verb, means "toy: manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination" - in other words, I meant go to Filters > Artistic and then try out the different options there until you found something that pleased you. :D Feel free to send me a PM if you need more Photoshop help!
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Fiddle=play... a good way to learn about photoshop is just to play around with it though there are some good tutorials you can google also. The standard filters in photoshop can be adjusted for strength and brush stroke etc. Artistic is one such but there are others you can "play" with also. There are also free filters you can download and add to photoshop but the standard are a good start. Nice work btw!
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Awesome. You could sell these to people IG, I think, too. = profit.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I hear a certain Governor is always searching for uh.. new .. graphical travel guides. :wink:
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Thanx Fianna :)
Wolfsword, Elijah - good way to earn and sponsor my farther travels, thanks for idea ;)

Karl, Achae - Ah, I understand. Yes, I know about artistic filters, I used them on map itself. And I often use them and play with them. First thing I learn in Photoshop were filters in fact :D

I was just little bit lazy to use them on every portrait, and since they were drawn anyway thought it would be ok to leave them like they are.
It was already getting late and I wanted to sleep... So, just faded them little bit.

Next time will work harder
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

O.O You made this map yourself? Really impressive, awesome!
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Thanks celdea :)
Idea for making guide was my friend's, but I did it all by myself, yes
Nerwin Weidenwind

Post by Nerwin Weidenwind »

Great work! I like it :-P
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Thanks Nerwin :)
Soon I will update my traveling guide. Will tell few "Stories from the crypt"
Drakon Gerwulf
Developer

Post by Drakon Gerwulf »

Great Job and very talented work.

Welcome.
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Thank you very much Drakon Gerwulf :)

And here comes another entry from the Traveler's Guide. This time it is about Graveyard. This is just one of the stories from graveyard. There will be series of them, about persons buried there. I called this series "Tales from the crypt" :p

So, this is the first tale from the crypt and it is about Fluffy Sheep :) Enjoy

As always, feedback would be welcome
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

uhm nice story, but you know that it havent anything to do with the "real" fluffy, do you? It isnt like a name which was chosen randomly for the tavern. This sheep was once a quest NPC which appear in different quests. Maybe you should ask a old players character about it ;)
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Oh, I had no idea about it :\
My story was made up on some old joke here...

Well, in true version the last words are kinda "So, who f***** CARES" and is even funny if told, not written :p

I thought It was just random... but anyway, barkeeper could just tell a tall tale to the traveler and he just re-told what he was told... even if it's not true :\
Hrar Godcairn

Post by Hrar Godcairn »

Incredible :o
Matron

Post by Matron »

You're hot! (I wonder why Marius didn't say that yet :P)

... ..and ..err.. the stuff looks cool, yes.

Also, it's completely fine to tell different stories, there are barely old veteran players around who know the truth, so make up something new and fresh, otherwise there won't be any tales IG. Nobody cares for the old lore anyway if there is nobody who goes around telling it.
Last edited by Matron on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Djironnyma wrote:uhm nice story, but you know that it havent anything to do with the "real" fluffy, do you? It isnt like a name which was chosen randomly for the tavern. This sheep was once a quest NPC which appear in different quests. Maybe you should ask a old players character about it ;)
Wasn't there during the time, but apparently monsters would learn skills. So if you hit and heal a monster enough times, soon enough they'll be very dodgy and very resistant to magic.

Apparently fluffy was a killer sheep which was trained in this manner over a period of time.
Kristine

Post by Kristine »

Thanks everyone -)
Will be more careful next time
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Llama wrote:Wasn't there during the time, but apparently monsters would learn skills. So if you hit and heal a monster enough times, soon enough they'll be very dodgy and very resistant to magic.

Apparently fluffy was a killer sheep which was trained in this manner over a period of time.
Rumors :D

It was a questchar but i think Tialdin as tavern owner could tell you the most about it.
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

Matron wrote:You're hot! (I wonder why Marius didn't say that yet :P)
Shush you! :x
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

As far as I'm aware, monsters still can learn skills. It's just back in the day you could skill up a.) without a cap and b.) about 10 times as quickly.

So it was far easier and more viable to train up super monsters.

And I'm sure there's an older player or two who remembers using needles to powergame parry and slashing weapons.