In game char description

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

snus-mumrik
Developer

In game char description

Post by snus-mumrik »

(This is a super-noob question, but there is not much help in game, and I failed to find in on forums).

Is there a way to see in-game description of another player?
I mean both/either the description provided by the player (e.g. "One eyed man with golden teeth") and automatic game-generated one (e.g. "You see an old short skinny man with long red beard. He is wearing a blue tunic, red cloak and green pants. He is holding a rapier.")
CJK
Developer

Re: In game char description

Post by CJK »

Neither of these are currently the case, no. A system similar to the automatic messages you've described has existed in the past, but was removed in the current version of the game.

There is an open ticket about implementing a new version of such system here: http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=7007 but work on did not proceed because it is considered a pretty low-priority issue for the amount of work it may require.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Unfortunately the only real way to get an idea of what a character looks like is either by looking at their vague paper dolling and/or the character descriptions people regrettably only occasionally add to their character profiles which are visible on the online character list.

In the past character sprites actually used to have different heights too. Sometimes you would find massive halflings who were bigger than the tiny little orcs. I wish I had screen shots.

Oh, and also you used to be able to save character descriptions to the F keys in game and it was sort of an unspoken courtesy to describe yourself when meeting a new character... but that was taken away too. We are able to copy paste into the chat bar now though, so I guess that's something. People hardly seem to do "descriptive introductions" anymore though.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

The online character descriptions are considered ooc (or has been in the past when we had in game character descriptions). Some simply type it out in game. You can also copy from one you save on notepad or another place.. and paste one for in game when desired.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Achae Eanstray wrote:The online character descriptions are considered ooc (or has been in the past when we had in game character descriptions). Some simply type it out in game. You can also copy from one you save on notepad or another place.. and paste one for in game when desired.
Oh really? I personally consider the character stories ooc... maybe, but never the descriptions. At least, I don't write mine to contain ooc knowledge. Merely what people perceive when encountering my characters. How they look, dress, sounds etc. But that's all very subjective and based on personal preference I suppose.

Yeah I have a note pad saved with various descriptions and some more commonly used emotes, that seems to be the way to go these days. More people should do this!
snus-mumrik
Developer

Post by snus-mumrik »

Thanks for the replies!
It seems a little bit strange that such basic functionality has disappeared between versions (I would understand if it was just not implemented in the first place). After all this is an important part for an rp-focused game.
I'll start using a notepad meanwhile, thanks for advice.