Skills

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

CrowGoddess

Skills

Post by CrowGoddess »

Hello, folks!

I want to say I am enjoying being a newblet and learning how things work in game. The manual is constantly open and I keep referring back to it for info and for assistance when I am encountering new things. I do have some questions regarding the skills in game.

I know that the skills cannot be raised over 100.

However, are we limited in the number of skills we are allowed to have?

Is there a way to control what skills we obtain/keep?

Are skills capable of decreasing/being removed if we do not want them?

Are skills dependent on physical status of the character? (ex. Newb is hungry and the hunger affects skill by deducting "x" points from total skill.)

I appreciate the help!

:]
Jupiter
Developer

Re: Skills

Post by Jupiter »

CrowGoddess wrote:However, are we limited in the number of skills we are allowed to have?
No.
Is there a way to control what skills we obtain/keep?
If you do an action that has a skill linked to it, you will learn that skill. No way to avoid this but to avoid the action.
Are skills capable of decreasing/being removed if we do not want them?
You can nicely ask a GM to remove them for you. However, that is additional work for them.
Are skills dependent on physical status of the character? (ex. Newb is hungry and the hunger affects skill by deducting "x" points from total skill.)
No. Only attributes have an influence on how fast you learn. See: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=37414
That list shows you what attributes decides for what skill how fast you learn.
CrowGoddess

Post by CrowGoddess »

Fabulous!

Thank you for the input!
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Many things can be learned in game... ask around about things. Many people will gladly help you.

Also, about skills, you asked in a couple different questions about removing unwanted skills, while you can, I'm not sure why you would want to. Skills, once learned, don't interact poorly with one another. Meaning, they don't affect each other in a bad way. Just because you learn how to use a sword doesn't mean you can't also learn how to use a dagger. I would, however, recommend learning one at a time as you will want to become proficient in the usage of one weapon before trying to learn another. The same goes for armor types.

But, above all of this and everything else, enjoy the game!

PO ~Uhuru~
Alessaina

Post by Alessaina »

Jupiter wrote:
CrowGoddess wrote:Are skills dependent on physical status of the character? (ex. Newb is hungry and the hunger affects skill by deducting "x" points from total skill.)
No. Only attributes have an influence on how fast you learn. See: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=37414
That list shows you what attributes decides for what skill how fast you learn.
Jupiter is correct. However, like any normal person, if your character's hunger level is low/empty, it won't allow you to continue working on that skill.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

To clarify: You can skill up even if you are close to death by starvation. However, some actions - e.g. crafting - cannot be done without enough food level ("yellow bar").

You can level up in e.g. fighting skills, but it is not such a good idea to fight while being hungry. Just eat some apples or ask your local cook for a nice supper.