Magic? How does it work?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Valmoric

Magic? How does it work?

Post by Valmoric »

Hey again! so im still new to game have yet to find any RP so iv'e just been exploring and chopping down trees lol. So uhm my characters a mage and i have wand magic 10 atm. what exactly does the magic system in the game engine do atm? like are their different kinds of schools of magic or anything like that or do i just find a wand or something lol? any ifno would be appreciated
Valmoric

Re: Magic? How does it work?

Post by Valmoric »

Also on a side note, how do i get an avatar on the forums?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Here is the information on Wand Magic...also check on irc: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... ic#p705171

Control Panel at the top of the page/profile/edit avatar is how to get an 80pxX80px picture. :)
Valmoric

Post by Valmoric »

Thanks! not sure were to get a wand but this does help!, Also whats a good way to make money in the game lol?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I've found to start out do some of the quests, they may give you more of an idea what you wish your char to do. Selling magical gems sometimes works well. As far as buying a wand they are for sale in the craft part of Runewick town where you are or an advanced carpenter can make one.. sometimes buy from a craftsman. Have fun! :)
Valmoric

Post by Valmoric »

Where you get magical gems? OwO
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Hi Valmoric! Welcome to Illarion! Right now the magic done through the engine is via the skill "wand magic". There is a guide on how it works here: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =3&t=41222

One way to gain money is to begin doing some of the quests to gain rank in town. As you gain rank in the town, once a week (an ig month) you will "pay taxes" and receive magic gems in return. You can take those magic gems and use them in your gear (they give you an armor, weapon, or crafting skill boost), or you can begin selling or trading them with the other towns. There are 6 different gems total, each town has a set of two. Since you're in Runewick, I am pretty sure you won't have any problem selling those gems as they seem to be the least traded and therefore most desired ig ATM.

How you get a wand is rather up to you. You may be able to buy one either from an NPC or a craftsman who may sell it for less market value depending on the quality. You may be able to find a mage willing to give new mages simple wands to help them learn. Maybe you'll become an apprentice.

Ritual and theoretical magic also exists ig. It isn't supported by the engine, but is part of the games flavor. Ritual magic can be done with GM help, but it usually requires a few people joining in and rp significance. Magic teachers will also teach classes on occasion, so it is worth keeping an eye on the quest and event list as they will be listed there.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. With hope I will catch you ig later this week.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

ways to get magical gems:

1 ) become a member of one city and get rank 3 there -> then every ig month you have to pay taxes and get magical gems (each town have 2 different types)
2 ) treasure maps: some treasures have magical gems ..... you have to fight against some guards of the treasure
3 ) collect resources: there is a small chance to find a magical gem when collecting resources
4 ) try to buy mag gems: absolutly seldom but possible
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

I think A wand should be added to the mage starterpack, since it is the only item used by a mage (as for it is until now)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Apologize for off-topic
Sammy Goldlieb wrote:I think A wand should be added to the mage starterpack, since it is the only item used by a mage (as for it is until now)
A wand is all a mage needs and nothing to work toward.. perhaps add this as a proposal but how about this idea? Make student wands only help until a certain level with wand magic.. say *throws out some numbers* 10-20, then include them in the starter package for mages making them cheaper to also buy. Keep the other wands the same as now? Of course since these wands may be temporary it could depend on how hard it would be to program too.

Let me know if you wish me to move your suggestion to proposals. :)