One eyed God

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Karrock

One eyed God

Post by Karrock »

I start this topic to dicuss about Eldan. I read many about one God from slavic mythology. Veles. The opposite to Perun. Or Varuna the opposite to Mitra.
In mythologies is often that God of magic and spirits has one eye and is enemy or opponent to God of honor and truth. When God of honor often has only one arm. In Illarion the opposite to Eldan is Bragon. Or Cherga to Zhambra. When normally God of spirit or wisom represents eldars or old men then God of honor represents men in in age of strenght. Old men take over roles of women because of lacking strenght and do work related to caring the home or cattles or doing other women craft. Or praxis initiation of youngs. This is also related to death, because old men are one foot in death. Death in Illarion is mostly related with Cherga (the underworld), but in mythologies of European people spirits never die and it's possible to contact with deads. It's source of power for old men when they choose to become shamans (in slavic culture shamans or volchvs were also mages). It's one of many existed ways to understand magic. In animism all animals, critters or even items or atmosferic phenomenons have their spirits, and even after death is possible to contact with them to get power. Shamans or primitive mages bind their power with herbs to get condition which give possibility of contact with these spirits.
So my first ask is also Eldan responsible in Illarion to contact with deads like Cherga is?
I'm planning maybe to make new char who would become shaman but I can choose only one God. So which God to choose Eldan or Cherga?
Jupiter
Developer

Re: One eyed God

Post by Jupiter »

Karrock wrote:So my first ask is also Eldan responsible in Illarion to contact with deads like Cherga is?
What do we mere mortals know about what the gods do an what not? :P
But to give a serious answer: I see nothing in the background that would support that role for Eldan. He's the dude for wisdom and not for strange undead stuff. [/quote]
I'm planning maybe to make new char who would become shaman but I can choose only one God. So which God to choose Eldan or Cherga?
No clue how a shaman would fit to Eldan in any way; therefore Cherga. Notice also that there is no fixed lore on what a shaman is or not in Illarion.
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

I would look at this WY also. The lore about the gods is a lore. I had a plan with a character that was gonna preach a different few of moshran but didnt happen cause rp changed his life and so it never happened. Just like technically one could preach that there is only one God but he warned people would look at this person as crazed or heretic. If your rp is strong it could work on how you want to play your character just be warned if your veiw in a god is different than others some might get hostile
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

More about Veles (it's quote translated by me of this video, fragment of beginning -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NeDQHFnaxk)

God of autumn and old men was Veles, Eldars got position of rule. They represented wisdom and were responsible to contact with Gods and ancestors. Confirms this ethymology of Veles's name. What is binded with word Volshebni (magical) or Vel (I see, I know) and term of soul of died.
And this character has shamanic's trait futhermore. Nature of this has essential implications with fertility. Underworld was regarded as source of different energy what can flows to both sides. And death and born as two faces of same operation.
No clue how a shaman would fit to Eldan in any way; therefore Cherga. Notice also that there is no fixed lore on what a shaman is or not in Illarion.
Yes, but also livings have spirits or souls. And for shaman also wheather or items like stones or trees have own spirits.
I need to know does Cherga has a responsibility for every form of spirits.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

I think you can rp both. It always depend from how people understand and interpretate a religion. Maybe your shaman got slightly different translations from what's delivered? Or his 'clan' understands Cherga to be the guardian of the souls and spirits even when they are alive since death and life is a circle. I would not stick too much to the try to compare gods from another mythology with the Illarion-gods.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Problem with shamanism or animism is that in every cult are same way to understand world. Shamans believe in trichotomie of world and division on what is visible and what is not. Most culture where shamans exist are same reguls or rules of understanding world and in every cultures exist something like tree of world which divisions world to three part. The underworld, the world of livings and world of Gods. Shaman in his voyages visites all three worlds. But shamanism is older than religion itself, but I chose to start that char as priest because arcane magic is something quite different but similar.
Maybe I should ignore priesthood and just choose magic. I'm not sure. Curenttly I know I can choose only one God. In slavic culture God of shamans was Veles (god of magic, underworld, art, craft and wealth) or in german culture this God was Odin (similar God to Veles, also responsible to do magic).
Wolchw, polish or slavic shaman was also priest of Veles. His magic means divination from voices of spirits which he can hear after do ecstatic dance or play on drums or drink special mixture.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

There are a few different ways you could go about accomplishing the task of a spiritual shaman.

As was stated somewhere before, the followers of various gods may not tie the domain of a god directly to them. Take Ronagan for example: From what is known in the lore, he could be followed and looked to for: protection, charity, allies, assassinations, discord, loyalty, and even harmony.

As for which god your shaman should follow to closely relate spirits, there are a few different options.

First, it depends on how you want your character to relate to the world in which he lives. Is your shaman inpartial to the world, despises the world, or loves it? Is the knowledge your shaman has sought knowledge for purpose/power, knowledge for the sake of knowledge, or knowledge for guidance?

If you see your character as one that does not value the material world much, nor contact with others, but also is only learning things for the sake of learning, Eldan may be the way to go. Eldan is characterized by being more philosophical and reserved, distant. The kind of guy who argues ideas with someone just for the sake of exploring the idea, but may not be attached or believe the idea on any level. When described as the god of spirit, I sometimes think it might be the god of 'sentience,' and less the god of 'ghosts'. But that is up for interpretation!

If your character is one that is seeking knowledge and spirits for a purpose, a plan, power, and ALSO has a friendlier view of the world, you might actually consider Elara. While not directly spiritual, Elara is the one who both seeks secrets and then uses it. She is another that does not celebrate the material, but it seems she is more relaxed in the regards of dealing with people (sometimes she will help with problems, sometimes gives guidance). She is also the one that Eldan handed his responsibility over to, in the lore.

If your character is one that intends to be rather neutral in most affairs, or has a leaning towards necromantic affairs, Cherga may be your best bet. She is considered to be the go to goddess of the spirit world, and of contacting the dead. Based off of what you have said, this does seem to be the case. On the other hand, it is also noted that those Cherga grants ability to, comes at a high cost. She is neutral in whom she gives this ability to, simply that her high price be paid. You may want to consider a higher price than some herbs. But it is your character, whatever.

And also, most characters in game realize that there are other gods. Just because your character is ascribed to one, does not mean that they do not relate to a pantheon of others. One of the interesting things about the Bearers of Fire is that they have a view not just of their own god, but that of others, and how they interact.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Okay I think Cherga is better choose. My new char has own plot in game right now and he is forced to finish one player-quest so exists good cause to play him :)

Thanks all for your previous advices.

Currently I have to choose guide spirit. I think of deer ('cause avatars of birds don't exist in game). Soon you will have a chances to use the service of local shaman. :)
Vwtqn

Post by Vwtqn »

If your character is one that is seeking knowledge and spirits for a purpose, a plan, power, and ALSO has a friendlier view of the world, you might actually consider Elara. While not directly spiritual, Elara is the one who both seeks secrets and then uses it. She is another that does not celebrate the material, but it seems she is more relaxed in the regards of dealing with people (sometimes she will help with problems, sometimes gives guidance).
Nope, just the reverse. Elian is the one I see with a friendlier, more benevolent view and powerful behavior. Compare owl to deer. Deer are annoying pests that governments pays you if you kill them because of destroying forests. Owls are the spiritual ones, coming out at twilight who see things most do not.

Elara celebrates the material since knowledge is inherently materialistic. She is one who is moving in and out of the forest opportunistically looking for treats and physical survival. Definitely, not relaxed at all with people. Mostly, shy and scatter-brained. It is Eldan who will help and advise since it is the owl that is powerful enough to not have to worry about merely surviving in the wilderness. Owl will call out and warn you of danger before it occurs, like when a wolf is prowling.