Einem Gott weihen - Devote to a god

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Avariel

Einem Gott weihen - Devote to a god

Post by Avariel »

Wenn man sich an einem Altar einem Gott weiht, macht das einem zum Priester? Wenn nein, wie wird man ein Priester?

When one devotes himself at an altar to one of the gods, does that make him a priest? If not so, how does one become a priest?
Achae Eanstray

Re: Einem Gott weihen - Devote to a god

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I believe it mentions if there was priest magic which there isn't. At the moment it is simply roleplaying a priest.. getting followers. :)
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

First devoting of items only makes the character a devotee only i think.
the becoming of priest is on second time.
The rest is as Achae said.. RP of being Priest.
Avariel

Post by Avariel »

So, if I get it right, I do not need any approval by a GM, but just may roleplay a priest, act according to the deitys commandments?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

To be a priest or not is mostly a question if other chars accept your char as one. If your char call himself a priest, but no one take him serious, he will be just a man who calls himself a priest. There is nothing like a official priest registration to be granded with devine powers. If your char want to become a priest i would advise first to search other priestchars to learn from them, study the different relegions of the races and cultures and then indeed make clerical service, e.g. holding mess, pray for specific things, care about shrines or build new ones, give advices to other chars etc. .

The "power" of a priest is mostly the ability to inspire and motivate people, other devine/clerical powers are not formal granded and ever in the decission of a GM.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

I have to agree with Djironnyma. I have seen a few characters that have called themselves priests but were little more than just running around and irritating everyone with nonsense. They never were taken seriously and I don't believe had any followers and eventually had to scrap the characters because they just weren't fun to be around. They were constantly in people's faces, pushing their idea of their religion on people and demanding change from everyone around them. The problem here is that it just drove everyone away. Just reminded me of a carnival act really.

Be true to your character and to the chosen God. The priest following Moshran will act or behave much differently than the priest following Elara. Under the "Gods of Illarion" it often says how the followers act or who will follow which God. For instance, "The followers of Zhambra are righteous and loyal ones who believe in honor and law. They often try to rescue others, and fight against the evil." I believe a priest of Zhambra would gather followers by helping them in some way without asking for recompense or anything in return.
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

First of all I have to agree with Dji and Uhuru.

As a small hint:

One of my characters is a priest (think you know him). Was a long way till he called himself priest. As first he had a long time where he called himself a follower of this good, then a strong follower... Even as some called him a priest after some time he said "I am no one - I did not receive a consecration."

A long time playing a faithful character and a key experience (through a GM) and a small talk with a GM he started to call himself priest. And is still learning. As it was mentioned before for all divine things and many things a priest needs a GM. Ask them, they don´t bite (at least not so hard) as far as I had the experience with them.

Last but not least, one thing I have in mind while playing a priest: "Give everything, expect nothing - but if it works, it rocks"
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

Alrik wrote:Ask them, they don´t bite (at least not so hard)
lol
:wink: :D