How essential are alchemy attributes?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pickles

How essential are alchemy attributes?

Post by Pickles »

Hey everyone.

I've been reading about attributes and their use and I was thinking of creating a character, but I wanted to know: how essential are the attributes concerning alchemy? I ask because I want to make a fighter, who can also make cool potions so I figure I will need to be smart with what I invest where so that they can be effective in both fields. (assuming it's even possible)

So is there a minimum requirements, or suggested amount of attribute points that need to/should be invested in essence, intelligence, perception etc?

Are some more important than others? Is so which ones, and what do they each do?

Are there some potions I can't make or other restrictions if I don't invest enough in the right places?

And how functional is the system at this point in general? (I understand the game is still undergoing major development)

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Regards,

Pickles
Achae Eanstray

Re: How essential are alchemy attributes?

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Sorry I don't know the minimum yet there is a minimum in order to learn alchemy. I assume you have seen this: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=37414

All I can suggest unless someone comes by with better information is to make your alchemist fighter and check to see if they are able to make potions. Each town has a place you can go to find this out. Also perhaps someone will come by with more knowledgeable information. :D
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

if i remember right

essence + perception + intelligence >= 30 points, otherwise you´re not able (to become an alchemist / druid) to make potions
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Perception is considered the main attribute in alchemy, but you need a base of 30 in perception, intelligence, and essence.

The stats combined have 25% influence on the quality of your potions (the other 75% would be your skill). The quality of your potions will determine the damage of bombs and the length/effectiveness of all other potions. The higher your alchemy base stats the higher quality potions made.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

The 25% influence on the potions is pretty neglectable for the mixed built you are aiming for, if you consider how attribute heavy the fighting system is. Don't put more than 30 on perception, intelligence and essence.

That said, my personal recommendation would be to max out perception (as it factors in to damage, hit chance and scales ranged combat learning for fighters and learning of alchemy), give the last necessary points for intelligence (10% influence on skill gain) and essence (no ingame effect as of now).

You'll be pretty low on leftover attribute points by then, strength is the key attribute for warriors, so that is what you would be after then.

It is possible to build a mixed warrior/alchemist, I know of at least two active characters having such a built. They are about as strong as a warrior once they are on combat drugs.

PS: Join Cado. Best place for getting herbs.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

It really doesnt matter which town you join. All support alchemist's . And all will have you traveling to all the other realms to find your herbs. Being you also want to be a fighter, you should be fairly safe picking your own herbs. But , trade makes the world go round. Ask others for those you do not have.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Q-wert wrote:
PS: Join Cado. Best place for getting herbs.
Totally ubiased :D

I mean, yeah, definitely the best place >_> :lol:
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Nice!

Thanks for the replies everyone, that pretty much answers all my questions. :D
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

as an Alchemist you need to travel around and
to learn all receipts you need to visit all towns (each town has an herb merchant and an "receipt merchant")
:arrow:
so you dont need to choose Cadomyr, you can also choose Runewick or Galmair
(( and you can later Change you´re hometown too ))
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

Correction Galmair doesnt not have herb merchant as far as i know.
Runewick is the best place for alchemist as far as i know. and is intended such way.
It would become primary in runewick if its not already. i have read this somewhere in forum itself, posted by estralis if i remember correctly.

But yes feel free to choose any faction as you would have to travel around anyway.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

1) true Galmair has no herb merchant - sorry - my mistake
2) there is no best town for alchemists at the moment, but may be this will changed one day
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Keep some attribute points for constitution, it will help you to suppress physical damage and recover your Health-points faster.