Lore: Blood magic

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mephistopheles

Lore: Blood magic

Post by Mephistopheles »

Hey I was honestly curious about the illarion version of blood magic really is. I've seen chars from warriors to alchemists rp blood magic, or rituals. Sometimes supported by gms, sometimes for fun on the forums.

This is more a question on how exactly does it work in illarion? In some lore bases it's a form of magic thats based through pain being self inflicted or on others, and turning that into a dark magic. Other lores make Blood magic the practice of using the life force of oneself (or someone/something else) that being blood, instead of mana, to fuel their dark arts.

Now if it was the second option then I suppose it would be perfectly fine rp to have a warrior rp the practice of blood rituals to fuel dark power, should they know how and where to delve into it.. Or even alchemists. Keep in mind this is not engine based, as there never was a blood magic system. It's just fancy stuff we throw in to enrich the roleplay.

I mainly ask this question because I don't want to base the actions and roleplay of my chars off what I've seen others do, I'd rather make a lore friendly and workable character that fits correctly into the world if illa.
Jupiter
Developer

Re: Lore: Blood magic

Post by Jupiter »

My opinion:
magic = what mages do
If someone else does it, it is no magic. That doesn't mean that alchemists cannot use blood in their own way or that you cannot make bloody ritual to honor Moshran. But then, it simply isn't magic. Everything else would be nonsense.

There is no fixed lore that says blood magic is this and that. There are theories. Those theories were made up trying to explain what happend. The GMs allow something to work or not to work. And the players try to come up with an explanation. If you are unsure ask a GM, then you are on the right side.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Also keep in mind, when you reference warriors... we have battle mages... could it have been one of those?
maryday

Post by maryday »

Interesting.
So far i`ve encountered this kind of art (across different systems) mainly by nature or willpower based chars using druidism, witchcraft or thaumaturgy.
I do not think it is one of the main roles of alchemists or mages to manipulate (living / dynamic) natural matrices.
I think those two classes tend to create or manipulate "artificial" nettings, probably of simplified / denaturated organic origin.
If someone was willing to define the lore-defined boundaries of the allowed possibilities HERE, i may offer basic system-rips of D&D, Pathfinder and Arcania.