Ropes and tying

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

snus-mumrik
Developer

Ropes and tying

Post by snus-mumrik »

It seems that there is a possibility to tie others with a rope, but it doesn't seem to work - kerps complaining that the target has moved, but it doesn't.
Has it ever worked? Am I missing something?

Also it seems that tying monsters down is not allowed. Why is that?

(My interest might be related to sacrifices to one specific god)
Jupiter
Developer

Re: Ropes and tying

Post by Jupiter »

It was buggy as hell in the past. Probably is again.
Force moving of players is always a bit odd... may lead to confusing jumping on the side of the person who is tied up.

On the monster issue: I guess noone ever thought that this could be helpful in anyway. With reasonable limits (e.g. no tieing up of diamond golems), I see no genereal problem with that.
snus-mumrik
Developer

Post by snus-mumrik »

Thanks Jupiter.
I've found the source of the bug. TargetPosList variable (that stores where the captives stood) got localized too much and now it is re-initialized before checking if the target has moved. Seems that the change happened 3 years ago, guess no one tried to use the rope since then :)
So I could now tie a cow and make it follow me. But there are strange things going on with rope quality/durability, and some non-intuitive behaviour. Fits the "buggy as hell" description.
I'll leave it alone meanwhile.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Really liked to use the rope though some used it to attack and send to Cherga also (happened to me). The "rumor" was if you learned wrestling the rope can be easily removed. Not sure on that but was able to remove a rope the next time and had skilled a little wrestling. The rumor was so broad in game however, there were even characters giving wrestling classes. :P .
Drugar Stonesmasher

Post by Drugar Stonesmasher »

some musings about tying someone up... that go quite a bit further and address some other "issues" as well.
(like the hectic fighting)

i suppose it should not be possible to ty someone in a fight - at least that sounds fairly rediculous to me.
-> tying someone with a weapon in his hand is not possible or possible only when he is nearly dead or even more so on his last health point

since people tend to have a weapon in their hands all the time, this leads to some further going restrictions:
-> one cannot run with shield and weapon in a hand (will slow down fights, but also will make fleeing from a fight much harder - which again might be desirable but will surly raise some complaints)
-> one cannot work and harvest with a weapon in a hand

also someone moving or running should not be tyable.

one might think of some other things, to make tying up another player charakter more difficult, but that might make it close to impossible to do it (and also might be hard or impossible to implement):
-> only from behind
-> only if at least 2 charakters are around the one being tyed up
-> the one being tyed up needs to be lower in strengh by some degree than the one (or those) tying him up