Alchemy vs Magic

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ifthel

Alchemy vs Magic

Post by Ifthel »

'Ello, first topic ever. Don't hurt me.

So I was trying to learn the "Secret of Alchemy" and was told (in my case) by the "Recognizing Spring" that if I learnt it I would not be able to use magic (which to my knowledge isn't implemented yet). Do I need to know the secret to do alchemy or can I just not learn it and study both?
Alrik

Re: Alchemy vs Magic

Post by Alrik »

If you want to learn alchemy, you have to do the quest which is given to you by the Recognizing Spring (or the stone at Cadomyr, or the tree at Galmair - all of them give you the same quest so you can start to learn alchemy - each city has its own quest "npc" for this, but you only have to do one of them).

But as far as I know, if you chose to learn alchemy you will not be able to learn magic if it is implemented (please correct me if I am wrong).

So you can learn only one thing - Alchemy or Magic

(And even if it is not implemented enginge wise, there are some mages arround which teach and hold lessons. Magic is done via GM/Staff supported rituals at the moment)
Ifthel

Post by Ifthel »

Well then I guess my question now is: What will magic be like and will it be worth not studying alchemy?
Alyssa El'anir

Post by Alyssa El'anir »

There has been talk about a system where you can learn alchemy to later lose all skill related to it to start anew with one of the magic systems when they arrive, though would need a dev to confirm it as it was just theory-crafting among devs when I read it.

You can always make a temporary character just to try-out alchemy.

Since magic is still in development I don't think there will be a "final" answer of what it will be like, but I think it will be split into damaging magic,crafting and healing magic, where you'd have to make a choice. Again, need a dev to confirm it.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Ifthel wrote:Well then I guess my question now is: What will magic be like and will it be worth not studying alchemy?
There is nothing concrete to explain what magic will be like to a player yet. Really, in my opinion, to decide if magic is better than alchemy and worth waiting on is a personal choice. Different players will give you different answers. I prefer magic, but I joined Illarion because of magic many years ago. The area of alchemy holds little interest to me. On the flip side, I know players that love alchemy and its intricate potions and study of plant life, and despise magic. It is really up to you, what you like and what kind of character you are developing.
Ifthel

Post by Ifthel »

Well then I guess I'll just go alchemy because it seems to be nice and complicated and, for most games, magic tends to be simple.

Alyssa El'anir wrote:There has been talk about a system where you can learn alchemy to later lose all skill related to it to start anew with one of the magic systems when they arrive, though would need a dev to confirm it as it was just theory-crafting among devs when I read it.
Yeah that would be nice if magic actually turned out to be complicated. My heart is torn. *cries*