Roleplay....

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

GolfLima

Re: Roleplay....

Post by GolfLima »

* for Jerem it was never a contest
* dont know why he knows much more names than others
* may be he was long time ig after the VBU and meet a lot of people than
* if i could hide him i would do it
Azure Lynch
Galmair

Post by Azure Lynch »

nathi wrote:
Falyame wrote: …….. as if there would be a "Name-contest" in this game. And the winner with the most names he collected wins something…..
hej

the thing is, there is a contest: http://illarion.org/statistics/de_highs ... #socialite

lg nathi
True but that should never interfere with rp. I personally would never run up to a stranger.they could kidnappers or thieves or worse ticklers you never know.
Falyame

Post by Falyame »

@nathi: I actually meant another "contest", not that high score list ...but well, this contest I meant isnt the point of my text anyway.

Oh, and golflima: same for you. ... I think I will delete the phrase with that contest ...it was just an example of my impression.
Aegohl

Courtesy in Fighting

Post by Aegohl »

Just because I'm getting tired of seeing it:

Guys, I'm in enough of a disadvantage playing a morally ambiguous character who isn't a carebear going around hugging people without making sure I have the skill to beat you all up first. When you attack someone, please first #me that you're attacking and once you've done that, maybe just allow that person to #me something back. I'm just tired of getting thugged even harder than I would be if I actually had the skills like every single time I encounter battle with another player.

Just give the other player the benefit of the doubt that maybe they're taking a sip from their coffee or something and give them a chance to take a full breath and then type something. If they attack you before you attack them, they're in the wrong. Don't do wrong to avoid being wronged. We're all here to play and have fun.

Alternatively, if you only want people playing non-heroic characters who aren't in a constant lovefest if they're absolutely 100% sure they can beat you in a fight, feel free to keep it up.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Very good ideas..#i, I have actually done that and I see your point..I am going to adjust my RP better! Line of site is a definite problem.. if no one acknowledges you, speak. Courtesy in fighting (thanks for permission to move) has been discussed forever and it is a good RP rule to keep, preventing ooc frustration by both players...let fighting be fun. A big rule is WAIT for an RP answer for everything.

Achae
Sarai Flysse

Post by Sarai Flysse »

Too many bad cooks have ruined the broth. If you are playing an 'evil' character 9/10 you will get right clicked or at least relentlessly followed. So, the gut reaction a lot of times is to right click them back.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Hopefully this for new players and as a reminder to old.

Illarion is a medieval roleplaying game, we use words used in medieval time.. or at least no initials.

cya
bbl
brb
Some say ok is not good use of the game language, others disagree on this. I personally would say okay if wish. *shrugs*
The language should fit the character and the game world and should follow the rules of spelling and grammar as well as possible. Modern expressions as well as abbreviations or "Leet-speak" (e.g. "u g0t pwn3d") should not by used.
http://illarion.org/illarion/us_rules.php#realism

It is very easy to fall back on this but you have to admit it does break the atmosphere when seen. Any other suggestions?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Another good thought that was brought up to me... good roleplay is when your character changes with happenings in the game. Someone that completely ignores influences that can be general or unique for their character, and their character doesn't ever "grow" may need to rethink the concept and allow more three dimensional aspects for their imaginings.
Janislov Blythe

Post by Janislov Blythe »

That's always been something I find very hard. For me, if I actively think about it and try to make my character change when things happen around him, it always feels to aprupt for a natural change in character. On the other hand, if I don't try to get rid of some of his old behaviour it usually doesn't happen at all, simply because I'm too used to the character trades and forget that he should've changed due to XY happening.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Thanks for giving permission to move the previous post here...

Playing bad or evil is one of the hardest/most difficult roleplay options to do if you are going to do it right i.e. make sure all enjoy the roleplay and follow the rules of the game. What is the ultimate purpose of this roleplay?

http://illarion.org/illarion/us_rules.php#code
The purposeful attacking of a character without clearly traceable and reasonable roleplaying reason is forbidden. Immediate killing of a character right after resurrection ("res-killing") is not allowed.

List some general ideas for what is considered good evil/thief/outlaw roleplay.
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Well, it's all about grey lines.
If you're going to kill someone, good, bonnie and whatever else. But if it were to go:

"Jimmy the thug stands next to the man, then suddenly drives a dagger into the man's body"

If there's no build up, no prior emotes to describe Jimmy's movments, his atmosphere, his posture and the likes, I'd eqate this to the rule mentioned about no attacking without reason. The best roleplay I find, is one based on communication between the players. For example, during the Orc wars, the Orcs were hoping to kill the Dwarf Queen, there was a misunderstanding on what happened, fair enough. So rather than doing something cheap, like trying to force a permanent wound on the POs character, they just threw her off the top of the mountain, how and if she survived, was up to the Player.

For the question in terms of what is the purpose of such roleplay, it's the roleplay in of itself. Now, that answer sounds pompous, but really, we're playing characters in years who're meant to develop over that time, the history and their desires and wants are bound to change. Take my old Halfer for example.

Started out as a farmer, baker who wanted to open up his own cafe, joined the union. Life goes on for a few years, makes friends, becomes foes with Orcs, then Flux's quest started. He heard the voice that said cut his friend and all dah gold beh his, or something to that affect. So, gripped by madness, he lunged out and slashed the lassie. I needed some time to deal with life, so I ended up taking a break during most of the quest afterwards, but after a sudden turn like that, there's no moving back. So, as he became more and more unhinged, he aligned with Nargun. He wasn't a priest in the sense of being given powers, but merely believing in chaos and the likes and trying to give insanity to some of his friends. Near the end, he aligned with what was left of the temple if I'm not mistaken and was attempting to take over Greenbriar so he could then use it as a place of madness and the likes. Nothing says praise Nargun like killing all the bunnies back then :lol:

But, the temple folk vanished for the most part, he was left alone, so the natural path that madness leads is towards self destruction, and he killed himself.

There really is no aim in roleplay. We create these characters to create new stories. The interactions of the world shape our characters, it changes them over time. So if you find yourself playing a somewhat 'bad/evil' character, is it completely black and white or is there a story behind it? If there's nothing to back up a characters motives and intentions, that's where I call it bad roleplay. This is where their history is important.

Sure people can have aims, but the aims of the character aren't the be all and end all. If they're simply being used for the end of a quest or to help a quest, they still have a story to them, the aim isn't all they have. If Jimmy the thug wants to be a homicidal nut case, the player has to roleplay a lot harder than someone who simply spends their whole day farming, their character development has to be so much more firm and steady.

Though to condense all of what I wrote.
  • Be prepared to write and emote a lot
    Do not expect to be welcome at every fireplace, it breaks the atmosphere that character has
    Be prepared to be hated, but never take it personally.
    Create a story between players, communicate with your victims and work out a story between yourselves.
    Don't just randomly stabby stabby without any reason why not. Be a murderer all you want, but give him/her motivation.
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

Your post genuinely inspires me to play a villain, PO Will.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Thanks for the great discussion... I wish to remind people the hardest thing to play in game is a villain. Good roleplay is a must in that situation and we are all still learning. No one person knows it all and input from everyone should be welcome.

IF there is a personal input from player to player please use the PM system. irc, the forum or ooc ig is not the correct way to voice a personal opinion from player to player.

I have played a villain a number of times but we also have to remember even villains grow and learn from experience..some of my villains died, some got well (relatively).. some got secretive :wink: . The only ones are suspect are ones that never change. Perhaps as an introduction, a story-line on the board would help some? It may clear up not the char's confusion, but the player's confusion on "why" and "how is the best way?"

Don't expect other players to conform to your idea of what should happen however. That is why I really love player/player games and not simply player/computer. We all have to be prepared to:
1. go with the flow of the RP
2. If a question.. ask per PM rather then assume
3. remember to take a break occasionally (playing a villain is HARD work)
4. LANGUAGE: This game in particular with two languages... we also have to allow plenty of time for an answer and make sure the other person understands the roleplay.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I found this and thought I would add it here as a discussion on RP: http://roleplaycentral.org/faqs/bad-rol ... -behavior/

But other information makes a good read also: http://roleplaycentral.org/faqs/creatin ... character/

Their FAQ: http://roleplaycentral.org/faqs/
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I'd like to add this for people with some questions I have heard:

roleplay (rōlˈplāˌ)►

v.
To act out a fantasy, especially with a group.
v.
To act as (a character) as part of a fantasy, especially with a group.
n.
The practice of roleplaying

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/role-play

Just all remember roleplay is a fantasy. Nothing is real. You have freedom to react to things and objects as long as game rules and engine rules are followed. I can have a story of my character, write a paper, roleplay wearing glasses, have a slave...any number of things as long as approved. Where my information comes from can be solely from my imagination and not from anything in the game as it is now. You have the privilege of believing or not hence why the game is so much fun. Anyone have a question on something feel free to ask. :D
Kraex

Post by Kraex »

Everything in this game is situational. There are many in this community that do their damnedest to avoid "engine" punishments for IG argo RP. At the same time there are others, because of their position of power IG, will show you no mercy. Similar to how the mob could walk into a grocery store force a clerk to pay them protection fees, but could not walk up to an "unknown" police officer and expect the same.

In my experience I have always created bandit type characters convinced that they would die in the end. I create them for the "entertainment" of others, to give the mass of /quote/ good guys /unquote/ a plot line to propel their character's story/legacy.

In general here are "my" unwritten laws of playing an antagonist:
  • Avoid PvP/PKing. Focus on #me's instead to stimulate a RP atmosphere.
  • Go into RP situations with no expectations of the outcome.
  • Try and find a RP buddy to wreak havoc with you. Plot and try and setup scenarios to keep RPers off balance.
  • Be logical, walking into a faction's city and starting argo RP is going to have dire consequences more than likely. Instead find ways to lure people out of their towns, or find spots that players often venture to.
  • When things go bad for your character see it through to the end, for often the end is really just a new beginning or angle.
  • Your reward for antagonist RP, is simply the RP.

I truly hate to write what I am about to write, but to be honest it was the truth for my first attempt at creating an antagonist. I had another PO ask that I make a character to engage with theirs. Said character was already established IG, knew people, and had decent skills. I road on the coattails of said character and we were very careful IG who to approach IG. In fact as time went along I use to talk OOC with other players and let them know beforehand that I was coming for them to be mean or even plotted a scenario. To date, the best RPs I've ever had as an argo character are with POs I trust because I know they know that it is nothing personal. They've let me kidnap, torture, rob (till naked even), ransom, bribe, due dark rituals upon, and so many other things that I've forgotten after 10 years of playing this game.

Now this is not to say that I avoided other POs or didn't have awkward RPs with super Argo "Good Guys", but having those moments mentioned above were good for motivation and character building. Pre-VBU the risk/reward of playing a bad guy was 'way' higher as you could take items from characters. The idea was that without 'harsh' consequences good guys would be more apt to RP with bad guys and vice versa since there was no threat of losing valuable items. Sadly, I have not seen this be the case and since there is no 'real' tangible IG reward for playing a bad guy you HAVE to do it for the RP, plain and simple.

All my opinions in a nutshell, take it or leave it. I just hope to see more baddies IG!
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Good advise from PO Kraex, I want to add that yes, you can attack and hit then be arrested by characters including guards (which as on Gobaith are not considered simple stationary NPC's but characters with ability to see and stop violence). This is nothing different from Gobaith towns either in that regard. Roleplay-wise you can rarely "win" unless you are good at running... as an antagonist and can be sent to jail if your bad guy elects to attack in a town yet how many protagonists would dare do that anyway? Out of town however is where a lot of the antagonists can more safely "ply" their trade.

As PO Kraex mentions, don't expect your character to earn much coin nor to live a long time..antagonists make wonderful roleplay if you work on your #me's and can be very exciting for all players. Those that wish to simply "win" may best not to try to be a bad guy. My most exciting time as an antagonist was a thief that most of the time was caught and frequently sent to the cross since she was also a mage. She also robbed a prominent teacher at the time but sadly never made it to any mage class. I eventually made another more law-abiding mage yet due to the original's roleplay, my second one was accepted in a class by that same mage teacher.

Hopefully both these answers are helpful.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

I'm sorry but these two answers are not equal to my question. Anyway they are good advices which I read with pleasure. However I asked something else. I of course avoid fights with using mechanic, but when someone do not relate to my character full rp acts and play as hero who ignores any risk and threat my char with some things what can do then my char must do attack him to quiet him. But there is no possibility to win such a fight if "victim" can report even when lost fight. Please do not tell me I can lead my char in wilderness because it's death of character in my opinion.

Edit: There is no sense to report everything. I avoid mechanic fights and give my victims chance to play as they want. Some people accept this, because I always do emote "he tries". I feel this is try to wipe my char off, because some people try force idea that "good" always must won (even defeated).
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Karrock,
you are right that the lack of a perma death system or similar is boon and bane for rolepaly conflicts, especially for chars of a extreme/strict moral. Anyway i advise you to be tricky about your chars acts. You know the bigger criminal is the person who opens a bank, not the person who robs a bank. If you want play a villian for long term use the system, the IG laws and people in power for your "evil" plots and dont operate open against them. In you concrete question that could lead to the situation, that the "hero" can indeed report your actions but the town officials would believe your words (lies) more as him and you may get away with whatever you had done.

Mephi,
the situation of your char and your opinion about him be threaten unfair was discussed here http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=40394. There you got serval detailed answers. I doubt it will improve a discussion to bring your point of view up whenever you feeling it may fit. So please stay on topic here.

Thanks, Dji