Is there any reason I can't learn to parry?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Snori

Is there any reason I can't learn to parry?

Post by Snori »

I've been playing for six months now, I'm 49th level medium Armour, and only level 3 parry. I know that at first. I wore heavy gauntlets, but I have had half hour sparring sessions with Gina where my slashing and Armour levels go up, but not parry.

Can you check to see if there is a problem with my account?

Thanks
Snoring Gunnarson
Estralis Seborian

Re: Is there any reason I can't learn to parry?

Post by Estralis Seborian »

No, there is no problem with your account. You can only learn the parry skill if you, well, parry successfully ("shield animation"). If you are very bad at parrying and your opponent is also very good at attacking, you will never parry. Also, if you have a bad shield, you will parry less often. Furthermore, agility affects your chance to parry.

All in all - you learn parry best against weak opponents while you learn the armour skills against good opponents.
Rincewind

Re: Is there any reason I can't learn to parry?

Post by Rincewind »

There is probably a reason.

The highest LVed item is used for fighting, therefore determines if you learn or not. if you use a shield according to your parry lv, and for example a higher LVed Weapon you won't learn Parry.

See -> http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=9981

To learn parry, use a weapon AND schield according to your parry skill.