learning Fighting

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Charlotte-ate-wilbur

learning Fighting

Post by Charlotte-ate-wilbur »

Okay, so I made a mantis ticket about this very issue but it was disregarded when I couldn't come up with exact numbers within the dev's timeframe.

SO, I have found that training in the arena or with other characters is quite effective, however fighting high level monsters in the wilderness at 90+ seems to be not working at all. My character has a warrior build and thus shouldn't have so much trouble learning especially because I maxed out two gathering skills and a crafting skill. I've been playing for many many hours, crafting, gathering, and questing and I KNOW that my mc is incredibly low because when I attempt an action in which I'm not skilled I level up in very few actions and have even tested on another crafting skill in which I got 30 levels in the matter of an hour (this was weeks ago, my mc is still very low)

So I have minimum dexterity, yet I can easily level up many times in a crafting skill, but yet with a warrior build I can hardly level up fighting at all. I don't feel like beating on another character for hours on end to get a single level. This is seriously discouraging, I can't imagine what it's like for the more casual gamer. This seriously needs looked at or I need someone to explain what I'm doing wrong, I'm using food buffs and potion buffs (int+str for weapons)

Wtf do I do?
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Re: learning Fighting

Suddenly I think this may be a bug, after attempting to train for a half an hour on an acolyte and learning nothing I relogged and am learning again albeit still at a much slower pace than anything else.
Lia

Post by Lia »

At the high level as 90+ it takes a long time and 99 to 100 again just as long. We all had to go through there.
And it makes only limited difference between craft and fight
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

I get this response often. I want to emphasize I have minimum dexterity and max str/agility. I also maxed out three other skills that were non-fighting. Once again I will say there is absolutely no comparison to the two. Fighting, even with a warrior build still takes far many more hours than crafting to level up. This is fact, and it's annoying to be told otherwise when I can very well show at lv 50 slashing vs 50 gem cutting with a warrior build, I level up gemcutting many times faster than fighting. Period. Honestly I won't keep beating a dead horse if the consensus continues that there is nothing wrong, but just because people are saying otherwise, doesn't mean they're right. I still implore someone with more experience than me to check this out and test it for themselves.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

This is by design. The amount you learn by an action is based on the time that action takes to be done. This holds completely true for crafting. For fighting, this is slightly different. It is not the time per se but the action points needed that define how much you learn. Action points a regenerated +10 every seconds, and a character has a maximum of 21. Furthermore, the amount of action points is divided by three. Let's say your attack costs 30 points (It's usually less, but easier for an example). Then, your attack roughly takes 3 seconds to be performed. Since this is divided by 3, we end up with an effective learning time of about 1 second.
This implies that learning one fighting skill would take three times as long as learning one crafting skill (assuming all circumstances are comparable, e.g. lvl of monsters and lvl of crafting goods). This holds true only if you really just focus on one skill, and not on e.g. slashing, parry and light armour together.

Does this match better to your experience of learning fighting skills?
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Absolutely, thank you. I was under the impression that the timeframes were intended to be the same for each skill, i.e. one hour crafting yields the same as one hour fighting.

Now that I understand its intended, I assume it is because there are many more crafting skills than fighting and so the overall time spent becoming a master of a profession (a master warrior wants to master the virtue of all his weapons, while the master crafter wishes to master all of his trades).

Thanks again for the explaination.