Unarmed fighting?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pickles

Unarmed fighting?

Post by Pickles »

Hello,

I was wondering if unarmed fighting is actually viable at all?

Or are swords/daggers/all other weaponry always going to be the better alternative?
Achae Eanstray

Re: Unarmed fighting?

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Not sure.. I believe there was a discussion.. http://illarion.org/mantis//view.php?id=656

Right now I think it is considered the weaker alternative. :) Used to it would help to have wrestling when a rope was used to tie up someone. I believe that skill i.e. the rope was removed however.
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

I don't think I have a mantis account to access the discussion. :s But you answers my question anyway.

Thanks for the info!

Maybe some sort of martial arts/monk class is something the devs will consider in the future...?? :)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

There is no charge to sign up for Mantis... all are encouraged. :D
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Not really worth the effort of making an account for this one. Here's the detail.
Skill "wrestling"
This skill should be renamed to "unarmed". Wrestling sounds like.. (( a link to a goofy picture of some kind that I couldn't get to open ))
Milestone IV: Review the fighting system

Discussion:

We should consider to drop wrestling altogether as a skill.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrestling used to be tied to the ability to remove a rope when bound. Is it not anymore? Why drop a good fighting skill? It is just as slashing, puncturing, distance? I have two chars with ability to wrestle and comes in handy in certain circumstances when I don't want to use an instrument such as sword to fight or even get food.

It has also come in handy fighting off ropes that have tried to bind in the past.

As roleplay, one of my chars calls it "dancing" and will sing and "dance" with another, has been fun to use also.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Renaming it sounds very good. I would not drop the skill alltogether though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, will rename the skill to "dancing"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extremely underpowered is what it is, I remember when wrestling used to be fun
What is the problem with simply making wrestling stronger? There is another mantis project related to making the soulpain stronger since they are 8 level and if judging by the graphic also use wrestling.

How is being facetious about the discussion of roleplay and skills related to an example given, help at all?

This is after all a roleplay game as advertised and not totally all skill as 10,000 other games are. Yes.. the engine should be aligned and that is needed, realize however that negating roleplay totally won't help either. How does the name matter? "Wrestling is the oldest and purest of personal combat sports." http://www.the-exiles.org/Article%20Bri ... stling.htm [^]

Why change the name?
My two cents?
I liked the wrestling skill in the old client. I haven't used it at all in this client except when I forgot to equip a weapon but that's because it's a useless skill. It does seem silly to have an elaborate fighting system and no room for raw pugilism. Many of the monsters fight without weapons and do it very effectively. Equality and consistency please.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Right now unarmed combat is very useful if you want to raise the defence skill of others, as it basically does no damage no matter how high your skill (whilst still counting as an attack of that level learning-wise).
My fighter character has maxed out the skill for this very purpose.
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Well that's good to know it has some minor use at least (helping others train their defense as Q-wert said) but it's a shame it's mostly useless...

Would it be unreasonable to suggest implementing some simple "unarmed weapons" that could utilize the skill and increase damage? Like... knuckle dusters, and claws etc? Seems like it could have potential to create some interesting combat styles, while at the same time reviving a currently simi-useful skill. The weapons could even fall under the blunt/piercing/slashing damage categories already in place?